In case anyone cares Pokes win tonight...

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
PorkerPoke
Buckaroo

...if you really care look up the score yourself. Snooze!
Cowduck
Cowpoke

We shot 56 free throws and they shot 19. Wow.
nirv117
Ranch Hand

It was a very fun game to watch, and glad we hung on for the win. We finally started playing some defense with about 13 minutes to play, and came right back from down 10 to lead most of the rest of the way. It got tight down the stretch. They could really hit the 3 ball 16-33...
God is a Cowboy
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

This was no snoozer - it reminded me of some of the good old days of Cowboy basketball. You are right Nirv about our defense - we need to get better there. I am seeing improvement though. Our freshmen are growing up but are still making some freshmen mistakes. I have not seen Thiam play, but if what I hear is true, he will be alot of help to the team. We have not had a true presence in the post for several years, but after what I saw last night, I am not worried about that position. Ogirri got taken out of most of the game due to some questional foul calls and Davis came in and did a good job. We beat a damn good & extremely well coached team that went to the NCAA tourney last season and gained some good experience doing it.
By the way, the officials were Hall and crew and we weren't getting the benefit of the officiating calls regardless of the difference in the number of fouls. That was due to the pressing, in-your-face defense and physical play used by Texas State.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 50 times

Texas State has really began to live and die by the three this year. I didn't see the game, so I'm not sure whether it was bad defense leaving them open looks from behind the arc or if they just got hot. It's a good sign that we could overcome a team that shot nearly 50% from three. I was happy to see we didn't start bombing threes as a response to their three point shooting. Our offense will keep us in most of the games we play this year. If our guys can step up and get some stops on a few key possessions we will be in good shape and win a lot of basketball games this year. Although, I wouldn't be too confident getting very far in any postseason play with the defense I've seen so far. Thiam is a long, lengthy athlete and should help on the defensive end of the court as well. He's one of those guy that would be a very good help defender around the basket because of his length. 4-0 with Denver coming to town this Saturday. As far as our record is concerned we are still perfect.