Ideas for the student section.

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

Dude! Seriously!
Bucket of blood rocks, with that history!

But the colors dont match... maybe call it the "dirty bucket"

We definetly need to get our student section on track with originality.... like the "camron crazies". The house that shyatt built.... twice. With our elevation we should demand a hostile body of idiots. The AA needs that rep.
YankPoke
Cowpoke

Coming from my soccer side here are a few ideas.
Mountain roads take me home to the place where I belong
Wyoming, see the Cowboys take me home Mountain roads. To the tune of John Denver song

Here is one for CSU since their new coach used to be a drunk
Drink drink wherever you may be
if your name is Larry Eustachy
he doesn't give a damn if photos are posted on instagram
he will be loud and disorderly

here is another one
Every breath you take
every move you make
your over a mile high and your gona die
we will be taunting you
wyopokesfan23
Ranch Hand

Hey guys, I'm an intern for marketing and in charge of the stampede who can help get the ball rolling on all these ideas. I've already talked about doing the reading of the branding irons during intros and that will be done. Also I write the "dirt" which is just a scouting report about personal stuff about opposing players and coaches. We pass it out to stampede members. Also on the dirt I write certain cheers for the students so we can put new ones on there.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

wyopokesfan23 wrote:Hey guys, I'm an intern for marketing and in charge of the stampede who can help get the ball rolling on all these ideas. I've already talked about doing the reading of the branding irons during intros and that will be done. Also I write the "dirt" which is just a scouting report about personal stuff about opposing players and coaches. We pass it out to stampede members. Also on the dirt I write certain cheers for the students so we can put new ones on there.
This is good news!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

wyopokesfan23 wrote:Hey guys, I'm an intern for marketing and in charge of the stampede who can help get the ball rolling on all these ideas. I've already talked about doing the reading of the branding irons during intros and that will be done. Also I write the "dirt" which is just a scouting report about personal stuff about opposing players and coaches. We pass it out to stampede members. Also on the dirt I write certain cheers for the students so we can put new ones on there.
Sweet.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Pass it out to everyone not just the people that pay to be fans...
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
Wyolie Coyote
Cowpoke

So we expect the student section to be renamed to the "Wild Bunch". That should be your first task to getting the AA rocking!
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

All this talk of "renovating" the student crowd is really pumping me up. I remember growing up when we were good and people feared coming to the Dome of Doom because it would be rocking and loud and hostile and no fun for opponents. I loved it and I YEARN for those days to return.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

nirv117 wrote: General yelling while on defense is good too. I always wanted to do an EEEEEEHHHHHH, then OOOOOHHHHH, when the ball is passed. change sounds for each pass the defense makes - just yelling the whole time on defense. When yelling like that as soon as a player goes up for a shot everyone yell SHOT!
Reminds me of a few years BITD where the students would pick out one guard, usually the opponent's best shooter or PG (ex: Tim Hardaway) and yell "OOOOOOHHHHHHHH" every time he had the ball on their offensive end, as long as he had it. It was fun, especially if the opponent was passing the ball around the perimeter and the targeted player was getting the ball several times for very short periods.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

carbonpoke wrote:here's one for when we start a run:

O-X-Y, O-X-Y
G-E-N, G-E-N
WHERE THE HELLS YOUR OXYGEN

or when sandiego comes to town. during introductions:

BIG EAST-BIG WEST, BIG EAST-BIG WEST,
NOT AS GOOD AS MOUNTAIN WEST
BIG EAST-BIG WEST, BIG EAST-BIG WEST,
NOT AS GOOD AS MOUNTAIN WEST
Creative, I like it!!!!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

nirv117 wrote:One thing I've noticed is when the students try to get the "Defense" cheer going they start it off way to fast. It naturally speeds up as you go, so you have to set the interval further apart at the beginning or it will dissipate before the possession is over.

General yelling while on defense is good too. I always wanted to do an EEEEEEHHHHHH, then OOOOOHHHHH, when the ball is passed. change sounds for each pass the defense makes - just yelling the whole time on defense. When yelling like that as soon as a player goes up for a shot everyone yell SHOT!

We used to have chants for specific players anytime they would touch the ball. Air Ball obviously for one who dos that. But also things like Haircut, or stand up for a short player. we'd sometimes do research - find if a guy has some legal trouble etc. and use that. If a guy gets dunked on may a few rounds of who's your daddy.

W-Y-O is a good one that the whole crowd can get into - again you have to pace yourself as it tends to naturally speed up.

For those not in the student section (myself included these days) remember you can join in and do some yelling too. I'm getting excited for the DU game.
good idea, or when there's a pass, yell passsssss, and shot at the shot, and staying on one guy all the time....like against Ok Panhandle, there was a number 4, that looked like a 4th grader, me and my friend tried that everytime he touched it, it didn't catch on...it's stuff like that that just comes up...go with it, and yes if not in student section, help others in that section to try to get loud and have fun as well
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

seattlecowboy wrote:
Cowboy Junky wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:I like the big east big west big east big west not as good as the mtn west
That O - X - Y - G - E - N is good too.
Yeah I like the Oxygen one also.

I think after they spell out O-X-Y-G-E-N and say where the hell is your OXYGEN... all of the students should then put their hands around their necks and pretend they're choking ...and start chanting CHOKE, CHOKE, CHOKE lol
this is where creativity is at it's best, now to execute!!!! start the bus....hey sit down coach, shut up etc..

Love how this post has gotten alot of attention, afterall this where it's even more fun to be a part of the game!!!! been to many games and only got kicked out once back in 92...lol.....GO POKES
wyopokesfan23
Ranch Hand

BeaverPoke wrote:
Pass it out to everyone not just the people that pay to be fans...
I try, I give to anyone who comes by, member of the stampede or not. Maybe I could put them in the seats before people arrive. What do you guys think of putting a "target" player on each copy, one where everyone goes OOOOOOHHHHH every time said player touches the ball like has been suggested?
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

here's a couple more situational cheers:

whenever we take a charge:
Crowd Yells: CHARGE! (all students/FANS do the ref signal for turnover when they yell)

whenever we block a shot:
crowd yells: NOT...IN...THIS...HOUSE! NOT... IN... THIS... HOUSE! GET... ... IT... ... OUT!

when the opponent is going to shoot free throws late in the game:
crowd starts spelling B-R-I-C-K when he's preparing to shoot, goes crazy if he does throw up a brick
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

carbonpoke wrote:here's a couple more situational cheers:

whenever we take a charge:
Crowd Yells: CHARGE! (all students/FANS do the ref signal for turnover when they yell)

whenever we block a shot:
crowd yells: NOT...IN...THIS...HOUSE! NOT... IN... THIS... HOUSE! GET... ... IT... ... OUT!

when the opponent is going to shoot free throws late in the game:
crowd starts spelling B-R-I-C-K when he's preparing to shoot, goes crazy if he does throw up a brick

I LIKE IT!!!! this has been quite a fun post to say the least!!!!
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

It's good to see that there are representatives from the student section on this thread. We need all of our fans to embrace the challenge of turning the AA into the toughest building in America to win in.

I'm not that old school but I did see Fennis play in Laramie. I think it's essential that we bring back some old school chants. New school chants are great but they usually remain in the student section while the season ticket holders stand and clap. If you bring back some old school chants the season ticket holders are familiar with, it's likely that those chants will spread to other seats and last longer.

There is an excitement building and I know I'm not the only fan that realizes it's going to take all of our efforts to build the Wyoming program to the level we desire.

The great thing about this forum: it allows the Gorillas(students during the Brandenburg years), the 6th man(students that cheered for Bailey and Davis), and the Stampede to work together. The old school guys have already been there and done that. They know what works. The current students know what's hot today, they have the energy to deliver the goods, and they are the ones that are going to create the Buzz that brings the AA back to national recognition for the environment we create.

Us season ticket holders need to put in some work. We need to spread the energy to the older crowd. We need to invite friends to Laramie and get more asses in the seats. We need to start getting the money together to pay for the AA renovations.

I can honestly say that I haven't felt a buzz about Cowboy basketball like this since Marcus Bailey played. The Cowgirls did it with their post-season run, but it's been ten years since the men's team had a buzz like this.

The time is now. Let's tear the f-word roof off the AA this year. It's been a long time coming, but the crowd is about to return to the AA and I can't wait to be a part of it.
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

KISS; Keep it simple stupid. I liked the W-Y-O---------- COWBOYS between time outs.
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
Cowboy Junky
WyoNation Addict

Cuttslam wrote:KISS; Keep it simple stupid. I liked the W-Y-O---------- COWBOYS between time outs.
W-Y-O is great when the building is full and excited. It just echoes out of that place.

Both of those are staples of the AA. I don't we'll ever stop doing either of those two cheers.

So far my new cheers I like are the "O-X-Y-G-E-N", "Charge" and the "Big East Big West". The old school cheers I would like to see us bring back are, "Who did it, he did it", "The Ref Beats His Wife", "You, you got, you got ugly women", "He's down, he's down, he's all f-word up", "Boink, Boink, Boink" while they're shooting free throws and "Rip em up, tear em up, Give em hell Wyo."
Wyoming Cowboy basketball:

National Champions 1943.

Helm's foundation National Champions 1934.

NCAA tournament MVP and two time College Basketball Player of the Year Kenny Sailors, who is credited with inventing the jump shot.

Do you remember Cowboy Basketball?

I do.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

So far, I'm for the O-X-Y-G-E-N.
I think it should be done similar to the "I believe that we will win" chant.

O-X-Y
(O-X-Y)
G-E-N
(G-E-N)
(Repeat)
Then..
Where the hell's your oxygen! Where the hell's your oxygen! Where the hell's your oxygen! (While jumping up and down in unison)
(Till the buzzer sounds) Immediately after the buzzer everyone chants: Choke, Choke, Choke!

It would be a great chant that could be done at the beginning of the game and also at the beginning of the second half.

One that I enjoy and a lot of schools do is Winning team/Losing team.
"Is that not the score board!" (Yes, that is the scoreboard!)
"Is that not a (Wyo's score here)!" (Yes that is a (wyo's score here)!)
"Is that not a (opponents score here)!" (Yes that is a (opponents score here)!)
"Is that not the winning team!" -Pointing to Wyo's bench- (Yes that is the winning team)
"Is that not the losing team!" - Pointing to opponents bench- (Yes that is the losing team)
Everyone together: Winning team! Losing team, Winning team! Losing team! Winning Team! Losing team! (While pointing to the appropriate bench)
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

One other chant I enjoy is, the line up chant.

The announcer says, "Here's the starting line up for the (opponent)" Fans yell, "Who Cares!"
Oppon guard ... " So What!"
Oppon guard ... " Who's that!"
Oppon fwd ... " Big Deal!"
Oppon fwd ... " Go Home!"
Oppon Cen ... " He can go too!"