OT: Guilty or Innocent?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Snowflake
Cowpoke

J-Rod wrote:
Snowflake wrote: If it had happened in Oklahoma, JoePa would have gone to jail. Period.
Yeah.....Wyokie will differ on that one, I guarantee you.
He can differ with me all he wants. I testify in this kind of trials all the time.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

J-Rod wrote:
Snowflake wrote: If it had happened in Oklahoma, JoePa would have gone to jail. Period.
If JoePa was the HC at Oklahoma, the ONLY county that could convict him would be Payne County where Stillwater is.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Snowflake
Cowpoke

Wyokie wrote:
J-Rod wrote:
If JoePa was the HC at Oklahoma, the ONLY county that could convict him would be Payne County where Stillwater is.
He committed a felony. Simple as that. He failed to report suspected child abuse, he covered up suspected child abuse, and he enabled a child abuser. I have worked with women in prison for less.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Snowflake wrote:
If it had happened in Oklahoma, JoePa would have gone to jail. Period.
Does Oklahoma have a really strict potential child/elderly abuse reporting statute? Most times people don't have an affirmative duty to do anything. One big exception is that educators/people in positions of authority may have a duty if required by statute. Personally, when it comes to potential child/elderly abuse I prefer strict statutes (ones that do not allow such an individual to pass the buck). Under PA law, I think it is clear that JoePa did not break the law (however, did he break a moral obligation? IMO, I would say yes).

BTW, thanks for the histrionic breakdown. You seem very knowledgeable! ...and now that I know a little bit about it, I swear that I've dated some girls with that lol
Snowflake
Cowpoke

We do, and the laws have recently become more strict. Mandated reporters (parents, family, teachers/school personnel, day care providers, medical personnel, LE, social services providers, etc) are held to a higher standard, but anyone with reasonable knowledge or suspicion of the abuse of a child is required to report, and failure to do so an imprisonable offense.

And yes... If you've ever dated any woman, some of that will look familiar ;)
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

The problem with this case is that it does present a philosophical challenge to a great notion- presumed innocence. If not for that concept, anyone a politician didn't like could be rounded up and held on whatever charge the politician wants to claim, followed by the reputation-destroying coverage. Think of Richard Pearl- the (as it turned out) completely innocent security worker at the Atlanta Olympics whose identity was "leaked" by the DOJ and FBI. What he went through was bad enough, but modify the foundation of our justice system- presumed innocence, and he would also have been incarcerated the whole time.

All that being said- here's the latest affront to all of our better angels...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/18/pr ... g-unaired/
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

Wyovanian wrote:The problem with this case is that it does present a philosophical challenge to a great notion- presumed innocence. If not for that concept, anyone a politician didn't like could be rounded up and held on whatever charge the politician wants to claim, followed by the reputation-destroying coverage. Think of Richard Pearl- the (as it turned out) completely innocent security worker at the Atlanta Olympics whose identity was "leaked" by the DOJ and FBI. What he went through was bad enough, but modify the foundation of our justice system- presumed innocence, and he would also have been incarcerated the whole time.

Wow. How in the HELL did they not include that in the original broadcast?! I take everything from Fox News with a grain of salt, but if this is true he's done.
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

WYO1016 wrote:
Wyovanian wrote:The problem with this case is that it does present a philosophical challenge to a great notion- presumed innocence. If not for that concept, anyone a politician didn't like could be rounded up and held on whatever charge the politician wants to claim, followed by the reputation-destroying coverage. Think of Richard Pearl- the (as it turned out) completely innocent security worker at the Atlanta Olympics whose identity was "leaked" by the DOJ and FBI. What he went through was bad enough, but modify the foundation of our justice system- presumed innocence, and he would also have been incarcerated the whole time.

Wow. How in the HELL did they not include that in the original broadcast?! I take everything from Fox News with a grain of salt, but if this is true he's done.
i'd say he had plenty of rope there
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

Guilty of about everything. goodbye you f-word bastard!
W-Y, Until I Die!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

.45 to the brain would save the PA tax payers some money.. but then again, prison is full of people who hate pedophiles, so maybe he'll get a taste of his own medicine.
ImageImageImageImage
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Justice is served....nothing to celebrate about, its still tough to see someone know their life is for all intents and purposes over, but the victims can now move on.

Tough lesson for everyone involved.....you never know if someone close to you is capable of something like this. I always wondered why my mother would make sure if I went over to a friends house, or coaches house, etc. that they met the adult in charge first. You just never know when someone as sick as Jerry Sundusky can be involved.
Snowflake
Cowpoke

MrTitleist wrote:.45 to the brain would save the PA tax payers some money.. but then again, prison is full of people who hate pedophiles, so maybe he'll get a taste of his own medicine.
This. I used to work at a women's prison and even they beat the poop out of women who abused or allowed their kids to be abused... There's even a story of a raping with a homemade kitty device made of jolly ranchers.

Dude is screwed.
Literally and figuratively.
Snowflake
Cowpoke

J-Rod wrote:Justice is served....nothing to celebrate about, its still tough to see someone know their life is for all intents and purposes over, but the victims can now move on.

Tough lesson for everyone involved.....you never know if someone close to you is capable of something like this. I always wondered why my mother would make sure if I went over to a friends house, or coaches house, etc. that they met the adult in charge first. You just never know when someone as sick as Jerry Sundusky can be involved.
90% of the time it's someone you know and trust, not a stranger. Your mom was smart.
alyssa
A Real Cowboy

I was watching 10,000 metres olympic trials finals (and those races have emotionally exhausted me) and the news about JS came along the bottom of the screen.

So few go to prison for the the deed crimes they commit but I just knew he would be found guilty because he has so many victims..............
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Sandusky's trial is over, but I doubt this entire debacle is finished. If there was in fact a cover up, the people involved are in deep poop as well.....
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

I have reserved judgment on this case for many many months because I don't know the full story. I don't know the full story now (and I don't want to know anymore), but enough of it is out to convict the man. You never really know if these cases are going to be a witch hunt or just some seriously sick bastard running the show. Looks like it was the later. Paterno at least did something - his bosses at the time should be in prison next because they dropped the ball and covered it up.

I hope the victims get something out of this. They had it bad to begin with, then were involved in a charity that was a front for the deed. I'd be suprised if they can trust anyone/anything.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

I also agree, justice was served. There are no winners here. Hopefully, the publicity of this case will help other true victims come forward to make sure no single person can ever destroy so many lives again.
Snowflake
Cowpoke

Ive read a lot of good cause affidavits in my career. The moment I finished this one, I knew he was guilty. I would have bet a year salary on his guilt - the statements made by the victims were so similar to many other cases I've worked with. Sandusky exhibited classic grooming behaviors and often targeted vulnerable youth. Textbook pedo case. I would not be surprised if he has hundreds of victims.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

Exactly snowflake! Remember that pizza hut manager that kidnapped that one boy for 6 years or something? He kept that kid around by showering him with gifts. He didn't get caught until the boy got too old and he tried getting him a younger boy.
W-Y, Until I Die!
BJC
A Real Cowboy

Hopefully McQuirey will be the guard over the showers