Why is it important to hold back judgement!?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 324 times
Been liked: 127 times

First off, I will never be "OK" with mediocre athletic programs at UW. Never. And just to clarify, mediocre to me is 8 win football seasons and 20 win basketball seasons. Sure they are better than average (maybe)...but they aren't great, aren't top 25, and aren't (usually) conference championship seasons. And yes, I have been a suffering son-of-a-bitch for the greater part of 15 years and then some.

That being said, I feel it is important to reserve judgement on the athletic programs until the season is complete, and sometimes, even after we see what signing day brings. Hopefully all the head-hunting UW fans out there realize that turmoil in an athletic program (like Wyoming football for instance) is a CSewe / competitor wet dream. The mid season whining, bitching, and moaning is f-word embarassing. It makes us look like bWHYu fans, and gives our competition a boost. We all should know, DC isn't going anywhere for at least another full season. Pool table included.

So. DC and the Wyoming Cowboys will continue to have my full support. For the rest of this season, and all of next. Mostly, because I think he will get the job done next year, and will win some important games this year. Like a 4th boot in a row. Also, just to clarify, I have plenty of first hand knowledge that he indeed isn't a fan friendly guy. But it was also emphasized to him, that the guy before him was! And that made him exaggerate his asshole-ish-ness a bit. The tough guy syndrome if you will.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Fair enough. Valid points.....

Playing the devils advocate here......

Anything is possible....there are still six games left in the season. Maybe they turn it around, maybe they don't. Say McPeachy, that the Cowboy go 1-11. Drop of a surprising loss to CSU. Does this scenario change your opinion? Everyone keeps pointing out that this team could turn things around. Yes, they COULD. Its no guarantee. IMO, the odds are heavy on UW finishing 2-10 or 3-9.

In this case, what now? What if they drop the CSU game and go 1-11? Its not often 1-11 - 3-9 in year #4 of a coaching regime is defend-able. IDK if anyone should be fired or what not, but to me that's pretty indefensible. I've never heard of a coaching regime where a guy goes 3-9 or worse in year #4, and then somewhere down the line leads them to conference titles galore. Maybe it happened, but I sure don't have any recollection of it.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 324 times
Been liked: 127 times

J-Rod wrote:Fair enough. Valid points.....

Playing the devils advocate here......

Anything is possible....there are still six games left in the season. Maybe they turn it around, maybe they don't. Say McPeachy, that the Cowboy go 1-11. Drop of a surprising loss to CSU. Does this scenario change your opinion? Everyone keeps pointing out that this team could turn things around. Yes, they COULD. Its no guarantee. IMO, the odds are heavy on UW finishing 2-10 or 3-9.

In this case, what now? What if they drop the CSU game and go 1-11? Its not often 1-11 - 3-9 in year #4 of a coaching regime is defend-able. IDK if anyone should be fired or what not, but to me that's pretty indefensible. I've never heard of a coaching regime where a guy goes 3-9 or worse in year #4, and then somewhere down the line leads them to conference titles galore. Maybe it happened, but I sure don't have any recollection of it.
It doesn't change my opinion. I may drink more though (if that is possible).

1 & 11, still gets him year 5. Even with a pool table incident.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

Man I wish I could have this coaching job—$1 million a year to have an overall record well below .500 and a fan base with zero expectations of having a good record.
BeaverPoke
Bronco-Buster

SDPokeFan wrote:Man I wish I could have this coaching job—$1 million a year to have an overall record well below .500 and a fan base with zero expectations of having a good record.
IF we win out, AND a bowl game and finish 8-5, will this season be viewed as a better season compared to last year?
Same records but the differences would be
1- we won the Bowl game (+ for us, DC)
2-we beat a top25 team (+)
3- we lost the FCS team, where last year we won our 2 fcs games (-)
3b- We end up with 8 wins over FBS teams this season compared to 6 last year (+)

Similar items... we lose to the team from texas with a top25 record (-)
finish w/2 losses in conference probably finishing 3rd again (+/- depending on your personal opinion)

and on top of that DC will be 26-25 (+/-)
And be 16-15 in MWC play (+/-)
with 4 Bronze Boots. and undefeated against the sheep (HUGE +)
and 3 of 4 winning seasons (+)
3 bowl trips and a 2-1 record (+)

Remember this is all IF IF IF IF we win out
If you ever need to laugh, just remember there was some idiot who wanted Bohl fired after 2 seasons.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Good post Mcpeach, I couldn't agree more (other than DC has done nice things for many fans that I Know).
wyopig
Ranch Hand

Dave Christensen is a lot more fan friendly than the Casper Star would have you believe. He may not like media much, but he'll always make time for fans.

Also, keep in mind that he paid, out of his own pocket, for the band to attend the road games at AF and CSU last year...all to improve the fan experience. I'm not sure if he did the AF game or not, but I know he paid for the CSU game.

I'm not judging his coaching ability in this post. I'm just saying that it's unfair to call the guy an asshole to fans when he isn't an asshole to fans. He just got pissed that Eric Schmoldt published team secrets that blew up the whole ACS debacle.

In all honesty, I've been upset with DC's coaching over the course of this season, but this whole thing with Troy Calhoun has renewed my support for Christensen. He didn't handle the situation well, but goddamn if he isn't fighting for his players. The earliest he could possibly be fired is the end of the 2013 season. So, fans can either be miserable and bitch about him until then, or you can hope the guy turns it around and starts kicking some ass like we expected this season.
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

wyopig wrote:Dave Christensen is a lot more fan friendly than the Casper Star would have you believe. He may not like media much, but he'll always make time for fans.

Also, keep in mind that he paid, out of his own pocket, for the band to attend the road games at AF and CSU last year...all to improve the fan experience. I'm not sure if he did the AF game or not, but I know he paid for the CSU game.

I'm not judging his coaching ability in this post. I'm just saying that it's unfair to call the guy an asshole to fans when he isn't an asshole to fans. He just got pissed that Eric Schmoldt published team secrets that blew up the whole ACS debacle.

In all honesty, I've been upset with DC's coaching over the course of this season, but this whole thing with Troy Calhoun has renewed my support for Christensen. He didn't handle the situation well, but goddamn if he isn't fighting for his players. The earliest he could possibly be fired is the end of the 2013 season. So, fans can either be miserable and bitch about him until then, or you can hope the guy turns it around and starts kicking some ass like we expected this season.
:clap:
I agree. He gets a bad rap because of the media. I have not had much interaction with him but everytime I have seen him out at a function or whatever he seemed to treat everyone great. Is he Joe Glenn no but I think he would be a great guy to have a beer with and talk football. So what if he doesn't like the media(and it seems in particular CST). I always thought Eric Schmoldt was kinda a d-bag myself.

As you said. He cares about his players and stands up for them as he showed last game and that is all that really matters to me as far as his personality goes.

Go pokes. Turn it around this week.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I don't think we'll ever have a coach again who interacts as well with the fans as Glenn. I had the privilege of being around him a lot, and he was about the nicest guy you can think of. My brother (who still lives in Sweden) is a HUGE football fan and comes over here every year to just watch games, so I introduced him to Glenn. Joe's response? "Oh, you're going to be in SLC when we play the Utes? Here's a sideline pass - and I'll be sure there's a spare Cowboys jacket waiting for you so you look like a proper supporter." That, and letting my brother in on going through why and how different exercises benefited the team at practice, is why I will always like Glenn as a person.

And before the comment comes - no, he didn't focus on my brother rather than the team. It was essentially him letting my brother participate in something normally reserved for the grad students. Also, "Thunder and Lightning" were really nice to my brother too... and put up with his general weirdness.
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Yes, I am a DC fan. He is actually a personable guy when you talk to him. He will stand off during functions and let fans talk to his assistant coaches. But, once he gets going he's a good guy to talk too. Also, when my dad died we got those sideline passes for the UNLV game last year from DC. After the game and his postgame interview he was looking around the field. I got by everyone and he recognized me and my wife, came over shook our hands and told us that he was looking for us. He was hoping we made it. Because it's fan like us that will help turn this program around when we show up. And then we talked an more of a personal level for a while. He really is a good guy.
While on the sideline I watched his interaction with his players and he really isn't a hard ass. If there was a mistake he took a kid aside a explained what was going on and what needed to be done the next time. And he allows his assistants to do there jobs, he does not over step any of them.

I really think we have the potential for one of the better staffs in the country. DC has been successful, Brandon has been no pushover anywhere he's gone and has been very successful, Tormey has stepped into a beehive. He is a good and knowledgable coach, but he stepped into a Def that was horrible last year and that lost most all of it's firepower. He has a really young and inexperienced Def he is working with. But, people will automatically go back to, "Why did we even hire this guy!" "He needs to be fired!", after not even two games into the season. Anyone with common sense knew we were going to struggle on Def this year. Not only because we were young and inexperienced, but because we transitioned to a different style of Def. Overall: Give the guy a break! NOT ONE OF YOU COULD DO ANY BETTER! Besides, he blitzes, which is the biggest complaint we had last year.
I could go on and on, but each coach is very well fit into this staff. If we allow it to mold and marinate, it will be successful.
hithere
Ranch Hand

kansasCowboy wrote:Yes, I am a DC fan. He is actually a personable guy when you talk to him. He will stand off during functions and let fans talk to his assistant coaches. But, once he gets going he's a good guy to talk too. Also, when my dad died we got those sideline passes for the UNLV game last year from DC. After the game and his postgame interview he was looking around the field. I got by everyone and he recognized me and my wife, came over shook our hands and told us that he was looking for us. He was hoping we made it. Because it's fan like us that will help turn this program around when we show up. And then we talked an more of a personal level for a while. He really is a good guy.
While on the sideline I watched his interaction with his players and he really isn't a hard ass. If there was a mistake he took a kid aside a explained what was going on and what needed to be done the next time. And he allows his assistants to do there jobs, he does not over step any of them.

I really think we have the potential for one of the better staffs in the country. DC has been successful, Brandon has been no pushover anywhere he's gone and has been very successful, Tormey has stepped into a beehive. He is a good and knowledgable coach, but he stepped into a Def that was horrible last year and that lost most all of it's firepower. He has a really young and inexperienced Def he is working with. But, people will automatically go back to, "Why did we even hire this guy!" "He needs to be fired!", after not even two games into the season. Anyone with common sense knew we were going to struggle on Def this year. Not only because we were young and inexperienced, but because we transitioned to a different style of Def. Overall: Give the guy a break! NOT ONE OF YOU COULD DO ANY BETTER! Besides, he blitzes, which is the biggest complaint we had last year.
I could go on and on, but each coach is very well fit into this staff. If we allow it to mold and marinate, it will be successful.
I like your post.

Personally have been on the fence about Christensen because I've never actually met him. Good or bad, I've always had the opinion that a coach deserves five years (except Koenning). After that, he deserves all the praise or scorn he has earned. After seeing this video, my feelings for him have swayed enough that I don't want him gone, now. I just don't ever want to see another kneel down with over a minute left on the clock or 3rd down ever again.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

kansasCowboy wrote:Yes, I am a DC fan. He is actually a personable guy when you talk to him. He will stand off during functions and let fans talk to his assistant coaches. But, once he gets going he's a good guy to talk too. Also, when my dad died we got those sideline passes for the UNLV game last year from DC. After the game and his postgame interview he was looking around the field. I got by everyone and he recognized me and my wife, came over shook our hands and told us that he was looking for us. He was hoping we made it. Because it's fan like us that will help turn this program around when we show up. And then we talked an more of a personal level for a while. He really is a good guy.

Okay Kansas, I get it now. You'll defend DC til' the ends of the earth based on a very nice gesture. In the same circumstance I suppose many of us would as well. So unless he runs on the field with one second left and blocks a Williams' field goal attempt in a tie game against CSU, you have his back. Very noble and loyal. This scenario will never happen of course. Not that DC wouldn't run out on the field, but that we would be attempting the field goal rather than taking a knee to go into overtime.

I have met and talked with many of the players and most (not all) think he is an asshole. I too have seen him handle players in a nice manner, but I've also seen him treat them like poop. And away from the field they say he does not "have their back". But the reason I think he should go isn't really about being nice. It's because he doesn't have what it takes to successfully run a big time program. The future schedules get easier with the big teams all leaving the MWC, so maybe we'll settle into a 6 or 7 win per season team and get to take a mini-vacation to the New Mexico Bowl every year.

I'm not ready to get rid of the Def Coordinator yet, everyone deserves some time to get it together. But as far as someone doing it better, judging from your many observations and posts, I think you could. You seem to have a real good grasp on this game and a pretty good read on the Pokes. And unlike the present staff, you care about the team more than just a paycheck or stepping stone. They'll all be long gone eventually, but you'll be behind them forever.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 155 times
Been liked: 157 times

Our offense is much better this year. Our D has fixed their run D but still giving up plays because of it. I think our team is actually pretty good. They just haven't won the close games like they did last year. I don't care if a coach is a dick or not to the players. Most head coaches are major assholes.
W-Y, Until I Die!
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

Okay Kansas, I get it now. You'll defend DC til' the ends of the earth based on a very nice gesture. In the same circumstance I suppose many of us would as well. So unless he runs on the field with one second left and blocks a Williams' field goal attempt in a tie game against CSU, you have his back. Very noble and loyal. This scenario will never happen of course. Not that DC wouldn't run out on the field, but that we would be attempting the field goal rather than taking a knee to go into overtime.

I have met and talked with many of the players and most (not all) think he is an asshole. I too have seen him handle players in a nice manner, but I've also seen him treat them like poop. And away from the field they say he does not "have their back". But the reason I think he should go isn't really about being nice. It's because he doesn't have what it takes to successfully run a big time program. The future schedules get easier with the big teams all leaving the MWC, so maybe we'll settle into a 6 or 7 win per season team and get to take a mini-vacation to the New Mexico Bowl every year.

I'm not ready to get rid of the Def Coordinator yet, everyone deserves some time to get it together. But as far as someone doing it better, judging from your many observations and posts, I think you could. You seem to have a real good grasp on this game and a pretty good read on the Pokes. And unlike the present staff, you care about the team more than just a paycheck or stepping stone. They'll all be long gone eventually, but you'll be behind them forever.[/quote]

What coach isn't an A-hole? I know I get quite perturbed on the sidelines. And I'm not the nicest guy when some of my players are outline off the football field. If the players aren't respectful, they're not worthy of respect. It goes both ways. I will take what the coach says over what most players say any day.
And I'm not sure if you're being facetious or if you are actually complimenting me. So, I'm not exactly sure how to take that last part. I am a good coach. And I know I'd give my all to make Wyo what I think it could be. But, you along with everyone else on here knows that , if some unknown like me was hired that this board would light your computer on fire! "Fire Burman! Who the hell is this guy!" So on and so forth. Even though I think I could do a damn fine job at my dream job, it's not going to happen.
Besides, I got to be honest. I run the Pistol, courteousy of Ault and company at Nevada. The rest of my offense is based off of DC and Wyoming. And I've seen exactly what I run with my team run by Wyoming, even down to the Pistol that Wyo runs every now and then. They just have had bad bounces and bad luck so far. I've managed to be successful. But I'm also coaching Kansas 5A hs. A far cry from D-1.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

kansasCowboy wrote:Okay Kansas, I get it now. You'll defend DC til' the ends of the earth based on a very nice gesture. In the same circumstance I suppose many of us would as well. So unless he runs on the field with one second left and blocks a Williams' field goal attempt in a tie game against CSU, you have his back. Very noble and loyal. This scenario will never happen of course. Not that DC wouldn't run out on the field, but that we would be attempting the field goal rather than taking a knee to go into overtime.

I'm not ready to get rid of the Def Coordinator yet, everyone deserves some time to get it together. But as far as someone doing it better, judging from your many observations and posts, I think you could. You seem to have a real good grasp on this game and a pretty good read on the Pokes. And unlike the present staff, you care about the team more than just a paycheck or stepping stone. They'll all be long gone eventually, but you'll be behind them forever.
What coach isn't an A-hole? I know I get quite perturbed on the sidelines. And I'm not the nicest guy when some of my players are outline off the football field. If the players aren't respectful, they're not worthy of respect. It goes both ways. I will take what the coach says over what most players say any day.
And I'm not sure if you're being facetious or if you are actually complimenting me. So, I'm not exactly sure how to take that last part. I am a good coach. And I know I'd give my all to make Wyo what I think it could be. But, you along with everyone else on here knows that , if some unknown like me was hired that this board would light your computer on fire! "Fire Burman! Who the hell is this guy!" So on and so forth. Even though I think I could do a damn fine job at my dream job, it's not going to happen.
Besides, I got to be honest. I run the Pistol, courteousy of Ault and company at Nevada. The rest of my offense is based off of DC and Wyoming. And I've seen exactly what I run with my team run by Wyoming, even down to the Pistol that Wyo runs every now and then. They just have had bad bounces and bad luck so far. I've managed to be successful. But I'm also coaching Kansas 5A hs. A far cry from D-1.[/quote]

I pretty serious. I'd rather have a good high school coach than a bad college coach. Coaching is coaching, preparation, teaching, team building, strategy, execution, etc. The big difference between high school and college, besides scope, is recruiting. If you or a team of coaches you built could recruit at least as good as DC's team, then yes, I'd rather see someone like you at the helm. Until he arrived at Wyoming, DC hadn't had head coach experience at any level. It shows.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

Ok, Kansascowboy, you need to quote properly. I'm one of your backers buts its getting ridiculous.
W-Y, Until I Die!
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote:Ok, Kansascowboy, you need to quote properly. I'm one of your backers buts its getting ridiculous.

You'd have to explain to me how to do it. I hit quote, and it comes out like this.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

kansasCowboy wrote:
laxwyo wrote:Ok, Kansascowboy, you need to quote properly. I'm one of your backers buts its getting ridiculous.

You'd have to explain to me how to do it. I hit quote, and it comes out like this.
That time it worked.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

mobile or computer? not sure if you hit backspace and deleted the [quote] box or what but it's happened a couple of times. Makes it hard to follow.
W-Y, Until I Die!
kansasCowboy
WyoNation Addict

I'll work on that.