TCU at Wyoming Question

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Pokemus Prime
Buckaroo

Our running game is much improved this year. I'm not sure TCU has as much of an edge there as in years past.
"You make me pull, I'll put you down." Raylan Givens
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Pokemus Prime wrote:Our running game is much improved this year. I'm not sure TCU has as much of an edge there as in years past.
In the past, when I watched TCU's front seven play it took only a few minutes for me to be completely terrified of playing them. They were as good as anyone. This TCU defense doesn't even come close. Their secondary is worse than its ever been under the modern era with Patterson.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

J-Rod wrote:
Pokemus Prime wrote:Our running game is much improved this year. I'm not sure TCU has as much of an edge there as in years past.
In the past, when I watched TCU's front seven play it took only a few minutes for me to be completely terrified of playing them. They were as good as anyone. This TCU defense doesn't even come close. Their secondary is worse than its ever been under the modern era with Patterson.
And our receivers are WAY faster and shiftier than they have been in a long time.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Hanging on to the ball in this game will be the key to who wins the game.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Wyoirish
Ranch Hand

Adv8RU12 wrote:1) SDSU figured out how to stop Pokes in second half. Pokes got minus one yard 4th quarter.
2) TCU allows only 11 pts per conf. game. So defensive coaching is top notch - better than SDSU.
3) Conclusion: Game mainly TCU defensive coaching vs. Poke offensive coaching. Advantage TCU.
4) Wild card: Weather. Bad weather will FAVOR TCU because a) the warm-weather boys will realize that this
is a problem and get the adrenaline flowing. b) the Poke passing game will be hampered, c) the TCU
running game not so much.
Jesus. Maybe we should cancel?
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Wyoirish wrote:Jesus. Maybe we should cancel?
Maybe a good idea. Then the forfeit loss would only be 2-0.
Pokemus Prime
Buckaroo

J-Rod wrote:
I agree, I think we can move the ball on them just like we did in the first half of SDSU. However, if weather forces this into a grinding ground game, while I think we can run the ball on them, I don't know if our D-line can withstand that for four quarters unless the offense can sustain some drives and give them rest.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Just throwing this out there, our last "snow" game, the incredibly cold New Mexico game in 2009, both teams combined to THROW for nearly 500 yards.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

High of 26, low of 15....70% chance of snow. Gonna be fun to watch.....at home of course!!! Dress warm folks.....look forward to seeing thousands of brown and gold Panda's!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

J-Rod wrote:High of 26, low of 15....70% chance of snow. Gonna be fun to watch.....at home of course!!! Dress warm folks.....look forward to seeing thousands of brown and gold Panda's!
Psshaw! If Laramie is anything like Missoula, people will come bundled up in their hunters orange and camo/Carhartt overalls. :)
ImageImageImageImage
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

BackHarlowRoad wrote:Just throwing this out there, our last "snow" game, the incredibly cold New Mexico game in 2009, both teams combined to THROW for nearly 500 yards.
I agree, DB's can't react to WR's moves. I think big day throwing unless the wind is blowing super bad.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Pokemus Prime
Buckaroo

I think the cold weather coupled with the altitude will affect the horny toads. They're used to breathing that thick warm sea level air. You come up to 7220 feet with below freezing temperatures plus some wind chill might make them boys from Forth Worth mighty uncomfortable.
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

I'm not sure how much of an advantage it is for it to be cold. A lot of Wyoming's players come from warm weather states. How many of them really have played in these kind of conditions, especially now with the IPF? Sure they live in them but playing in them is different. 2 years ago against New Mexico maybe? When has Brett Smith played in these conditions? Never?

I hope it is an advantage because we need every bit we can get against TCU, but I'm not sure it helps much. Both teams will be affected IMO. I remember SDSU coming in here in a mighty winter storm and pounding us like it was a day at the beach, granted that was the Koening days.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

calpoke25 wrote:I'm not sure how much of an advantage it is for it to be cold. A lot of Wyoming's players come from warm weather states. How many of them really have played in these kind of conditions, especially now with the IPF? Sure they live in them but playing in them is different. 2 years ago against New Mexico maybe? When has Brett Smith played in these conditions? Never?

I hope it is an advantage because we need every bit we can get against TCU, but I'm not sure it helps much. Both teams will be affected IMO. I remember SDSU coming in here in a mighty winter storm and pounding us like it was a day at the beach, granted that was the Koening days.
You're right, Brett Smith has probably never played in weather like this, but I would hope DC isn't dumb enough to hold practice in the IPF knowing full well what the forecast is for Saturday. A full week of practice in less than stellar weather is better than a full week of practice in the 70s, no wind, no moisture right up until gameday.

I don't buy into the fact that this weather will ruin players because of a slick field or a slick ball or anything like that, but if a TCU player comes to the sideline and complains about how damn cold it is in Laramie to his teammates, well that's a few moments he's not focused on the game and that is an advantage for the home team.
whyoh
WyoNation Addict

what advantage do we have? we have a week's worth of practice in the snow! last time i checked TCU won't even have that as an option.....i could see CDC at least having some endurance training outside this week
disclaimer: I could be wrong. I've done it before...I'll probably do it again.

a high fallootin'...rootin' tootin' sonofa gun from 'ol WYOMIN'
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I watched the weekly Dave Christensen interview on The MTN last night, and he said the team would practice outside this week. The main thing for this game is holding on to the ball - both physically and by keeping the offense on the field.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
WyoBrandX
A Real Cowboy

When you read through most of the articles, Christensen rarely lets the team practice indoors, especially when a home game is coming up. They do use it in hazardous conditions (eg lighting, -30 degrees, etc).

I've heard rumor they heat the place up when we go to the warmer climates, but I've never read anything to confirm it.

I'm not so worried about the cold. The cold only affects players who aren't playing. Once you hit that field, the cold weather makes it nice as you don't get so damned hot. TCU will like it.

A slick field like 2009 UNM is a bit hazardous and causes people to slip up. I hope they get the field cleared well ahead of the game as that was just ridiculous. This isn't much of an advantage to Wyoming as we don't play on an ice skating ring very often.

If it is windy, its better its an east-west or west-east wind. North / South just sucks and kills kicking games. Throwing gets a bit tougher. With east-west, you can make some adjustments. Not much advantage here other than we probably have practiced in the wind regularly.

Snow is probably more mental than anything. Some of the TCU players (and Wyo players) haven't played in it before and will find it exciting, others may find it annoying/strange.

It is a slight advantage to us as it reminds the visitor of being "Cowboy Tough." I don't think it makes a big enough difference to win or lose a game though.

Just my opinion only and only worth about $0.02.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

Wasn't it after the lightning game where we went to halftime a few minutes early and had a huge delay. It seems like we had the momentum but NM hit a little pass play that turned into a touch down because of the field? Was it turf back then or was it Jonah field? Can't remember how many years ago it was.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

All I know is that I am fricken excited to sit in the snow with my family and friends watching the pokes this weekend. It will be so much more enjoyable after the sdsu win, there is a bit of pressure off the team now, as we will likkely be favored in a ccouple games and only need 2 to be bowl eligible. BUT, how awesome would it be to win a couple extra! Cold and snowy is the best way to play tcu for the last time, win or lose. Those are some of my most memorable games. As a kid the first game I went to was like that, the come from behind win vs csu around 95 with Marcus Harris was like that. I can't wait! A win would cement it in my memory for ever like the others. Go Pokes.
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

How many can we expect for this game? 20K? 25K?