DC throws players under the bus

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

http://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming/ ... bbd83.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess you could read it a couple different ways, but after these players stick by you after your ape-poop episode vs Air Force, you'd think you might take just a bit of the blame for another 2nd half melt down. It's not all just poor blocking and bad tackling. I suppose we only lose because the players can't get the job done or the other team cheats. Why not take a look at yourself, Dave. Can't you evaluate players that you recruit to see if they can tackle and block? And if they can't, can't you and your staff teach them to? You built this thing!

And what's with saying "you don't come in and two years and all of a sudden you're a ranked program". Who said that? First of all, it's not been two years. Second of all, I don't see any bitching because we're not ranked. The bitching seems more to be due to the fact that we are a losing team, not that we are not a ranked team. What the hell is he talking about?

He's had 4 years and 50 games to get us going in the right direction. After 50 games his record is worse than Glenn's was after 50 games, he's scored less points then Glenn and has given up more poins than Glenn. Plus he has no wins over a "big" program or a team from a "big" conference. Where's the improvement?

We have some hope for next year. Our conference loses 2 of the top guns and our OOC schedule is weaker than normal with Idaho, Northern Colorado and Texas State on the slate. Winning these games, along with the dreadful remaining MWC teams, should assure us a .500 record or better. This doesn't mean we'll be better, just that our competition is weaker.

Now we have to hope we don't get weaker with the annual early player departures. I'm worried that May might pull a Doctson and move on to a bigger program. All year we can't run the ball, yet we have a guy that averages almost 5 yards a carry. Instead we have a QB taking most of the runs. A lot of our problem with running the ball is that we simply didn't do it enough. If he has dreams of playing on Sundays, he might look elsewhere. I'm also worried that our leading scorer might move somewhere that will scholarship him. At the end of the day, it's all about putting points on the board, and Williams had the most.

What I think Dave has built is a team that can beat any sub .500 team on any given day, as long as Brett is healthy. Without Brett, all bets are off. If our D has an average to bad day and Brett gets hot, we might even beat a team that is a game or two over .500, but I doubt we will.

This is where we are, get used to it.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Give it time. By March, BeaverPoke will be talking undefeated season again. :P ;)

The numbers do not lie. Everything Dave Christensen's style is relies on turnovers. History suggests a good TO ratio has Wyoming bowling (6-8 win range).....bad TO ratio, and this team could be real bad (3-4 win range). The talent is simply not there on defense no matter how you slice it, and until that changes......you have to hope the Biezuns and Knapton's of the world continue to be turnover monsters. That's Cowboy football in a nutshell. Brett Smith can an all-world player all he likes, its DEFENSE that separates Wyoming from being up there with the Kent State's, Northern Illinois', Fresno's, etc. of the non-AQ world.

Good JC defensive recruiting class and hopefully solid redshirts from 2012 will help, but how much? Safe money says it makes a minor impact at best. I'm hoping something changes drastically. Newsflash: Brett Smith is already entering his Junior season. He won't be around forever, and if things don't pan out for Dave Christensen, God help the next guy in the beginning of the Smith-less era.
Last edited by J-Rod on Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

:woo: :hitit: :hater: :rant: :stfu:
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Not running the ball enough? Most of the time we run, we're lucky to get 2-3 yards, if we even get to the line of scrimmage. On rare occassions do we get more than 3-4 yards on a carry. Our O-line has been incredibly inconsistent this year. Sometimes, they get a great push up front and the ball carrier can get some yards, while other times, they're lucky to get to the line of scrimmage. For passing, one play they will give Smith all the time in the world, on another, they can't block 3 to 4 rushers and Smith is sacked before he can even look down field. Some of the fault does rest with the players.

And tackling, yeah, that's been an issue for years. Other than a few players here and there, we either go for the big hit (rarely works for us), wait for them to come to the defender (with all the momentum with the ball carrier allowing him a couple more yards), or go for arm tackles (didn't work so well, as we saw today).

Also, WAY too much blown coverage or way too soft. Seriously, 5 yard cushions when they only need 3-4? :willybs: :tickedoff:
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

[quote="J-Rod"]Give it time. By March, BeaverPoke will be talking undefeated season again. :P ;)

That BeaverPoke must smoke a lot of brown and gold weed. :poke:
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
WyoAlum1987
Ranch Hand

The Greenies in Colordo say its good for pain so its legal down there (and given the success of the sheep and the fluffs-they need it)

So, DC tossing our kids under the bus is news to who? Not to the dozens of recruits that walked out on us.

Now we are focusing on recruiting Junior College talent to fill in the holes where solid recruits should be-that is a GREAT strategy for building a winning program!
said no one ever

Sure, Burman gave DC a million dollars a year for five years, and DC makes the Grinch look like Princess Diana, but, hey, lets blame it on the kids-whynot?

If Beaver Poke and the kool-aid drinkers keep their wagon hitched to HowdyDoody Christiansen and TallTale Tommy Burman they better hope they end up where they can share Beaver Pokes painkillers
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

I read it differently, I read is the same way every one of his press conferences have been after each game. Blame everyone but himself and call it rebuilding. This has been happening for 4 years on losses we went 8-5 and on the 5 losses it was the same poop he has never once taken the blame for the team failing.

So to me this is the same as it's always been he didn't throw anyone anywhere last night that he hadn't thrown them all before.
Poke Around
Ranch Hand

Wyo2dal wrote:I read it differently, I read is the same way every one of his press conferences have been after each game. Blame everyone but himself and call it rebuilding. This has been happening for 4 years on losses we went 8-5 and on the 5 losses it was the same poop he has never once taken the blame for the team failing.

So to me this is the same as it's always been he didn't throw anyone anywhere last night that he hadn't thrown them all before.
When I read the story I didn't seem him throwing players under the bus. I saw it as quesitons about the proper preparation and focus of a team, the lack of fundamentals, like tackling and either inadqeuate offensive lineman or poor blocking schemes. Lack of execution is as much, if not more, a coaching failure.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

Poke Around wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote:I read it differently, I read is the same way every one of his press conferences have been after each game. Blame everyone but himself and call it rebuilding. This has been happening for 4 years on losses we went 8-5 and on the 5 losses it was the same poop he has never once taken the blame for the team failing.

When I read the story I didn't seem him throwing players under the bus. I saw it as quesitons about the proper preparation and focus of a team, the lack of fundamentals, like tackling and either inadqeuate offensive lineman or poor blocking schemes. Lack of execution is as much, if not more, a coaching failure.
Does anyone actually remember our 5 losses last year? Does anyone remember yelling at the TV WRAP UP TACKLE SOMEONE I do I did it every game. In all 5 of those losses I can think of at least 1 play that was a TD because someone couldn't wrap up. In all 5 of those losses I can think of at least one blown pass coverage where someone wide open would waltz into the end zone.

This year however? I had to listen to 90% of the games and very little video coverage at all. But on every game we were burnt by pass and run coverage at least 3-4 times per game and most resulted in a long TD play. Our offense sputtered at times but I don't believe there was one team on our schedule we couldn't contend with offensively. The downside is there wasn't one team on the schedule we could contend with defensively.

If the team is still in a rebuilding process after 4 years it's time to start over. I don't know what to say look at our team over the last 4 year.

2009 - 7-6 (4-4)
2010 - 3-9 (1-7)
2011 - 8-5 (5-2)
2012 - 4-8 (3-5)

Like the wins and losses don't even make sense, So what 2010 was CDC's first recruits? So are we to believe 2011 was 100% fluke? If so this is what I see ofr the next 4 years.

2013 - 5-7 (4-4)
2014 - 6-6 (5-3)
2015 - 7-5 (4-4)
2016 - 8-4 (5-3)

Our program improves 1 game per year under CDC recruiting unless we have a fluke season. I'm just going off the 2010-2012 trend as it seems to be a pretty legit trend to follow.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

I see nothing wrong with what he said. For once we have a coach who will call his players out. I like that. I liked that with Brandenburg in basketball.
I just heard an interview with Bill Self at KU ( I know it's bball, but it's still coaching), and his interview amazed me. My initial thought was if a coach at Wyo spoke like this, fans would be calling for his head.
He was calling players out left and right. Saying they played like "shi...crap! And if we continue to play like this we will get our Butts handed to us every game this year!"
I saw DC speak pretty much the same way. His players played like crap. They did not execute like they did in the first half. And he called them out for it. What is a coach to do. Do you want the coach who makes excuses. "Well, we practiced this all week long. We focused on blocking and tackling, but it just wasn't in the cards today." Hmm? I'd rather have a Bill Self mentality.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 151 times

be careful kansas, others will call BS and it will be a recruiting issue or a coaching issue! LOL. We almost beat one of the conference champs. We did a hell of a lot better than we did against the other two! I really think we are the 4th best team in this conference. There is quite some gap between the top 3 and us right now. If we can improve the defense, even just a little, we can be a great team next year. I don't get why everyone wants to jump ship on a poor season. I might join everyone else if next year is just as poop.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

kansasCowboy wrote:I see nothing wrong with what he said. For once we have a coach who will call his players out. I like that. I liked that with Brandenburg in basketball.
I just heard an interview with Bill Self at KU ( I know it's bball, but it's still coaching), and his interview amazed me. My initial thought was if a coach at Wyo spoke like this, fans would be calling for his head.
He was calling players out left and right. Saying they played like "shi...crap! And if we continue to play like this we will get our Butts handed to us every game this year!"
I saw DC speak pretty much the same way. His players played like crap. They did not execute like they did in the first half. And he called them out for it. What is a coach to do. Do you want the coach who makes excuses. "Well, we practiced this all week long. We focused on blocking and tackling, but it just wasn't in the cards today." Hmm? I'd rather have a Bill Self mentality.
So, when you get a bad meal in a restaurant, do you feel satisfied when the manager says it's the employees' faults? When a war or military action goes badly, do you blame the troops on the ground?

Look, it is DC's job to recruit, train, motivate, and direct. How he's not to blame for any of this team's shortcomings is unfathomable. I recently saw Nick Saban take full blame, in a "buck stops with me" presser, for a bad loss, and I think his record speaks for itself. THAT is a coach, THAT is a leader. A coach who never speaks to his players on the field, never enters a huddle with them, loses his team in the halftime locker room in almost every game, and can't bring himself to look in the mirror and acknowledge what's not getting done is a self-deluded narcissist.

No one can honestly defend DC's second half coaching, no one on this board, no one writing for the Boomerang or Star-
Tribune, and not Christensen himself. His inability to accept responsibility for this season speaks volumes about both his character as a leader and ability as a coach.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:Give it time. By March, BeaverPoke will be talking undefeated season again. :P ;)

The numbers do not lie. Everything Dave Christensen's style is relies on turnovers. History suggests a good TO ratio has Wyoming bowling (6-8 win range).....bad TO ratio, and this team could be real bad (3-4 win range). The talent is simply not there on defense no matter how you slice it, and until that changes......you have to hope the Biezuns and Knapton's of the world continue to be turnover monsters. That's Cowboy football in a nutshell. Brett Smith can an all-world player all he likes, its DEFENSE that separates Wyoming from being up there with the Kent State's, Northern Illinois', Fresno's, etc. of the non-AQ world.

Good JC defensive recruiting class and hopefully solid redshirts from 2012 will help, but how much? Safe money says it makes a minor impact at best. I'm hoping something changes drastically. Newsflash: Brett Smith is already entering his Junior season. He won't be around forever, and if things don't pan out for Dave Christensen, God help the next guy in the beginning of the Smith-less era.
No I will be like you guys now and just bitch about everything especially when we have success.
I HOPE WE GO 6-6 BECAUSE I'M A WYOMING FAN AND THAT'S WHAT WE WANT :tickedoff:

Actually I won't be here and after dealing with wyo football fans for so long I'm starting to not give a f-word about wyo football. It's depressing. I've been going to games since I was born. I used to love it when I was a younger kid because "we were going to be so good" from the kids mentality. Now that I'm older and see how many of you guys are just total bummers when it comes to Wyo football, it's hard to get excited. Oh well, I will be watching a top 25 football team competing for a Rose Bowl next season in corvallis.
God please let Brett Smith transfer there :D
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

cowboyz wrote: I'm also worried that our leading scorer might move somewhere that will scholarship him. At the end of the day, it's all about putting points on the board, and Williams had the most.
Williams isn't going anywhere. The kid is in the engineering program for school. He isn't here to be a stud kicker.. lol
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

J-Rod wrote:Give it time. By March, BeaverPoke will be talking undefeated season again. :P ;)
But no seriously, if we beat Nebraska, we will go undefeated, and Brett Smith will win the MWC player of the year.
....and the Heisman.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

BeaverPoke wrote:
But no seriously, if we beat Nebraska, we will go undefeated, and Brett Smith will win the MWC player of the year.
....and the Heisman.
I think BYU's QB (Ty Detmer, I think it was) was the only non-BCS player (outside of the military academies back in the 60s and 70s) to win the Heisman.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
....and the Heisman.
I think BYU's QB (Ty Detmer, I think it was) was the only non-BCS player (outside of the military academies back in the 60s and 70s) to win the Heisman.
I doubt seriously Brett Smith will win the Heisman.
Unless we do go undefeated next season, then with the first season of the BCS playoff we go undefeated (with wins over Oregon and MSU) and somehow make the Playoff. And B.Smith has 50 passing TDs with 2 picks that season.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

fromolwyoming wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
....and the Heisman.
There was no BCS when Detmer won it people were still judged on skill and not being in a certain conference. It was all about the National Polls back. Ironically that is probably the last time Wyoming was in the top 25.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster

BeaverPoke wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
....and the Heisman.
Unless we do go undefeated next season, then with the first season of the BCS playoff we go undefeated (with wins over Oregon and MSU) and somehow make the Playoff. And B.Smith has 50 passing TDs with 2 picks that season.
Kellen Moore has the best w:l record in college football history and he never got it, Smith has no prayer.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyo2dal wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
....and the Heisman.
Kellen Moore has the best w:l record in college football history and he never got it, Smith has no prayer.
That's my point. We aren't about to go 13-0 next season and then 14 or 15-0 the season after. And there is no way smith throws for 50 tds and 2picks