All most a win

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
one-smooth-poke
Ranch Hand

But, out coached and out played. I certainly hope that this does not turn into the "new" joe glenn era where they let Schoyer hang around on empty promises of "we will be better next year."
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Well, I'm not sure we really had much of a chance once we got down 13. I thought Waddell played his best game. Ewing and Ogirri were good. Afam and Johnson were nearly invisible. I think we have to get great efforts from everyone to beat a good team like Utah.
nirv117
Ranch Hand

it seems to me we have players that are to lazy to play defense and rebound. We gave up way to may wide open shots. Several were from our scheme, doubling nevel, but when we tried to press we had a defender that could have stepped up and guarded, but chose not to - several times. I don't know who to blame for that - I did hear the coach yell at them to guard the ball, and got after certain players who didn't step up during timeouts, but the players didn't respond. Apparently this team doesn't speak English, or chooses not to listen. Either way it is getting bad.

I am also getting sick of crappy unforced turnovers. Like Ewing walking with the ball at mid court - A senior guard should NEVER have a moment like that. Afam is a turnover waiting to happen - especially if he is trying to dribble.

We are also horrible finishing around the rim. Maybe we are expecting more contact than we get, but we missed a ton of point blank shots. you can't do that and expect to win anything. I don't like the idea of us expecting to go to the foul line because I think it makes us weak at going to the basket. Our goal should be to score a basket, and if we get fouled, then fine knock down the free throws, but the goal being to go to the line I think is the wrong goal, and is leading to weak finishing around the rim.

Things better change quickly, or there will be no one left to watch cowboy basketball.

I do think we have to give a third year to the coach, by then we should have enough time to show what he can do - for better or worse. I know some won't want to give the third year, but to each their own opinion.
God is a Cowboy
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

One of the few bright spots in the game came on a misunderstood command from Shroyer. Linskins thought he said "You need to play guard", where Shroyer actually said "You need to guard". So Baby Huge went outside and hit three 3-pointers.

But I still can't understand how the opposition can ALWAYS get open for a relaxed three-pointer, but the Pokes almost never can. It must be Shroyer's play book.

And yes, Afam looked bad today - his worst game? And the team did do a pretty good job on the Aussie giant.
PorkerPoke
Buckaroo

One reason the opponent is open - Sean Ogirri has to waddle with one hand grabbing his ass cheeks pulling his shorts back up instead of being ready to fly out at the open man. The dude may have a nice 3 point stroke but needs to grow up and quit wasting so much effort on thinking about his shorts staying on and focusing on playing the game.

Another reason is we were effective in the 1st half of doubling Neville and then flying out to the open man. Utah just added another dimension to their offense on the double team with a back out pass then reversed because we could not run from Neville clear back across the court to the corner. If we tried to drop down to the corner the ball was kicked back to a wing or top for the vacated spot and uncontested 3 pointer.

We continue to play like we have 4 players at all times on the court. On almost every play offense or defense there is at least one player that seems to disappear.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

IMO, the loss against Utah had a lot to do with Utah getting very hot from 3. Its tough to beat anyone when a team gets hot like that. On the upside at least we know who are go to guy from 3 is, Linskens!!!
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

Got hot from three? That is what happens when you leave shooters wide open on the 3 point line. We always let someone get "hot" from the land of trey.
WyNative
Ranch Hand

Utah didn't get hot we got lazy. Also the same kids on Utah's team have been playing together for three years and they play as a team we have two or three players that are just here to maker their resumes better for the next level. Until we play 40 minutes of team ball we are only going to be sub par ball club playing in the pigtail games.