New Conference question

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
carbonpoke
A Real Cowboy

ok, so the big turdeast is crumbling. I understand the boise and sdsu presidents are saying they are still committed... but looking around at their fanbases, its looking like a forest fire of lost interest. Im not completely up to speed with what the mwc can offer them if the return "RIGHT NOW"?

anybody have an answer to that question? where and in what state is the mountain west failed tv revenue deal? can we renegotiate? are we stuck in limbo?

secondly, and probably more importantly, lets say that boise and sdsu decide they are going to stay west, and follow the preaching of their fanbases to form some new conference... I've heard plenty of talk about trying to get byu, houston, tulsa, and other market schools to form some new conference. But here is the question to some of you business school guys. Is now the time to form a new conference?

Starting a new business, heading into 2013, the year before big market changes? Trying to find real estate, choosing a president, staffing, writing bylaws, budding negotiations with tv. as a man that wants to someday start a business of my own, I would be extrememly hesistant to take that amount of risk with my money? in a market dominated by the big five.

additionally, where are the funds to form the conference coming from? are certain schools going to want unbalanced revenue funding?

I guess i feel if they are going to do it, its either poop or get off the pot... cause we don't have the time for you to read a magazine.
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

I was under the impression that since the MWC was formed, new rules were created to make the formation of new conferences much more difficult. I thought there was a moratorium as well.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 119 times

Wyoming would be absolutely screwed if a new conference were formed. We haven't had sports programs worth a poop for the last 5 years, so we'd be out faster than Jane Fonda on Veteran's Day.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

COS Cowboy wrote:I was under the impression that since the MWC was formed, new rules were created to make the formation of new conferences much more difficult. I thought there was a moratorium as well.
I don't know about the moratorium, but I believe there is an 8 year ban on bowl games & NCAA tourney games with no tourney credits carried over into the new conference. This is just what I remember hearing and could be the reason the MWC & CUSA didn't form a new conference.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote:Wyoming would be absolutely screwed if a new conference were formed. We haven't had sports programs worth a poop for the last 5 years, so we'd be out faster than Jane Fonda on Veteran's Day.
That's the talk though.....if the Big East crumbles, its a bad assumption to think all these schools will return to the MW. A program strength/market value league will emerge, and has been talked about for months now. Wyoming would get left behind in essentially the new WAC.......
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

J-Rod wrote:
WYO1016 wrote:Wyoming would be absolutely screwed if a new conference were formed. We haven't had sports programs worth a poop for the last 5 years, so we'd be out faster than Jane Fonda on Veteran's Day.
That's the talk though.....if the Big East crumbles, its a bad assumption to think all these schools will return to the MW. A program strength/market value league will emerge, and has been talked about for months now. Wyoming would get left behind in essentially the new WAC.......
Being left behind...in a dormant league, with no exposure, television money, room for growth, all reason's why I inquired if Wyoming might wish to look to latch on to something else outside the MWC in a proactive fashion. Some have said that WYO would never leave the MWC because they'd want to retain their games with Air Force? AF is already looking, almost left, and could leave at any moment.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

WYCowboy wrote:
COS Cowboy wrote:I was under the impression that since the MWC was formed, new rules were created to make the formation of new conferences much more difficult. I thought there was a moratorium as well.
I don't know about the moratorium, but I believe there is an 8 year ban on bowl games & NCAA tourney games with no tourney credits carried over into the new conference. This is just what I remember hearing and could be the reason the MWC & CUSA didn't form a new conference.
Yep. Makes making a brand new conference very hard and very expensive.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

DocHolliday wrote:
J-Rod wrote:
Being left behind...in a dormant league, with no exposure, television money, room for growth, all reason's why I inquired if Wyoming might wish to look to latch on to something else outside the MWC in a proactive fashion. Some have said that WYO would never leave the MWC because they'd want to retain their games with Air Force? AF is already looking, almost left, and could leave at any moment.
I see your point, but I don't think that any other conference would want Wyoming due to recent history and lack of market. Even if an opportunity were to arise, I think that the ties between Wyoming, Colorado State, Air Force, and New Mexico are strong enough that none will go anywhere without the others.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

WYO1016 wrote:
DocHolliday wrote:
J-Rod wrote:
I see your point, but I don't think that any other conference would want Wyoming due to recent history and lack of market. Even if an opportunity were to arise, I think that the ties between Wyoming, Colorado State, Air Force, and New Mexico are strong enough that none will go anywhere without the others.
Air Force has already done that.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

fromolwyoming wrote:Air Force has already done that.
Done what? They're still in the conference, last I checked.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

WYO1016 wrote:
I assume he meant they have already showed their loyalty to the other schools when they turned down the BE. AFA is an oddity in the college football world though, while other schools are looking to squeeze as much money as they can, the Academy has a pretty big bankroll to pull from so I imagine they are less motivated by money and more by tradition, conference familiarity, travel distances, etc.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

WYO1016 wrote:
Yeah, meant that Air Force told the Least "No." Twice at that.
AfiPoke
Cowpoke

I would really be surprised if the front range schools (essentially, the core of the MWC) aren't discussing things closely. They seem to stick together over these kind of things. We are pretty close knit and our fanbases are pretty intertwined.

On another note: Does anyone else think Hair and the Presidents deserve high marks for inviting USU and SJSU? I was against the invitations when they were being considered but hell! It is looking like a genius move now. Both programs are really on the upswing.
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

Let me ask this... What do we want from our conference affiliation?

Do we want as much money as possible? (do we want to be like Vanderbilt in the SEC)

Do we want as much exposure as possible to assist in recruiting? (Boise St on ESPN in the WAC days comes to mind)

What do we want? Personally, I don't care about the money, but I don't have to pay the bills. I would rather have UW play for free ever week on ESPN (especially if winning, even if against weak competition) any day of the week, that would definitely help recruiting.... No money from attendance, and a little tv money would make it impossible, but back to the original question.... what do we want? MONEY or a better TEAM?
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
BJC
A Real Cowboy

More money = better team usually..... but lack of TV hurts in the money.. exposure... recruiting categories...... which leads to a decline.......and it leads to "Wyoming?.... aren't they DII?"... :twocents:
skunkapekiller
Buckaroo

WYO1016 wrote:
DocHolliday wrote:
J-Rod wrote:

csu would walk away from wyoming, air force, and new mexico if the money was right...
solving fbs problems one manifesto at a time
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

skunkapekiller wrote:
WYO1016 wrote:
DocHolliday wrote:
J-Rod wrote:

csu would walk away from wyoming, air force, and new mexico if the money was right...
Sadly, yes.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."