Leave it to a COLORADO newspaper to opine on a WYOMING issue

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

Agree or disagree with Denver Post columnist, TERRY FREI, I am discouraged that a story like this has about as much a chance of appearing in the CST or the WTE as a snowball does of passing through hell still intact. I find that fact to be utterly pathetic and a major disservice to those who purchase and or subscribe to those respective newspapers.

Rest of story found here: http://www.denverpost.com/frei/ci_21839 ... ach-tirade" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MOUNTAIN WEST JOURNAL
Frei: Late punishment for Wyoming's football coach tirade a disgrace

Dave Christensen is getting a raw deal.
The belated decision of Wyoming athletic director Tom Burman — who I'm assuming was responding to input from others, including higher-ups — to suspend the Cowboys' head football coach for a week and fine him $50,000 is disgraceful.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

I don't understand with what you disagree with. I think it's too late to suspend him as well. I agree with the article. It looks like Burman is responding to the utube video, not DC's actions.

BTW, this has been a topic on Colorado sports talk several times now. There are a lot of Wyo. alum and fans in colorado. I don't why you find it so objectionable that a Denver sports reporter has an opinion on Wyo. athletics. I wasn't aware that reporters could only comment on topics from their native state.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

You lost me at "Denver Post." That newspaper is a joke.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

djm19 wrote:You lost me at "Denver Post." That newspaper is a joke.
Sadly, that's the case with most newspapers these days.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote:
djm19 wrote:You lost me at "Denver Post." That newspaper is a joke.
Sadly, that's the case with most newspapers these days.
true
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 106 times

bladerunnr wrote:I don't understand with what you disagree with. I think it's too late to suspend him as well. I agree with the article. It looks like Burman is responding to the utube video, not DC's actions.

BTW, this has been a topic on Colorado sports talk several times now. There are a lot of Wyo. alum and fans in colorado. I don't why you find it so objectionable that a Denver sports reporter has an opinion on Wyo. athletics. I wasn't aware that reporters could only comment on topics from their native state.
I think what he's trying to say is that he's disappointed that this type of article has a snowball's chance in hell of showing up in the CST or the Tribune-Eagle. God forbid the Wyoming papers write anything negative about the program, even when it deserves it.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

WYO1016 wrote:
bladerunnr wrote:I don't understand with what you disagree with. I think it's too late to suspend him as well. I agree with the article. It looks like Burman is responding to the utube video, not DC's actions.

I think what he's trying to say is that he's disappointed that this type of article has a snowball's chance in hell of showing up in the CST or the Tribune-Eagle. God forbid the Wyoming papers write anything negative about the program, even when it deserves it.
It's strange. The local paper in Fort Collins never criticizes or questions csewe. Maybe the local reporters are afraid of losing access? Maybe the paper doesn't want to offend an advertiser. Who knows? This is such a strange issue. It's not about wins and losses. It's about the behavior of a coach who seemed to turn into Bobby Knight. And now, it's about the suspension of a coach in reaction to a utube video. It's all a bit surreal. This year has gone from bad to disastrous.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Let's be honest- had Burman come right out and suspended Christensen before we'd gone on to get boat-raced in Fresno, everyone would've been criticizing Burman for acting too rashly and quickly. Then, when the video surfaced, people would have quieted down the criticism. This is no different- Burman sought legal counsel vis a vis the contract (would you all rather be on the hook for $5M for a coach that turned out to be flawed), let the prep, practice, and game go through, then announced the suspension.

I let my feelings be known to the AD's office before the video surfaced, and, for what it's worth, I stated my feeling that Christensen may have breached contract and should at least be suspended, all BEFORE the video came out. While watching the events after the game, I stated to several people watching it with me that if I was Burman I'd be talking to the lawyers about the termination clause vis a vis Christensen's actions.

Burman has been careful, thoughtful, and deliberative through all of this, which is far more than I can say for Christensen following the AFA game. This is unprecedented in UW athletics. The only situation I'm aware of that came close was that it's pretty well known that both Cunningham and, then, Roach nearly suspended Brandenburg on at least one occasion. Everyone needs to quit looking for someone to blame- the culprit is the Head Football Coach for the University of Wyoming. He is the highest paid State employee in Wyoming and demonstrated less professionalism than a DMV clerk. He embarrassed himself, his employer, his players, his staff, and the fans and alumni of the University of Wyoming. His supervisor responded in a measured, level-headed, and appropriate manner. End of story. Time to let it go and move on and see what happens over the rest of the season.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
307Realist
Buckaroo

Isn't this the same group that was killing the Casper paper for writing a staff editorial critical of Christensen and UW's handling of this?
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

307Realist wrote:Isn't this the same group that was killing the Casper paper for writing a staff editorial critical of Christensen and UW's handling of this?
Begun by the same guy critical of the lack of critical writing about the program by Wyoming media...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 106 times

307Realist wrote:Isn't this the same group that was killing the Casper paper for writing a staff editorial critical of Christensen and UW's handling of this?
I was one of the people lighting into the Casper paper, but not because of what they wrote. I was pissed because whoever authored the article hid behind "CST Editorial Staff" instead of posting his name on the article.
TheCup
Ranch Hand

Wyovanian wrote:The only situation I'm aware of that came close was that it's pretty well known that both Cunningham and, then, Roach nearly suspended Brandenburg on at least one occasion.
I've never heard those stories about Brandy. What happened?
DocHolliday
Cowpoke

WYO1016 wrote:

Gee whiz WYO1016, you figured all of that out on your own? Without me drawing you a picture? Impressive.

On the other hand, I fret that there are several dumb as a rock people here as well.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

WYO1016 wrote:
I was one of the people lighting into the Casper paper, but not because of what they wrote. I was pissed because whoever authored the article hid behind "CST Editorial Staff" instead of posting his name on the article.
Another way to look at it is that, knowing full well Christensen's retaliatory tendencies toward unkind press, the newspaper decided to stand together as a publication, united in their criticism, presenting the Athletic Department with the rather unpalatable possibility of allowing retaliation by Christensen against, not just one reporter or department, but against the state's largest news entity.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

Wyovanian wrote: Burman has been careful, thoughtful, and deliberative through all of this, which is far more than I can say for Christensen following the AFA game. This is unprecedented in UW athletics. The only situation I'm aware of that came close was that it's pretty well known that both Cunningham and, then, Roach nearly suspended Brandenburg on at least one occasion.
He may be trying to do his best impression of the SCOTUS, but the net result is he took way too long to make that decision. It has not done anything to resolve the original issue, and just made it worse for everyone involved.

Let's face it, we got played by an AFA cameraman.

We deserve to be painted as hopeless hicks for management failures like this.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

Lost Poke wrote:
Wyovanian wrote: Burman has been careful, thoughtful, and deliberative through all of this, which is far more than I can say for Christensen following the AFA game. This is unprecedented in UW athletics. The only situation I'm aware of that came close was that it's pretty well known that both Cunningham and, then, Roach nearly suspended Brandenburg on at least one occasion.
He may be trying to do his best impression of the SCOTUS, but the net result is he took way too long to make that decision. It has not done anything to resolve the original issue, and just made it worse for everyone involved.

Let's face it, we got played by an AFA cameraman.

We deserve to be painted as hopeless hicks for management failures like this.
The management failure begins and ends with Christensen. He does his job, this doesn't happen. This is football, not life and death. Burman had to talk to lawyers, know the legal, contractual path to follow, listen to donors and boosters, adjust the path, talk to lawyers regarding the adjustment, and so on. Like I said- if he'd "knee-jerk" suspended Christensen, then gotten walloped in Fresno, people would've been all over him, right up until the video surfaced.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

Wyovanian wrote:The management failure begins and ends with Christensen. He does his job, this doesn't happen. This is football, not life and death. Burman had to talk to lawyers, know the legal, contractual path to follow, listen to donors and boosters, adjust the path, talk to lawyers regarding the adjustment, and so on. Like I said- if he'd "knee-jerk" suspended Christensen, then gotten walloped in Fresno, people would've been all over him, right up until the video surfaced.
So, Burman need not be judged on his own actions, just Christensen's? That's pretty good news for him, because I get hammered by my clients any time one of my direct reports does something stupid. Wish I had that job!

And I don't know about your generalization about "knee jerk" reaction. I would have respected it.

First thing, he could have said on Sunday he was still deciding if any further action needed to be taken. He could have gotten all the opinions necessary and the announcement made by Tuesday. Call the legal counsel on Sunday and tell them they have to give an answer by COB Monday, and if they whine call Buchanan to get it done. Call the big boosters Monday, they'll answer his call. Deliberate Tuesday and tell coach on Tuesday night. Make the announcement Wednesday at 9 am and damn the torpedoes. That's good management. Fudging around, waffling, waiting to check every box, worrying, hoping it goes away is bad management. Everything he did makes it appear as if that is what happened.

Bottom line, we're not going to agree about this. Which is cool, I'd still buy you a beer and talk Wyo sports any time.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

Lost Poke wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:The management failure begins and ends with Christensen. He does his job, this doesn't happen. This is football, not life and death. Burman had to talk to lawyers, know the legal, contractual path to follow, listen to donors and boosters, adjust the path, talk to lawyers regarding the adjustment, and so on. Like I said- if he'd "knee-jerk" suspended Christensen, then gotten walloped in Fresno, people would've been all over him, right up until the video surfaced.
So, Burman need not be judged on his own actions, just Christensen's? That's pretty good news for him, because I get hammered by my clients any time one of my direct reports does something stupid. Wish I had that job!

And I don't know about your generalization about "knee jerk" reaction. I would have respected it.

First thing, he could have said on Sunday he was still deciding if any further action needed to be taken. He could have gotten all the opinions necessary and the announcement made by Tuesday. Call the legal counsel on Sunday and tell them they have to give an answer by COB Monday, and if they whine call Buchanan to get it done. Call the big boosters Monday, they'll answer his call. Deliberate Tuesday and tell coach on Tuesday night. Make the announcement Wednesday at 9 am and damn the torpedoes. That's good management. Fudging around, waffling, waiting to check every box, worrying, hoping it goes away is bad management. Everything he did makes it appear as if that is what happened.

Bottom line, we're not going to agree about this. Which is cool, I'd still buy you a beer and talk Wyo sports any time.
Never said Burman was unaccountable, in fact, I'd say his suspension and fining of Christensen and responding to the fans is exactly that- accountability. I doubt suspending and fining his own hire was very high on Burman's list of things he'd like on his resume'. As for the timeline- good luck getting much from the lawyers before Monday night, let alone talking to them on Sunday. Even so, by Tuesday, they're two days into prep and practice. A week's suspension from then would run through the Fresno game and into the first two days of prep and practice for BSU, putting two games in the crosshairs. Consider the risks, mitigate them, then act. That's good management in this situation- which all management is- situational. To try to apply best practices from a customer service level to managing a multi-million dollar, donor heavy, high profile operation and a million-dollar-plus-a-year executive is folly.

If Burman erred- it's appearing, at this point, that the error was in the extensions, if not the hire.
CowboyFan
Ranch Hand

Wyovanian wrote:Let's be honest- had Burman come right out and suspended Christensen before we'd gone on to get boat-raced in Fresno, everyone would've been criticizing Burman for acting too rashly and quickly. Then, when the video surfaced, people would have quieted down the criticism. This is no different- Burman sought legal counsel vis a vis the contract (would you all rather be on the hook for $5M for a coach that turned out to be flawed), let the prep, practice, and game go through, then announced the suspension.

I let my feelings be known to the AD's office before the video surfaced, and, for what it's worth, I stated my feeling that Christensen may have breached contract and should at least be suspended, all BEFORE the video came out. While watching the events after the game, I stated to several people watching it with me that if I was Burman I'd be talking to the lawyers about the termination clause vis a vis Christensen's actions.

Burman has been careful, thoughtful, and deliberative through all of this, which is far more than I can say for Christensen following the AFA game. This is unprecedented in UW athletics. The only situation I'm aware of that came close was that it's pretty well known that both Cunningham and, then, Roach nearly suspended Brandenburg on at least one occasion. Everyone needs to quit looking for someone to blame- the culprit is the Head Football Coach for the University of Wyoming. He is the highest paid State employee in Wyoming and demonstrated less professionalism than a DMV clerk. He embarrassed himself, his employer, his players, his staff, and the fans and alumni of the University of Wyoming. His supervisor responded in a measured, level-headed, and appropriate manner. End of story. Time to let it go and move on and see what happens over the rest of the season.
I agree.
WyoAlum1987
Ranch Hand

Wyovanian wrote:
Lost Poke wrote:

Never said Burman was unaccountable, in fact, I'd say his suspension and fining of Christensen and responding to the fans is exactly that- accountability. I doubt suspending and fining his own hire was very high on Burman's list of things he'd like on his resume'. As for the timeline- good luck getting much from the lawyers before Monday night, let alone talking to them on Sunday. Even so, by Tuesday, they're two days into prep and practice. A week's suspension from then would run through the Fresno game and into the first two days of prep and practice for BSU, putting two games in the crosshairs. Consider the risks, mitigate them, then act. That's good management in this situation- which all management is- situational. To try to apply best practices from a customer service level to managing a multi-million dollar, donor heavy, high profile operation and a million-dollar-plus-a-year executive is folly.

If Burman erred- it's appearing, at this point, that the error was in the extensions, if not the hire.
IF Burman erred? Seriously? IF? :willybs:
Burman publicly supported his coach at the time of the incident, then turned around and suspended him when he (burman) was taking heat and the video went viral. Trying to guess which action is going to make more people happy is not leadership...and shouldn't be acknowledged as such by any serious Wyoming fan. How long did it take the MWC to condemn the stupidity? UW leadership should have been the first to do so, not the last. Leadership takes courage, it takes vision-

When will you wake up and smell the coffee already? We need a new AD in order to get the house in order