These are the facts on Wyoming Football

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
East_Popcorn_State
Buckaroo

I watched the game tonight vs. UNLV.

The reason we lost? UNLV converted a fake punt on 4th down.
They make it, they win, if they don't make it Wyoming wins. PLAIN AND SIMPLE FACT! shoulda been ready!
It changed the game.

FACT 2: OUR PUNTER SUCKS SO BAD HE COULDN'T EVEN KICK ON MOST HIGHSCHOOL TEAMS.

FACT 3: OUR WIDE RECEIVERS SUCK! BOLLING IS THE ONLY LEGITIMATE MID-MAJOR WR WE HAVE.
If this team had another legitimate option like a malcom floyd or bouknight to throw to it would prevent teams from stacking the line to stop the run. We'd be a very very good team.

FACT 4: JOE GLENN IS A GREAT HEAD COACH, BUT AN AVERAGE RECRUITER. JOE GLENN DESERVES BETTER. HE'S GETTING THE MOST OUT OF THESE KIDS. THEY DIDN'T QUIT AT ALL.

Getting rid of Glenn is a huge mistake for Wyoming. I see so much potential, yet its so frustrating watching Glenn almost make chicken salad out of chicken schit. We really need someone who can evaluate D1 CALIBER players and who is a great recruiter.. You give JOE GLENN equal talent as the opponent and he's gonna win 9 times out of 10. You kick Joe Tiller out, now you kick Joe Glenn out. smart!

5. There was nothing wrong with the playcalling tonite. I thought it was very good. The pass that was intercepted in the endzone would've been caught by a decent D1 receiver. But leonard isn't that.

The defense played well tonite but they allowed unlv to get 2-3 crucial extra yards after contact a few times that really hurt. They couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. So many 3rd and 5 conversions on 5 yard passes directly over the middle. They also really need to learn to strip the ball. Stripping the ball and causing turnovers wins games. TRY IT SOMETIME! I get so tired of watching them tackle a guy that just caught a pass when they should be trying to strip the ball from him. Giving up an extra yard is well worth the extra 2 turnovers you'll get during the course of the game.

Prosinski really disappointed me in run support.. he seemed good in pass support but very weak in run support. Dobbs, Knapton, Givens, Fletcher are all real good players.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT THE WYOMING WIDE RECEIVERS AND KICKERS ARE TO BLAME FOR WYOMING'S FAILURES. NOT THE COACHES, NOT THE DEFENSE, NOT THE RUNNING GAME OR QB. WE SIMPLY DON'T HAVE A WR THAT WILL FORCE TEAMS TO RESPECT THE DEEP BALL. BLAME IT ON RECRUITING...YES.. BLAMING IT ON GAMETIME COACHING.. NO. GLENN DID NOT WIN 3 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS BY BEING A LOUSY COACH!

I GUARANTEE IF WE GET RID OF GLENN, OUR DEFENSE WILL SUCK AGAIN AND OUR OFFENSE WILL ONLY BE A LITTLE BETTER. WE WILL LOSE GAMES 45-24 INSTEAD OF 14-10.

BELOW AVERAGE RECRUITING IS KILLING GLENN..... NOT COACHING ABILITY. HE IS GETTING THE MOST OUT OF THESE PLAYERS... BELIEVE IT!
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Give me a hit of what your smoking..
I'm good for 3!
one-smooth-poke
Ranch Hand

Bro: Just say NO.

How many games have you watched? I think you lead your argument/comment off with "I watched the game tonight" right? How many games have you watched this year? The play calling is so predictable that I can guess them from home and be right 2/3 of the time.

Glenn is a decent coach and great for the game. He is a crappy recruiter. So, if he cant recruit, why the hell keep him? He refuses to change his ways, and he brags about that.

Glenn refuses to change any of the crappy coaches like special teams. He also refuses to accept any, and I mean any responsibility for the teams play. Just like the paper today. He blames the entire loss on the team. Guess the coaches could not have coached any better or anything.

I totally agree with you that the 4th down conversion was the momentum changer. No doubt about it. Great play calling. Something that the Pokes seriously lack.

Stutz did not have a great game. He tried to do to much. He is a freshman. He was trying to win the game (on both the INT's). He missed reads and forced the ball. I think he folded under the pressure a little.

The defense played well at times, and poor at times. UNLV isnt as good as our defense made them look. Our secondary is not very good. And this defense is not very good in passing situations. UNLV had the over the middle pass all day. They also had the underneath pass on longer routes because of the soft zone the defense was in. NOT GOOD.

In conclusion. Yes, I would love to have some of what your smoking. Saying that we keep Glenn because he is a great guy is like saying we keep Bush II as president because the economy is in shambels. It makes no sense.
GreybullPoke
Buckaroo

So Glenn is a great coach and a bad recruiter. That means he is only 1/2 of what he should be which makes him not D1 material. I am ready to move on.
one-smooth-poke
Ranch Hand

GreybullPoke wrote:So Glenn is a great coach and a bad recruiter. That means he is only 1/2 of what he should be which makes him not D1 material. I am ready to move on.

GreybullPoke;

EXACTLY!!! He needs to be both. And as far as being a great coach, I am even a little suspect of that. It is only in the last 2 games that he has started wearing a headset. Glenn coaches the special teams and they are TERRIBLE. The punting SUCKS. The kicking SUCKS. I would say Glenn is a great fundraiser. Not a great head coach.
GreybullPoke
Buckaroo

I actually don't think he is that great of a coach, I was just paraphrasing east popcorn to prove a point. The only time I saw him wearing head sets was when he did the half time interview. Every time they show him I can't believe we pay him what we do to watch from the best seat in the house. He is a great fund raiser this is true and it will hurt when he is gone, but I would rather have someone who actually wants to coach and do his whole job, not just watch from the field.
Dread_Pirate_Cowboy
Ranch Hand

Glenn's only hope is to fire most of his offensive staff (particularly Cole) and his special teams coach. Short of that, Glenn will be gone. Problem is, he's proven he'll hire an old buddy instead of hiring good coaches. Of course, if Glenn leaves, Burman will hire some Schmuck that will want to be "rebuilding" forever instead of winning (a.k.a. Heath Schroyer).
"Good?...Bad?.....I'm the guy with the Gun!" -- Ash Williams
cheypoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

I've finally come to the conclustion that Joe really isnt that good of a coach. The game decisions are just stupid. The burned timeout to "ice" the kicker when we needed to keep that timeout for our own drive; not being ready for the fake punt; not having Demo back for the punt; the horrible punting. These are all Glenn's responsibilities. I'm not trying to trash him, but lets stop saying the failure of the team is the fault of just the asst coaches.
Snowman_55
Ranch Hand

cheypoke wrote:I've finally come to the conclustion that Joe really isnt that good of a coach. The game decisions are just stupid. The burned timeout to "ice" the kicker when we needed to keep that timeout for our own drive; not being ready for the fake punt; not having Demo back for the punt; the horrible punting. These are all Glenn's responsibilities. I'm not trying to trash him, but lets stop saying the failure of the team is the fault of just the asst coaches.
I don't think you can put all the blame on the coach's either. The players should be held accountable for their actions too, Stewart needed to hold onto that ball at the end, WR's needed to fight for every jump ball, Stutz needed to be sure of his throws, the defense needed to wrap up on UNLV's rb's and qb. There is plenty of blame to go around. The fact is things aren't working right now from top to bottom and changes need to be made.
Everyday I wake up and realize it's a great day because I am not a BYU or CSU fan! GO POKES!!!
HiCountryCowboy
Ranch Hand

"I GUARANTEE IF WE GET RID OF GLENN, OUR DEFENSE WILL SUCK AGAIN AND OUR OFFENSE WILL ONLY BE A LITTLE BETTER. WE WILL LOSE GAMES 45-24 INSTEAD OF 14-10."

Really? Here's a little tidbit from this season alone...

Sept. 20, 2008 at BYU (MTN) L 44-0 2-2 (0-2)
Sept. 27, 2008 Bowling Green (MTN) L 45-16 2-3
Oct. 4, 2008 at New Mexico (MTN) L 24-0 2-4 (0-3)
Oct. 11, 2008 Utah (MTN) L 40-7 2-5 (0-4)
Oct. 25, 2008 at TCU (MTN) L 54-7 2-6 (0-5)

Just because we keep it close against our peers in the basement means NOTHING!

How anyone could defend the f'en used car salesman we have for a coach based on his coaching record the last 6 years is beyond me...
Cheywypoke
Ranch Hand

I say we keep Joe Glenn....if we can somehow hire Joe Tiller as associate head coach.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

When I look back on this season, these are the things that stand out the most to me:

QB controversy - not being able to evaluate or groom a QB to lead the team
Turnovers - at critical times and locations
Special Teams play - you name it, we were bad at it
Penalties - at critical times and locations and way too often
Offensive play calling - way too predictable
Receivers - too many dropped passes and unable to get open
Defense - they may be the strong point of the team, but they didn't force turnovers, get pressure on the QB's, and the secondary was weak against the pass

Add all this up and what do you come up with as an answer?
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
cheypoke
Ranch Hand

I agreeWyCowboy. The QB issue was a disaster from the start. You can look back to the spring scrimmage and see that the problem existed back then even. Its inexcusable that Cole made such a mess of that. The guy he picked as his starter was just plain aweful! Rotating FOUR Qbs in the same game. And of course all that meant that we had NO passing game. I know people say that Cole would be better with another year, but I disagree. When you see a guy make decisions THAT bad, I dont think you let it go on. As for the specia teams, well we all knew that was going to be a problem, and it was. Our kicking game has just steadily gotten worse and worse over the last few years. Kick coverage has been at or near the bottom in the nation the last few years, and yet nothing changed. Its just gotten to be a joke. I would prefer to see Burman make an announcement now!
NotAveJoe
Buckaroo

I can't believe that anyone would say the playcalling was ok in last night's came. Unbelievable.

The best chance we had to come back and win was in the 4th quarter with about 10 minutes left, right after UNLV scored. We change momentum right there with a scoring drive. Instead, on 3rd and 6 - run Moore up the middle (again) for no gain and a punt. RIdiculous. We converted on a 3rd and medium draw in the first quarter and that's about what you can expect - to pull one of those off per game.

On the punt, geez even the announcers knew that fake was coming. So, do we put our punt return team in a Safe Man formation to ensure guys coming off the line are covered? Hell, no - we sit in a zone return and let receivers coming off the line run routes with no coverage. Unbelievable.

But, hey - don't blame Glenn, I guess. Even if he wanted to have the return team guard against the fake all he can do is tell the guy next to him.
cheypoke
Ranch Hand

When its 3rd and long Cole always does a draw to Demo. I dont understand it, but thats the way it is. As for the fake punt, you're right EVERYONE saw that coming, except the Pokes.
Wind River Poke
Ranch Hand

Good points popcorn, but who is responsible for poop special teams, piss poor receivers, standing on the sidelines with their thumb in their ass when the whole world say the fake punt coming, and so on and so forth?
The answer would be Glenn. If he is such a great coach then why are we in the cellar after 6 years?
Bottom line brother is the fact that we continue to regress every year and this is Glenn's program. He is the man running the show and calling the shots. Yes, he was a successful coach at a lower level, but that doesn't mean jack if he can't win in the MWC.
Just how many years does he need??????
“God bless Wyoming and keep it wild.”
-Helen Mettler, age 15, 1925
Evermore
Buckaroo

Does anyone think that the problems come from further up than Glenn?

Take a look at our records under Burman. From what I can tell, the only winning program we've had is Women's BBall. Men's Bball has gotten arguably worse from hiring a new coach (read: friend), Football is certainly worse, women's soccer got a new coach and finished with a losing season, the volleyball team got a new coach and went from basically a 50.50 team to only winning 4 games so far this year....

I'm hopeful that wrestling will be awesome, as Branch seems like a stud, and Korir has been awesome for the X-Country team, but any sport that requires a team has gotten progressively worse during Burman's tenure. True, we've got a lot of fancy new buildings now, but I'd rather the football team practice in the field house and win games.

Keeping Burman and just turning over coaches isn't going to yield anything better. If we're going to start placing blame, let's really start at the top.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 38 times

I'm betting the wrestlers have their best season in quite some time. Branch seems pretty legit, and definitely a guy the kids can buy into. The rest of the sports.. iffy. Portland State was not exactly the echelon of Big Sky sports when Burman left.
ImageImageImageImage
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 252 times

MrTitleist wrote:I'm betting the wrestlers have their best season in quite some time. Branch seems pretty legit, and definitely a guy the kids can buy into. The rest of the sports.. iffy. Portland State was not exactly the echelon of Big Sky sports when Burman left.
The wrestling team whooped a pretty good proram in Stanford yesterday 33-10. The team is basically made up of freshman. If these wrestlers stay in the program and with Cox coming in, watch out!!! We could see a top 10 wrestling team in the next few years with several national placers.
CowboyCO
Ranch Hand

I am hoping for Gary Barnett for next year. If some other school doesn't get to him first.