Wyoming ranked #79 preseason

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

Pre-Snap Read does an excellent job breaking down every team before the season starts. Wyoming came in at #79 today. I highly recommend giving it a read.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Good find WYO1016.....He's objectively honest right? Says there's no way Wyoming is a MWC title contender, but no way they're a doormat either. Says the best case scenario is 9-3, worst is 3-9. Looks reasonable to me. Anything more or less is being way too optimistic (or homerish) or being a hater. Smith and the offense are the bright spot, the horrific defense is the ugly spot. Nothing ground breaking there.

Laughed at this passage....
Where do Wyoming fans congregate? You can frequent the long history of GoWyoGo.com and the openness of WyoNation.com in the search for healthy Wyoming chatter
openness....healthy chatter.... :P
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

I really like his breakdowns of every team. Very thorough and honest. Nice to see a site that reports without any apparent bias.
hithere
Ranch Hand

WYO1016 wrote:I really like his breakdowns of every team. Very thorough and honest. Nice to see a site that reports without any apparent bias.
Agreed. Great write up. The only nitpicking I found was the statement on Bizoooons and Knapton being the finest end pairing in school history. Appreciated the poop out of both those guys, and they did great things in the positions they were placed in, but all time great DE's they were not; in my opinion.

I think #78 will be Wake Forest and Wyoming wins, at a minimum, 8 regular season games in 2012.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

hithere wrote: Agreed. Great write up. The only nitpicking I found was the statement on Bizoooons and Knapton being the finest end pairing in school history. Appreciated the poop out of both those guys, and they did great things in the positions they were placed in, but all time great DE's they were not; in my opinion.

I think #78 will be Wake Forest and Wyoming wins, at a minimum, 8 regular season games in 2012.
I thought these guys were dead on with the realistic approach...3 wins is the minimum. Can't rule out disaster after what happened in 2010 (UW had "turned the corner" then too). 9 wins at maximum. Defense still has a very long ways to go.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

#79 Wow...we...suck.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

McPeachy wrote:#79 Wow...we...suck.
Meh, that's certainly better than where people normally place us (95-120).
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

I think we have just as much chance to beat anyone in the conference this year I think BSU will be slightly overrated while adjusting to lost players but by now means are they walking away with wins. That however is just my opinion on it all.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Wyo2dal wrote:I think we have just as much chance to beat anyone in the conference this year I think BSU will be slightly overrated while adjusting to lost players but by now means are they walking away with wins. That however is just my opinion on it all.
A little bit of wishful thinking on your part. The last time BSU lost this many guys, they went 12-0 and destroyed the Oregon Ducks in Eugene. The biggest returnee for them is Chris Petersen...Not to mention, they still have far more talent and depth than any team in the MWC, at every position. Its these kind of BSU teams that wreak havoc....the ones you where you can't identify their players.

Pat Hill said it the best...."Boise State has a strong history of getting people nobody knows about to play a standard that nobody can forget about"

That's the scary thing.....they now have the recruits they've been hoping for. This is the year people really feel the effects of those BCS bowl wins.
hithere
Ranch Hand

Wyo2dal wrote:I think we have just as much chance to beat anyone in the conference this year I think BSU will be slightly overrated while adjusting to lost players but by now means are they walking away with wins. That however is just my opinion on it all.
Agreed. I have the same opinion.

And looking at Boise State's schedule this year, as opposed to past years, I see 6 guaranteed W's. It's highly doubtful they'll lose the other six and based on recent experience, they have an excellent chance of winning most of them. They've been good enough that if they get 10 wins, it'll be considered by their fans as an off year. As for conference games, they'll most likely waltz through the year again outside Nevada and maybe Wyoming. But at Southern Miss, at Mich State and home against BYU will be very tough for them.

I'm betting they'll lose at Michigan State and then we'll see what happens.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Again, only 4 years ago BSU lost more starters on offense and defense than they do this year. In fact, Chris Petersen started 13 freshman total including some small 5-11 geeky looking QB that belonged in junior college.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/coll ... estate.htm

^^^13 freshman, no experience, 12-1. Only loss came to TCU, by one point.

This 2012 Boise State teams recruiting blows away the past teams. The benefit of being in the spotlight showed up on signing day. This years team has some inexperienced spots, but they'll be head and shoulders above the entire conference in terms of overall talent. No team is better prepared week in and week out than BSU. No doubt the Broncos win 11 games this year, maybe 12 if they sneak past Michigan State.

Much like TCU last year, BSU will be good but shaky in the early season, great in the mid-season, and back to destroying everyone in the late season.
Last edited by J-Rod on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

J-Rod wrote:
A little bit of wishful thinking on your part. The last time BSU lost this many guys, they went 12-0 and destroyed the Oregon Ducks in Eugene. The biggest returnee for them is Chris Petersen...Not to mention, they still have far more talent and depth than any team in the MWC, at every position. Its these kind of BSU teams that wreak havoc....the ones you where you can't identify their players.

Pat Hill said it the best...."Boise State has a strong history of getting people nobody knows about to play a standard that nobody can forget about"

That's the scary thing.....they now have the recruits they've been hoping for. This is the year people really feel the effects of those BCS bowl wins.
With BSU's low standards they can also take in transfers that other programs can't.
Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

J-Rod wrote:Again, only 4 years ago BSU lost more starters on offense and defense than they do this year. In fact, Chris Petersen started 13 freshman total including some small 5-11 geeky looking QB that belonged in junior college.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/coll ... estate.htm

^^^13 freshman, no experience, 12-1. Only loss came to TCU, by one point.

This 2012 Boise State teams recruiting blows away the past teams. The benefit of being in the spotlight showed up on signing day. This years team has some inexperienced spots, but they'll be head and shoulders above the entire conference in terms of overall talent. No team is better prepared week in and week out than BSU. No doubt the Broncos win 11 games this year, maybe 12 if they sneak past Michigan State.

Much like TCU last year, BSU will be good but shaky in the early season, great in the mid-season, and back to destroying everyone in the late season.
Exactly who outside of Oregon is on that schedule worth talking about? We have been down this road there is a reason in 2008 they didn't get poop for a Bowl Game because the schedule they played was weak as poop.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Wyo2dal wrote: Exactly who outside of Oregon is on that schedule worth talking about? We have been down this road there is a reason in 2008 they didn't get poop for a Bowl Game because the schedule they played was weak as poop.
Sure the schedule was weak...but you can't use that to discount a shocking win like that in Eugene. Nobody beats Oregon there (except Boise and USC). My point is, the Broncos will reload. The talent on offense and defense is still the MWC's best by a long shot. Recruiting like that pays off. They're obviously the best coached as well. Nobody prepares better than Petersen and the Broncos.

This will be BSU's most inexperienced team since 2008. It will also be the biggest, fastest, and strongest they've ever been. Like I said, 2012 will be something similar to what TCU went through last year. A little shaky in the beginning, good in the middle, and dominant towards the end of the season.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

J-Rod wrote:
Wyo2dal wrote: Exactly who outside of Oregon is on that schedule worth talking about? We have been down this road there is a reason in 2008 they didn't get poop for a Bowl Game because the schedule they played was weak as poop.
Sure the schedule was weak...but you can't use that to discount a shocking win like that in Eugene. Nobody beats Oregon there (except Boise and USC). My point is, the Broncos will reload. The talent on offense and defense is still the MWC's best by a long shot. Recruiting like that pays off. They're obviously the best coached as well. Nobody prepares better than Petersen and the Broncos.

This will be BSU's most inexperienced team since 2008. It will also be the biggest, fastest, and strongest they've ever been. Like I said, 2012 will be something similar to what TCU went through last year. A little shaky in the beginning, good in the middle, and dominant towards the end of the season.
Nobody beats Tennessee in Neyland either - Wyoming did and I don't think we were all that good a team that year either. Wyoming gave BSU probably the 2nd toughest game they had last year and on the smurf turf. I'm not predicting a win over BSU this year, but if things fall into place for the Pokes this year, it's a damn good possibility.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

WYCowboy wrote: Nobody beats Tennessee in Neyland either - Wyoming did and I don't think we were all that good a team that year either. Wyoming gave BSU probably the 2nd toughest game they had last year and on the smurf turf. I'm not predicting a win over BSU this year, but if things fall into place for the Pokes this year, it's a damn good possibility.
Tennessee is nowhere near the juggernaut Oregon is, but whatever...that's not the point. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but most would agree (non-Wyoming fans) that the Poke defense is way off from putting this team in the 10+ win world. Losing Biezuns and Knapton is a much bigger deal than some might want to let on. The front seven was an issue last year, it might be even worse this season. Not to mention, the offensive line had some issues this spring too....its not like Brett Smith is guaranteed to dominate next season.

Again, you can believe what you want to believe, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Wyoming in the 6-6 range this year. Might need to take the other teams on the schedule seriously before calling out Boise State.

Its all in good fun though.....the other MWC fans think Poke fans are nuts.....Wyoming is 2012's "San Diego State fans"....one 8-win season and now they're a world power. :lol: This summer needs to hurry up. :coffee:
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

J-Rod wrote:
WYCowboy wrote: Nobody beats Tennessee in Neyland either - Wyoming did and I don't think we were all that good a team that year either. Wyoming gave BSU probably the 2nd toughest game they had last year and on the smurf turf. I'm not predicting a win over BSU this year, but if things fall into place for the Pokes this year, it's a damn good possibility.
Tennessee is nowhere near the juggernaut Oregon is, but whatever...that's not the point. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but most would agree (non-Wyoming fans) that the Poke defense is way off from putting this team in the 10+ win world. Losing Biezuns and Knapton is a much bigger deal than some might want to let on. The front seven was an issue last year, it might be even worse this season. Not to mention, the offensive line had some issues this spring too....its not like Brett Smith is guaranteed to dominate next season.

Again, you can believe what you want to believe, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Wyoming in the 6-6 range this year. Might need to take the other teams on the schedule seriously before calling out Boise State.

Its all in good fun though.....the other MWC fans think Poke fans are nuts.....Wyoming is 2012's "San Diego State fans"....one 8-win season and now they're a world power. :lol: This summer needs to hurry up. :coffee:
What you are neglecting to mention is Wyoming was 123rd in the country against the run with Biezuns & Knapton in there. I'm not saying our DL will be better, but I doubt we will be worse. Steps were taken to address the defense in the off season with a new defensive coordinator. Wyoming might very well have the top LB & defensive secondary in the conference this season. There are some question marks in other areas that we will find out about come fall.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

WYCowboy wrote: What you are neglecting to mention is Wyoming was 123rd in the country against the run with Biezuns & Knapton in there. I'm not saying our DL will be better, but I doubt we will be worse. Steps were taken to address the defense in the off season with a new defensive coordinator. Wyoming might very well have the top LB & defensive secondary in the conference this season. There are some question marks in other areas that we will find out about come fall.
Its all subject to opinion.....like I said, I could see UW going anywhere from 9-3 to 3-9. I don't think everything falls their way, but not everything will go against them either ala 2010.

Just read Athlons magazine while at the store.....they have Wyoming vs. SMU in the Hawaii Bowl. Would make for an interesting month of December on WyoNation, huh alyssa? ;)