All MWC Teams

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
mrtnt3x
A Real Cowboy

I think Smith was snubbed here...

Story: http://www.wyosports.net/university_of_ ... f887a.html
Powder River ... Let 'R Buck!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 119 times

He was hurt half the season, and Carr had a hell of a season. I would have put him in over Fajardo, though.
mrtnt3x
A Real Cowboy

I was thinking 2nd team all the way, but I guess with UNR bowling and us in BBall season it makes sense. Just like in baseball you don't see MVPs coming from non playoff teams
Powder River ... Let 'R Buck!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

2nd team at least, but that's ok he'll be 1st team MWC from here on out, watch out for him and the Pokes(hopefully)
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

2nd best passer in the conference got snubbed, and that's with missing 9 quarters this season.
Wyogogo
Buckaroo

Hurt half the season? He only missed two games. I dunno man. I can't find another player in the entire country that means more to his team than Brett does for the Pokes. That's something you have to take a look at when making decisions like who is all-league. He only had 1 game this season under a 120 QB rating.. Finished top 10 in the Nation in that same category. He outplayed Fajardo when they went head to head. I think he got snubbed too.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Carr I can live with at 1st string, but Fajardo at second with Smith have better stats? No.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 119 times

Wyogogo wrote:Hurt half the season? He only missed two games.
You're right. I meant to put two games. Mind must have wandered.
pokefanchaz7
A Real Cowboy

That's ok I think Brett plays better with a chip on his shoulder :)
C-O-W-B-O-Y-S! COWBOYS COWBOYS COWYBOYS!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 252 times

A team's overall record always has an effect. I would vote Smith above Fajardo, but I don't think it is a gross mistake. Fajardo means a lot to Nevada (we saw that when their backup was in against us). Carr undoubtedly had a great season as well for the conference co-champs. Carr was very much deserving and it is pretty impossible to make an argument against Carr's selection.

The MWC has some great QBs; although I wouldn't want anyone other than Brett Smith!
Wyogogo
Buckaroo

Yea I didn't mean anything negative by anything I said. I understand Carr being selected 1st team, and I can see arguments for why Fajardo was selected 2nd, but I still think Smith got snubbed. Smith should've gotten 2nd and I don't think any argument could change my mind on that. Smith went head to head with Fajardo and outplayed him. Granted, Nevada got the W, but Nevada did that w/out Brett in the game and w/out Fajardo playing. Carr is a helluva football player, but he also has a hell of a supporting cast. I guess I am just more irritated with the circumstances, and the outcome of this year than I am the actual selections. Whatev, always next year, and like someone before me said.. I like when Smith plays with a chip on his shoulder. Go Pokes!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 252 times

Wyogogo wrote: Smith went head to head with Fajardo and outplayed him. Granted, Nevada got the W, but Nevada did that w/out Brett in the game and w/out Fajardo playing.
I'm not sure that is totally accurate. We really didnt get things rolling until Fajardo went out. Fajardo left the game much earlier than Smith, so I don't think "went head to head" is all that accurate. Neither Smith and Fajardo played to their capabilities early in the game. Smith was coming off the concussion and looked a bit hesitant (which he surely didnt toward the end of the year).
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

He got snubbed big time but I'm not surprised just look at the team he was on. It's hard to call someone 1st or 2nd all conference when they have that bad of a season but I'm surprised Ghaali Muhammad didn't get up there some of the games we won couldn't have been won without him. Purcell is a great selection as well but Ghaali Muhammad deserved a spot.

Next year you should expect to see Herron and Smith at the end of the season as 1st team if they can both stay healthy all season and we don't have another poop season.
gopokes1399
Blog Team

We were 4-8 that is that, Smith will use it as motivation no worries here
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

gopokes1399 wrote:We were 4-8 that is that, Smith will use it as motivation no worries here
^ this.

What does being named 2nd team MWC really mean in the big scheme of things?

I'm just surprised a lineman from the worst running defense in the country was named 1st team to be honest haha. Good for Purcell though.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

BackHarlowRoad wrote:
gopokes1399 wrote:We were 4-8 that is that, Smith will use it as motivation no worries here
^ this.

What does being named 2nd team MWC really mean in the big scheme of things?

I'm just surprised a lineman from the worst running defense in the country was named 1st team to be honest haha. Good for Purcell though.
Purcell was about the only bright spot on the line though. Because if we got a stop up front (power run up the middle mainly), 95% chance that it was Purcell.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 157 times

My question is, where was mertens all year? Heard his name once maybe.
W-Y, Until I Die!
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

laxwyo wrote:My question is, where was mertens all year? Heard his name once maybe.
I think the year off affected his skills in the run/pass defense. And plus he usually had 2 guys on him.