• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your WyoNation.com experience today!

Can we drop Powder river Let 'er Bunck now?

nirv117

Now that Glenn is gone can we drop that? Maybe start doing some traditional cheers in the stands like the WYO back and forth east vs west. Or a GO Cowboys?

Also can we please stop having the announcer (basketball and football) telling us ok its time to do this cheer now. It makes us look like a retarded fan base. When the cheerleaders come and hold signs in front of you most people will figure out they are supposed to yell.

I agree, we need a change. After thinking long and hard, how about...

Green River Let er' Buck

or

Laramie River Let er' Buck

Was surfing over at GWG and someone is doggin the idea of dropping "powder river." Claims that it was done a long time ago. Laughable. I have been going to games 20 years and NEVER EVER remember it being any type of tradition back then at a football game. I guess with "being an old fart" you lose your memory. That is a case in point.

Although "Powder River Let Er' Buck" is also used by The Broadus, Montana high school fan base, I find that it is only fitting for Wyoming football. The Powder River begins its trek through Wyoming high up in the Bighorn Mountains near 9666ft Powder River Pass with the Hazelton Peaks in view. This is a high, wind swept, and unforgiving place. It is also extremely beautiful. The area is one of my favorite places. Here it is only a crystal clear small stream filled with brook trout. The Powder flows off of the high elevations of the Bighorns into the rugged hole in the wall country west of Kaycee, WY. It may only be a series of three small tributaries at this point but it can pack quite a wallop. Back in 02' it flooded Kaycee and even took out a large bridge on I-25. The people of Kaycee rebuilt. This is a testiment to the tenacity of the people who live along the Powder. The river makes its way towards Montana picking up several small tributaries from the Bighorns such as Crazy Woman Creek, and the Clear Creek. The Powder runs muddy and turbulent as its flows through the basin that bears its name. Some have simply described the river as, "too thick to drink and too thin to plow." It would be more fitting if the river were to run blood red, however. The Powder River has had a very violent history between settlers and the area's original inhabitants. Many skirmishes between the Union Army and the Indians occured in the Powder River Country. The Powder River country is home to some of the hardest working people in this great state as well as some of Wyoming's most colorful and violent history. Before you knock something, try to see the meaning and history behind it.

The Powder River is a perfect homage to Wyoming football. You gotta be tough if you want to live on the Powder. You gotta be tough to be a part of Wyoming football. What better way to celebrate Wyoming football than with a cheer that is both original and full of history. Powder River, indeed, Let er' Buck.

I never heard Powder River Let 'er Buck mentioned before Joe Glenn relating to wyoming athletics. Maybe I'm not old enough, but it seems if it was around 'way back' in uw athletics someone would have mentioned it. Unfortunately my only memories of it are 5 loosing seasons.

Whether that cheer stays or goes, in general I would like to see more organized cheering from the crowd, Cheerleaders could really help this. I think the advertising is ruining a good gameday experience. We need to get enough fans to get the cheers going over the top of the damn adds.

W Y O

Honestly fellas, we just plain haven't had much to cheer about anyway the past 5 years! My personal favorite cheer will be cheering when we score a touchdown or get a stop on 3rd down. Those are my favorite :)

I've gone to games (at least ones I remember) since the early '70's. Powder River, Let 'Er Buck never existed at UW games in the 30 years leading up to Joe's arrival. Yes, it may have been used for other institutions or whatever in the state, but not at UW games. Just wanted to put that out there, even though I like the cheer.

Cheers that I remember, over the years:
- Rip 'em up, tear 'em up, give 'em HELL WY-O
- Push 'em back, push 'em back, WAAAAAYYYY back
- W-Y-O between the sides of the stadium / arena. How the hell did that ever get dropped?
- W-Y-O spelled out by the cheerleaders on the b-ball court. That one was just hilarious and always got people pumped.

And what happened to the newspapers during the visiting basketball team introductions?

In addition to the beer song, the band also had another good tradition in the '80's / '90's: Wipe-Out. The tubas played, the band did swimming motions to it, and people seemed to like it a lot. I'm not sure what tuba section leader or drum major lost that tradition, but I will personally pay $100 to the tuba section leader / drum major that brings it back.

Another 'newer' tradition I'd like to dump is the "w-y-o-m-i-n-g" break in Cowboy Joe. It was introduced in 1990, and was the idea of Joe Tiller's wife, IIRC. While it does work from a timing perspective with place kicks, in general the cheering part of it just sucks, people rush it terribly, and it messes up the band.

Lost Poke said:
And what happened to the newspapers during the visiting basketball team introductions?

In addition to the beer song, the band also had another good tradition in the '80's / '90's: Wipe-Out. The tubas played, the band did swimming motions to it, and people seemed to like it a lot. I'm not sure what tuba section leader or drum major lost that tradition, but I will personally pay $100 to the tuba section leader / drum major that brings it back.

Another 'newer' tradition I'd like to dump is the "w-y-o-m-i-n-g" break in Cowboy Joe.

Agreed, the newspapers and Wipe Out were fun.

On Cowboy Joe, do you mean spelling out "C-o-w-b-o-y-s"? I don't mind that but we are not in sync on the "Cowboys, cowboys, cowboys" afterwards.

Good suggestions, I forgot about the newspapers and Wipe Out. The only thing that really bugs me is the song they blast that starts with "Throw your hands up in the air" that song just sounds stupid to me, it doesn't pump me up or make me cheer, in fact I complain about it and puts me in a bad mood. Just substitute any rock song in its place. Kid Rock's "I wanna be a Cowboy" would even be a decent change. My wife, daughter and I prefer Metallica's Sad But True intro, it gets us pumped in the shortest amount of time but we are weird like that.

Rhyming possibilities though...that should help it's fate:

Powder River...What the Fvck!
Powder River...Jesus we Suck!
Powder River...Oh Holy Fvck!
Powder River...Who Gives a Fvck!

Etc.

If we have another year like this one. I'll be in the standings cheering that with you McPeachy! (Unless I'm playing next year :lol: )

Cornpoke said:
If we have another year like this one. I'll be in the standings cheering that with you McPeachy! (Unless I'm playing next year :lol: )

I hope you get the shot, that would be spectacular! Oh, and if you ever need anyone to carry your balls, or keep your balls warm, seek out someone on a different Wyoming sports message board, they hare highly qualified from what I understand!

Lastly...hey bWHYu... :finger:

The two cheers that stand out most for me are the alternating W-Y-O cheer and Rip 'em up Tear 'em up Give 'em hell Wyo. Friends of mine who played football said they couldn't believe how loud the W-Y-O cheer could get down on the field. The give 'em hell cheer was always very representative of our people, university , and state. Could you imagine hearing that one at let's say...BYU?

Back