The Rant (Long)

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

I haven't posted much this fall...and have taken the stance of sitting back and watching / reading all the stuff that is going on in the world of college sports (nationally, but more important regionally).

I am wondering how all you true UW fans feel about all of these changes & developments. Personally, I have always enjoyed rivalry games, and competing at a decent level...mostly for football, but also basketball. With all the shuffling and begging and pleading going on, with certain teams already joining other conferences, and others that are on the cusp...are we losing the luster? Are we becoming irrelevant (our sports programs)?

Wyoming is never mentioned for changing conferences / expansion, and probably will never be. Is it at a cost of poor AD decisions in the late 90's and 00's that have created an attitude of indifference in the UW athletic department? Take Boise for example...they weren't poop 15 years ago, and now, they are holding all the cards. That isn't about anything but having a desire to win, and then winning. They obviously took a different approach in their AD department, than UW took in ours (with Moon, Barta, & Burman at the helm).

So again, painting the picture. What happens to UW, and our fanbase, when we are relegated to a situation that limits all rivalry games, and limits regional games that provide a decent level of desirable competition? Do we become another Idaho? And if so, when revenue decreases, CJC donations decrease (again, because we are not playing at a desirable level), and the budgets of our teams get the axe, is it good-bye to UW athletics as we once knew them? Does our fanbase become apathetic, like how I feel it will, for the most-part?

Further, I know some look at athletics with a so-what attitude. They could care less if they exsisted. But I think that is a very dangerous stance for the people in charge to embrace. For example, Utah's application for enrollment increased 17% when they announced the Pac 12 move. What would happen to UW's application for enrollment, when we are sent the message that athletics don't matter, and we are relegated to competing with fellow basement dwellers?

Last, could the current administration have done anything to prevent, what I see, is a very boring, bleak, athletic future? I think so. I think you get out of it, what you put into it. And I don't think they "put into it" the last few years...like Boise did...or like they SHOULD have. This isn't shaping up to be fun, in my opinion. Pick it up for your second favorite team, and start buying gear (only if they are AQ BCS level though), if you want any kind of relevance / satisfaction as a fan.

Damn. I am a college sports fan first (or was). Now I am faced with an NBA I already hate, MLB that is a joke with free agency and .300 BA's being considered "good", the NHL that doesn't get exposure it should (people don't understand the game), and the NFL is becoming a don't-hit-to-hard league. What is left?

:brick:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I put the blame of UW Athletics being mediocre at best and for the most part downright awful for the last 12 years squarely on the apathetic and severely lacking foresight of the Wyoming State Legislature and their decisions to not fund the athletic department to the mid-level of the MWC. The administration of UW also deserves a great deal of blame for their poor decisions in hiring ADs and the importance of UW Athletics. There are many, many examples of how a university's successful athletic department builds a university and support for that university. McP is absolutely correct in that BSU's football program completely built BSU from a juco to what they have today in a very short amount of time.
Our legislature said "good enough" over the last 12 years and look where we are now in the whole scheme of things that are going on at this time.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Some of it is due to not being very competitive these last few years in most of our athletics programs but the main reason is because of Wyoming's sparse population. It is what it is. Not that Boise has a huge population but the metro area of Boise has more people in it now than the whole state of Wyoming.

Wyoming academically is a good enough school to be considered for expansion it is mainly population base for the most part and then a minor part is the athletics not being as good in my opinion.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator

Well, UW probably has as many fans spread out along the front range of Colorado as they do in Wyoming. Wyoming would very likely have twice the number of fans if we fielded competitive teams a lot more often. I would be willing to bet at least 50% of the people don't think of academics when they think of UW. More people think of athletics than they do academics. In other words, athletics is a better advertisement for UW than academics. If you want to find out, drop UW down to FCS and see what it does to enrollment and donors.
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

WYCowboy wrote:Well, UW probably has as many fans spread out along the front range of Colorado as they do in Wyoming. Wyoming would very likely have twice the number of fans if we fielded competitive teams a lot more often. I would be willing to bet at least 50% of the people don't think of academics when they think of UW. More people think of athletics than they do academics. In other words, athletics is a better advertisement for UW than academics. If you want to find out, drop UW down to FCS and see what it does to enrollment and donors.
dropping to the fcs would be the end of cowboy footbal imho
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator

wyosteelerfan wrote:
WYCowboy wrote:Well, UW probably has as many fans spread out along the front range of Colorado as they do in Wyoming. Wyoming would very likely have twice the number of fans if we fielded competitive teams a lot more often. I would be willing to bet at least 50% of the people don't think of academics when they think of UW. More people think of athletics than they do academics. In other words, athletics is a better advertisement for UW than academics. If you want to find out, drop UW down to FCS and see what it does to enrollment and donors.
dropping to the fcs would be the end of cowboy footbal imho
I totally agree.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Let me also say...I don't see UW ever dropping down to the FCS level. At least not of their own doing. BUT, I could see that whichever University (or Universities) are left after some of this realignment / expansion dust settles, might as well. It is the same thing, at that point. Having no competition that is worth a poop, having no rivalries left (or very, very few of them), playing a schedule that yields nothing exciting for the fan base, and having no shot at anything significant = FCS level football.

Shame on UW, the state elected officials, BOT's, athletic department, the leadership, and everyone else that has a say or valued opinion, for letting it get to this point at UW, and for looking adversity & challenge in the face with that emotionless look of not caring.
Last edited by McPeachy on Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dear Karma,

Wyo2dal
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 1 time

TBH I have completely forgotten about the conference changes because how I feel about this is not relevant to anything and certainly has no effect on the outcome.

I don't care how it all ends, MWC is in trouble and it's very obvious I just hope all the teams that jump ship now are completely screwed when the Big East fades into oblivion and they lose their AQ status.

Aside from that as long as I have Wyoming games to watch I'm ok with that. I must admit I miss the rivalries that are already gone and it's rather likely we will see more rivalries being lost.
AfiPoke
Cowpoke

It's too early to tell yet. Obviously, we haven't done ourselves any favors with our records over the last decade. There were a couple of bright spots in there but, mainly pathetic. This stuff going on now is miniscule (IMO) to what will happen over the next two years with B1G, SEC, ACC, PAC, and Big XII.

We just have to win. It is the cure for all our ills (always has been).

Beat TCU, beat Boise, beat Air Force....some folks in high places will be scratching their heads and wondering what kind of wooden nickels they just bought.

I like where the Pokes are headed, I'm excited about our team again (wasn't last year, sorry), and I want them to be mentioned in the conference championship talk again (consistently). I think that is what we all want and there is precious little we can do about the conference shiite until we put some solid records behind us.

Go Pokes! Beat the hell out of the frogs!
Brew_Poke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 27 times

I lay this squarely at the feet of the Board of Trustees. They're the ones who f-word up the hiring of the President by insisting they include Buchanan, they're 'Wyoming guy', precipitating the withdrawal from consideration the candidates drawn from a national pool and vetted by the consulting firm they hired. So, we got our 'Wyoming guy' as President, who hired his 'Wyoming guy' as Athletics Director. Now, we have the typical bang-you-head-against-a-wall 'good enough' Wyoming attitude in charge. For the life of me, I can't see why the conservative leaders of Wyoming don't want to compete with the Oklahomas, Nebraskas, Texases, etc., from the governors on down on the gridiron, and fund the program accordingly. No reason at all our AD is in the papers saying poop like "there's no way I'm paying a million dollars for a coach. That's not happening in Wyoming." There's genuinely no desire to be the best.
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

Agreed, winning will cure everything conference wise.

Also, I can't stand that jealousy from state legislators would keep them from doing what is best for the state of wyoming. High priced coaches usually bring wins, which brings money to wyoming through various means.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
AfiPoke
Cowpoke

Fullback41 wrote:Agreed, winning will cure everything conference wise.

Also, I can't stand that jealousy from state legislators would keep them from doing what is best for the state of wyoming. High priced coaches usually bring wins, which brings money to wyoming through various means.
I nominate LawPoke for setting up some kind of petition/letter writing campaign. The man is eloquent, connected, and pretty damn smart.

It's not like we don't have the funds available.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Fullback41 wrote:wins, which brings money to wyoming through various means.
Eh...ya. For starters, winning increases enrollment, and enrollment increases, increase everything.

My Utah example above is 100% fact.
Dear Karma,

MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Hi Peaches! Missed you!
ImageImageImageImage
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

http://chronicle.com/article/22-Elite-C ... ts/127921/

Only 22 NCAA institutions made money last year, and 14 the year before. That's total. FBS, FCS, all of them. College athletics is NOT the money maker like we all envision it to be. Unless you are the elite of the elite, you actually lose money with athletics.

That's not to say bad things wouldn't happen if UW were to hypothetically dump everything.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Brew_Poke wrote:I lay this squarely at the feet of the Board of Trustees. They're the ones who f-word up the hiring of the President by insisting they include Buchanan, they're 'Wyoming guy', precipitating the withdrawal from consideration the candidates drawn from a national pool and vetted by the consulting firm they hired. So, we got our 'Wyoming guy' as President, who hired his 'Wyoming guy' as Athletics Director. Now, we have the typical bang-you-head-against-a-wall 'good enough' Wyoming attitude in charge. For the life of me, I can't see why the conservative leaders of Wyoming don't want to compete with the Oklahomas, Nebraskas, Texases, etc., from the governors on down on the gridiron, and fund the program accordingly. No reason at all our AD is in the papers saying poop like "there's no way I'm paying a million dollars for a coach. That's not happening in Wyoming." There's genuinely no desire to be the best.
This.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time

If only we could find a younger version of Paul Roach to either become AD, or Governor or something, to help fund the athletic department even more.
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

fromolwyoming wrote:If only we could find a younger version of Paul Roach to either become AD, or Governor or something, to help fund the athletic department even more.
i nominate peach
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'