DC suspended & fined

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

When ya play UT too many times too close together in time ya get the burnt orange whorns curse.

I wish Calhoun and his boys would get called out for what they do in football. The service academies do have certain advantages over other programs though that I wish would be taken away because I'm just that :tickedoff: right now about the Falcons football program.
I don't like the suspension and fine for DC. This is one of those cases where I'd walk right into the athletic department. $$$$
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Wyokie wrote:
J-Rod wrote:
Asmodeanreborn wrote:Well, on the positive side, we have an OC with headcoaching experience?
Coach Kagalis got the job.
Rather had Gregg Brandon but....oh, well.... :roll:
It's only for a week, and I'm sure Coach Brandon is busy being the OC.
WyoAlum1987
Ranch Hand

I agree with everyone here. The AD and DC have screwed this up beyond belief....

beyond belief

I dont know how the AD thinks this action squares things-it looks like CYA on his part after he stood by DC when it happened. AD should do one or the other-but not both., and it wont do anything to stop the slide this program is on except grease the skids.

No true fan will give up on the Pokes...I never will
but the leaders of UW athletics have allowed a once proud program
to alienate its fan base around the state
and become an object of ridicule

This is a place UW football has NO business being
its a sad day in Laramie
and thats for damsure
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

sad, kind of, that a video surfacing forced us into this.

What I learned through all of this

1- calhoun is a complete dip$hit. I hope he gets karma his way. That putrid football team will be going to a bowl game this year. Puke.
2- no matter how you feel about DC's reactions, it wasn't appropriate
3- players don't "rally" behind their coach acting like this. more embarrasing than motivating
4- burman had no choice because of the video
5- who videos the ending of a game like that up close and personal (I would imagine a conversation on the AF sideline like..."hey, look how pissed DC is"... "yeah, make sure and film this..")
6- this is a black eye (much worse than the flipping of the bird)
7- leave Howdy Doody out of this (which I found that part of the video hilarious)
8- this is an audition on how the asst does
9- because the univeristy looked at the legal ramifications, this does not bode well for DC's resume and future. "Not today" could be translated many different ways
10- a pool table is still worse than this in my opinion
11- I think DC is a good offensive coord. he needs someone above him keeping him in line
12- the video has now 100k views. Sucky.
13- as much as I truly do think that DC has the program steering in the right direction, these actions completely blasted a hole in the hull
14- Wyoming football (besides the team) looks like complete #### right now. Bad image. Bad repuation.
15- Cade Smith will NEVER set foot on campus. I am not sure how tight of relationship Brett Smith has with DC, but unless complete loyalty, Smith is crazy to stay in this inferno
16- this incident will set us back years
17- our special teams will go back to being called "special teams"
18- DC will be watching the game from a warm place in CA this weekend. no where close to laramie
19- Poor howdy doody
20- I am seriously sick right now with the turn our football program has taken.
I know I will catch poop for this, and I hate calling people out but I think DC will be in Laramie this weekend (actually I know he will). I am catching poop because I see your locatation is utah. I have met a few UW fans who are closet BYU fans and I hope you are not one of them (or even closet USU or U of U fans) because you have no right at that point to bitch (and you should kill yourself if you are).

And I apologize if I am way off (no this aint a momo thing) but I hate crossover fans from utah, and again I apologize if I am way
off base (but go f-word your self if your you have ever went to a utah school)(or CSU or AF).
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

1- calhoun is a complete dip$hit. I hope he gets karma his way. That putrid football team will be going to a bowl game this year. Puke.
3- players don't "rally" behind their coach acting like this. more embarrasing than motivating
5- who videos the ending of a game like that up close and personal (I would imagine a conversation on the AF sideline like..."hey, look how pissed DC is"... "yeah, make sure and film this..")
7- leave Howdy Doody out of this (which I found that part of the video hilarious)
9- because the univeristy looked at the legal ramifications, this does not bode well for DC's resume and future. "Not today" could be translated many different ways
11- I think DC is a good offensive coord. he needs someone above him keeping him in line
13- as much as I truly do think that DC has the program steering in the right direction, these actions completely blasted a hole in the hull
14- Wyoming football (besides the team) looks like complete #### right now. Bad image. Bad repuation.
15- Cade Smith will NEVER set foot on campus. I am not sure how tight of relationship Brett Smith has with DC, but unless complete loyalty, Smith is crazy to stay in this inferno
18- DC will be watching the game from a warm place in CA this weekend. no where close to laramie
19- Poor howdy doody
I know I will catch poop for this, and I hate calling people out but I think DC will be in Laramie this weekend (actually I know he will). I am catching poop because I see your locatation is utah. I have met a few UW fans who are closet BYU fans and I hope you are not one of them (or even closet USU or U of U fans) because you have no right at that point to bitch (and you should kill yourself if you are).

And I apologize if I am way off (no this aint a momo thing) but I hate crossover fans from utah, and again I apologize if I am way
off base (but go f-word your self if your you have ever went to a utah school)(or CSU or AF).
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

marcuswyo wrote:

19- Poor howdy doody

Wow, not sure what to say back to that. Kind of disappointing watching some of you attack fellow fans so personally and so viscious. Unfortunate.

First, it was my opinion. And most of what I wrote was done in a sarcasm. Not sure why you flew off the handle.
Second, I live in Utah. I grew up 25 years in Wyoming and live here because I have a phenomonal job. You live in Tempe? Am I going to tell you to kill yourself or f off because you are probably a closet ASU fan? Nope. I will leave that narrow-minded (and truly unfortunate thinking) to others.
Third, if I was a closet BYU or Utah fan, I have better stuff to worry about than a 1-6 UW team. Give me a break.
Lastly, I started at UW and finished at USU. I don't regret it all. Full ride scholarship. Placed me into a fantastic job. A school much like UW. Smaller town. Not the idiots of BYU and not the flaming libs of Utah. Attacking me for getting an MBA and getting an education is truly sad.

I can't anatomically do what you asked me to do to myself. So, I will refrain from trying and chalk up your post to flying off the handle like DC did. Chill out, buddy.

PS- The DC not being in Laramie this weekend was referencing him having a weekend off to get out of the cold and go watch the game in a condo in Cali. So, go have your beer with him this weekend and pop a Xanax. Calm down a little.
Last edited by djm19 on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
djm19
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 3 times

I am proud to be a lone ranger WY fan living in Utah. I get more #### for it here than you can imagine. I would never expect it from my own fans. Wyonation is a place I come to share the passion for UW football, because I can't find it where I live. Then, once I'm on here, people jump to conclusions and judgements.

I am not mad at all there bro. I can take a verbal lashing when I feel it is warranted. In this case, I don't feel it was. No hard feelings. Go Pokes.
cheypoke
Ranch Hand

OrediggerPoke wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
OrediggerPoke wrote:
J-Rod wrote:Just thinking out loud, want to hear all your thoughts.....

Do you think CDC could leave Laramie after this season on his own? Meaning resign? You have to think this situation may strain the relationship between Burman and CDC.
He won't leave without a big payout in hand. He knows he is now non-hireable and would be lucky to get even a coordinator job at the FBS level.
Non-hireable? What the hell are you smoking? He could get a job in a BCS conference as an O-coordinator again, easy.
Head coach? No.

And what is crap that their relationship is past strained? Where is this info coming from?
Yes, he is NON-HIREABLE at this point in time and likely for the next 2 years or so. Regardless of his ability to recruit talented players and run an offense, no FBS school will take the PR hit at this point in time. We understand why he went off on Calhoun; however, the rest of the nation sees it as a coach degrading the military (and no AD is going to put his reputation on the line to bring him in).
I disagree. I think DC would get hired as OC at another school within a week if he were let go here. But i think Burman's actions now pretty much guarantee DC is back next year. Unless they mutually agree to terminate the contract.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 14 times

One question that becomes obvious with all the talk of getting rid of DC is, who does anyone think will come here to coach? Not who would be the dream coach that you want to come here, but who do you think would realistically take the Wyoming Football coaching job and be able to build on what DC has done so far...

I've never met DC and have no opinion on what type of person he is outside of his job. The guy pulled a bone-head move and is now paying for it. Isn't this his first "real" offense? One strike and he's out? I hope DC takes this week off to reflect on what has happened so far this season and think about what it would take to first get a handle on his emotional state, then work on what he needs to do to get his team back on track.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

PokeTransplant wrote:One question that becomes obvious with all the talk of getting rid of DC is, who does anyone think will come here to coach? Not who would be the dream coach that you want to come here, but who do you think would realistically take the Wyoming Football coaching job?
The same could have been said for Utah State and San Jose State only a few seasons ago. They sure look greatly improved to me. Both teams would blow out Wyoming this year.

That said, CDC will be back next season. He'll have an ultimatum like Glenn had, but he'll be back. Win 8 games minimum or GTFO.
Last edited by J-Rod on Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 14 times

J-Rod wrote:
PokeTransplant wrote:One question that becomes obvious with all the talk of getting rid of DC is, who does anyone think will come here to coach? Not who would be the dream coach that you want to come here, but who do you think would realistically take the Wyoming Football coaching job?
The same could have been said for Utah State and San Jose State only a few seasons ago. They sure look greatly improved to me. Both teams would blow out Wyoming this year.
Good on those two schools. But, for all those that want DC out the door yesterday, who is realistically available, willing to come to Laramie, and is capable of doing what Anderson and MacIntyre are doing at USU and SJSU?

My point was more of let's not be too quick to give the axe to DC. The guy made a mistake in judgement and was given time to reflect on what that mistake did to the perception of him as an individual as well as how it reflects on his employer. Let's wait and see how this affects his performance going forward and then make a decision.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

cheypoke wrote:
OrediggerPoke wrote:
BeaverPoke wrote:
OrediggerPoke wrote:
J-Rod wrote:Just thinking out loud, want to hear all your thoughts.....

Do you think CDC could leave Laramie after this season on his own? Meaning resign? You have to think this situation may strain the relationship between Burman and CDC.
He won't leave without a big payout in hand. He knows he is now non-hireable and would be lucky to get even a coordinator job at the FBS level.
Non-hireable? What the hell are you smoking? He could get a job in a BCS conference as an O-coordinator again, easy.
Head coach? No.

And what is crap that their relationship is past strained? Where is this info coming from?
Yes, he is NON-HIREABLE at this point in time and likely for the next 2 years or so. Regardless of his ability to recruit talented players and run an offense, no FBS school will take the PR hit at this point in time. We understand why he went off on Calhoun; however, the rest of the nation sees it as a coach degrading the military (and no AD is going to put his reputation on the line to bring him in).
I disagree. I think DC would get hired as OC at another school within a week if he were let go here. But i think Burman's actions now pretty much guarantee DC is back next year. Unless they mutually agree to terminate the contract.

Not so sure about him being back next year. Not saying your wrong as he might be.....BUT when you have your athletic director giving you the ol "he will be back next year" endorsement you better be watching your back. I've seen numerous times where this happens and then the coach is fired either the next week or at the end of the season. Burman isn't going to come out and say Christensen won't be back next year right now while the team still has a few games remaining and especially when mathematically they could still reach a bowl game by going 6-6 for fear of the players all giving in by that news.

I think it might end up coming down to 2 things on whether he is back next year or not:

1. Do they turn it around and win enough games this year to satisfy Burman and make him feel like progress was made the last half of the season and if not then...

2. How is Christensen's contract written up so that the University of Wyoming can get out of having to pay him the full amount. Do they still have just cause to terminate the contract or pay him less by what has happened?

If they don't win enough games to satisfy Burman down the stretch and they can get out of paying him then I think he will be let go. Obviously this is just my opinion but if you read between the lines on what Burman said at the press conference yesterday it sounds like DC is on very thin ice.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
cheypoke
Ranch Hand

Seattle, i dont doubt that DC is on thin-ice. And I dont read too much into the Burman comment that Coach will be back. I think we have seen that Burman is susceptible to outside pressure, so even if Burman meant that, things could change. Burman needs to show a little more backbone if for no other reason than to let other coaches know that they can rely on his word.
But I dont think this incident even comes close to cause for termination without having to buy out DC. I know individual fans may be disgusted by the behavior and language, etc. But you have to consider it in the context of div 1 atheltics. And that kind of language is pretty common, I hate to say. And, DC had a reason to be mad at Calhoun. So I dont see anyway a Judge would say that justified for cause hiring. Plus, new prospective coaches might be a bit leary about coming to a school where thin skinned fans might get offended by an outburst.

I do agree that the next couple weeks will be critical for DC. If he can get the team refocused, and play hard (get the offense moving again), and most importantly keep the Bronze Boot, then I think a lot will be forgiven, at least for now. But if the team just quits and it looks like DC has lost it, then we have disaster. I'm not sure what will happen then.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

during the game I knew it was a cheap move on that play, but little did i know that it would get this much pub....just when we thought things were starting to get bright at UW, it's going to the murky depths. I understand frustration but this was taken a bit way too extreme. DC really has to decide what type of coach he wants to be and if he's truly a HC type of coach. Maybe he's better as an OC?? We'll see
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

PokeTransplant wrote:One question that becomes obvious with all the talk of getting rid of DC is, who does anyone think will come here to coach? Not who would be the dream coach that you want to come here, but who do you think would realistically take the Wyoming Football coaching job and be able to build on what DC has done so far...

I've never met DC and have no opinion on what type of person he is outside of his job. The guy pulled a bone-head move and is now paying for it. Isn't this his first "real" offense? One strike and he's out? I hope DC takes this week off to reflect on what has happened so far this season and think about what it would take to first get a handle on his emotional state, then work on what he needs to do to get his team back on track.
No his first offense was the piss-poor team he is putting on the field every Saturday.
Cuttslam
WyoNation Addict

This is a post by "The Cup" ONE HELL OF A POST

If the Academy had any balls at all they would reprimand and discipline Calhoun for the Jane Fonda comments last week. That was shameful.

But of course, this is the same Academy that three years ago swept more than 50 cases of rape under the rug in order to protect their top brass. The kids who attend the Academy and later serve the country deserve our respect and gratitude. The Academy as a bureaucratic institution of government deserves a healthy serving of skepticism. And their football program has always been filled with chop-blocking assholes.

I have my problems with Christensen as a coach but I don't think anyone can claim with a straight face that he doesn't respect the military. That his meltdown happened on "Military Appreciation Night" made for terrible optics, but this is a guy who has gone to extreme lengths to identify the football program with the military. From the nickname "special forces" to his frequent invites to Gen. Pete Schoomaker to address the team, there is no doubt that DC has a special appreciation for the military.

I think there are a great many arguments to be made that DC's football decisions are leading this program in the wrong direction. But the idea that he is anything less than respectful of the military is a bunch of poop and should be called out as such.

And finally, this suspension and fine is a serious overreaction on the part of Burman. If he had done it last week in the immediate aftermath of the AF game the decision would have at least been defensible. But the idea that this required 9 days of intense introspection by Burman is nothing short of retarded. It's pretty clear to me that Burman thought the thing was handled with the apology, that the YouTube video going viral caused all sorts of Fear and Loathing among the donor and legislative crowds, and that he then felt the need to act tough almost ten days after the fact. In any event, it's not like Christensen punched the guy. He lost his cool, yelled some stuff and felt bad about it later. In other words, he basically replicated how I act almost every other Thursday night over at the Country Club. Big deal. You can hear worse on almost every middle school playground in America.

I don't think Christensen is the right fit at Wyoming and I don't think his tenure is going to end well. But that doesn't mean that I'm hoping for these things. My hope, as a Wyoming fan, is that this team has a defining moment this year (like kicking Boise State right in it's collective bean this Saturday) that springboards us into a great year next season. Unfortunately, Burman's delayed overreaction has made that scenario less likely.

At the end of the day, the true bad actor in all of this is that poop Troy Calhoun. Equating our football coach to a traitorous Hollywood bimbo who straddled a Viet Cong cannon for kicks is nothing short of disgraceful. The Academy's implicit endorsement of these comments is even worse. Even if I doubt it's going to happen, my fervent hope is that Christensen finds his bearings, turns us into a bunch of tooth-chippers and takes a pissed off team into the Springs next year to serve all those dna riflehead a fancy poop sandwich.

Ian, I am sorry about the language but I am a little worked up this morning. Listening to that smug Calhoun on the MWC teleconference this morning has put me over the edge. My whole day is lost now.

DC might be an asshole, but he's our by God asshole and I'll be damned if we ought to sit around and let him get pilloried for this nonsense so long as he's got the word "Wyoming" in his job title.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Now this is a great post by "The Cup". Well done sir! Bravo
I BLEED BROWN AND GOLD.
Kougar78
Ranch Hand

I don't have a problem with the suspension, although I don't recall Joe Glenn getting one for his infamous (but justified) gesture. Joe's was more obvious than DC's.

I do have a problem with the fine. The fine appears to me as a way to steal back some of the contract money under the guise of punishment. That just makes us look like procrastinating cheapskates.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times

Cuttslam wrote:This is a post by "The Cup" ONE HELL OF A POST

If the Academy had any balls at all they would reprimand and discipline Calhoun for the Jane Fonda comments last week. That was shameful.

But of course, this is the same Academy that three years ago swept more than 50 cases of rape under the rug in order to protect their top brass. The kids who attend the Academy and later serve the country deserve our respect and gratitude. The Academy as a bureaucratic institution of government deserves a healthy serving of skepticism. And their football program has always been filled with chop-blocking assholes.

I have my problems with Christensen as a coach but I don't think anyone can claim with a straight face that he doesn't respect the military. That his meltdown happened on "Military Appreciation Night" made for terrible optics, but this is a guy who has gone to extreme lengths to identify the football program with the military. From the nickname "special forces" to his frequent invites to Gen. Pete Schoomaker to address the team, there is no doubt that DC has a special appreciation for the military.

I think there are a great many arguments to be made that DC's football decisions are leading this program in the wrong direction. But the idea that he is anything less than respectful of the military is a bunch of poop and should be called out as such.

And finally, this suspension and fine is a serious overreaction on the part of Burman. If he had done it last week in the immediate aftermath of the AF game the decision would have at least been defensible. But the idea that this required 9 days of intense introspection by Burman is nothing short of retarded. It's pretty clear to me that Burman thought the thing was handled with the apology, that the YouTube video going viral caused all sorts of Fear and Loathing among the donor and legislative crowds, and that he then felt the need to act tough almost ten days after the fact. In any event, it's not like Christensen punched the guy. He lost his cool, yelled some stuff and felt bad about it later. In other words, he basically replicated how I act almost every other Thursday night over at the Country Club. Big deal. You can hear worse on almost every middle school playground in America.

I don't think Christensen is the right fit at Wyoming and I don't think his tenure is going to end well. But that doesn't mean that I'm hoping for these things. My hope, as a Wyoming fan, is that this team has a defining moment this year (like kicking Boise State right in it's collective bean this Saturday) that springboards us into a great year next season. Unfortunately, Burman's delayed overreaction has made that scenario less likely.

At the end of the day, the true bad actor in all of this is that poop Troy Calhoun. Equating our football coach to a traitorous Hollywood bimbo who straddled a Viet Cong cannon for kicks is nothing short of disgraceful. The Academy's implicit endorsement of these comments is even worse. Even if I doubt it's going to happen, my fervent hope is that Christensen finds his bearings, turns us into a bunch of tooth-chippers and takes a pissed off team into the Springs next year to serve all those dna riflehead a fancy poop sandwich.

Ian, I am sorry about the language but I am a little worked up this morning. Listening to that smug Calhoun on the MWC teleconference this morning has put me over the edge. My whole day is lost now.

DC might be an asshole, but he's our by God asshole and I'll be damned if we ought to sit around and let him get pilloried for this nonsense so long as he's got the word "Wyoming" in his job title.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Now this is a great post by "The Cup". Well done sir! Bravo
That's great and all, but it's not about anything Calhoun did- it's about how the highest paid executive for the State of Wyoming- THE face of our University, for all practical purposes, reacted with a childish tantrum that was not the result of any shenanigans by the opposing team, but rather of pent-up frustration. Lest you get confused by the lengthy diversion above, Christensen can't blame anyone but himself.
Last edited by Wyovanian on Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times

Kougar78 wrote:I don't have a problem with the suspension, although I don't recall Joe Glenn getting one for his infamous (but justified) gesture. Joe's was more obvious than DC's.

I do have a problem with the fine. The fine appears to me as a way to steal back some of the contract money under the guise of punishment. That just makes us look like procrastinating cheapskates.
You cannot be serious.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com ... ethics-man" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So much for this not going viral.