Next Year

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Fullback41
A Real Cowboy

So are we encouraged or discouraged that most of this years team will be back next year? Me, I try not to blame the players, but wonder how much better than can get, they were supposed to be much better this year. What do you all think?
In heaven there is no beer, thats why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, our friends will be drinking all the beer!
SpringsPoke
Buckaroo

For me it is tough to say. Are the turnovers caused by the players or coaching? We will benefit from a better receiving corp. That has really hurt us this year. For the most part, considering field position the defense has held up as well as could be expected.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I just got home late this afternoon, and I am more confused about this team than I was. I really thought we had the talent on this team this year. Can the coaching really be this bad?
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 324 times
Been liked: 127 times

TKoehn wrote:So are we encouraged or discouraged that most of this years team will be back next year? Me, I try not to blame the players, but wonder how much better than can get, they were supposed to be much better this year. What do you all think?
I think the scenario of a coach that has some offense ingenuity & competent staff behind him, with the group of kids returning, will win more next year, than UW in the past two. 8 to be exact. Ala Urban Meyer.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
GreybullPoke
Buckaroo

I think coaching has a ton to do with it. None of these kids were slackers on their HS teams, and most were being looked at by other D-1 colleges. I dont think we have great talent, but we should have sufficient to win some games. Coaching is pathetic. Our game plans suck. We are just too predictable.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 14 times

Does anyone believe that we have less talent than Air Force? It all comes down to discipline and fundamentals. I believe that we have some decent talent on this team, enough to compete for conference championships. We get the right coaching staff in here to turn this around and we shock the world next year.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

PokeTransplant wrote:Does anyone believe that we have less talent than Air Force? It all comes down to discipline and fundamentals. I believe that we have some decent talent on this team, enough to compete for conference championships. We get the right coaching staff in here to turn this around and we shock the world next year.

You are right on the money. I have seen a bunch of basket cased individuals, with solid coaching / practice / guidance / motivation, move mountains & win championships. Many, many times.
Dear Karma,

Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 50 times

Speaking of next year....here's our 2009 schedule with MWC game dates TBA later.

Weber State Wildcats (Sept. 5)
Texas Longhorns (Sept. 12)
@ Colorado Buffaloes (Sept. 19)
@ Bowling Green Falcons (Oct. 3)
BYU Cougars
New Mexico Lobos
TCU Horned Frogs
UNLV Rebels
@ Air Force Falcons
@ Utah Utes
@ San Diego State Aztecs
@ Colorado State Rams
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Wyokie wrote:Speaking of next year....here's our 2009 schedule with MWC game dates TBA later.

Weber State Wildcats (Sept. 5)
Texas Longhorns (Sept. 12)
@ Colorado Buffaloes (Sept. 19)
@ Bowling Green Falcons (Oct. 3)
BYU Cougars
New Mexico Lobos
TCU Horned Frogs
UNLV Rebels
@ Air Force Falcons
@ Utah Utes
@ San Diego State Aztecs
@ Colorado State Rams

With the exception of Weber State (WHO?)...OUCH! We better have a HC & Staff in place that believes every game is winnable...instead of ones that like to tell stories about how tough things are and how tough the opponents are!
Dear Karma,

Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

Our schedule next year is hands-down the toughest UW ever had.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Snowman_55
Ranch Hand

Personally I think that is a great schedule! It is the type of schedule we should play every year. IMO - We should have the philosophy of any opponent, anywhere, anytime; and then go out on the field and back it up by proving we belong on the field and can play with and beat anyone given the right circumstances. Clearly we currently need to get the backing it up on the field part fixed ASAP, but that's the direction I think Burman should head, and no that doesn't mean I think we should be willing to play on the road against BCS teams without them returning the favor. Just means I would like to see us play a couple non-conference games against BCS opponents every year. Scheduling 1 FCS (D1-AA) team to open up the season is fine, add 1 MAC, WAC, C-USA, etc opponent, and then 2 BCS teams a year before getting into conference play would be an ideal schedule.
Everyday I wake up and realize it's a great day because I am not a BYU or CSU fan! GO POKES!!!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Snowman_55 wrote:Personally I think that is a great schedule! It is the type of schedule we should play every year. IMO - We should have the philosophy of any opponent, anywhere, anytime; and then go out on the field and back it up by proving we belong on the field and can play with and beat anyone given the right circumstances. Clearly we currently need to get the backing it up on the field part fixed ASAP, but that's the direction I think Burman should head, and no that doesn't mean I think we should be willing to play on the road against BCS teams without them returning the favor. Just means I would like to see us play a couple non-conference games against BCS opponents every year. Scheduling 1 FCS (D1-AA) team to open up the season is fine, add 1 MAC, WAC, C-USA, etc opponent, and then 2 BCS teams a year before getting into conference play would be an ideal schedule.
I love Pat Hill's philosophy. Always have. He instills a toughness I have not seen at Wyo for YEARS!
Dear Karma,

Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

McPeachy wrote:
Snowman_55 wrote:Personally I think that is a great schedule! It is the type of schedule we should play every year. IMO - We should have the philosophy of any opponent, anywhere, anytime; and then go out on the field and back it up by proving we belong on the field and can play with and beat anyone given the right circumstances. Clearly we currently need to get the backing it up on the field part fixed ASAP, but that's the direction I think Burman should head, and no that doesn't mean I think we should be willing to play on the road against BCS teams without them returning the favor. Just means I would like to see us play a couple non-conference games against BCS opponents every year. Scheduling 1 FCS (D1-AA) team to open up the season is fine, add 1 MAC, WAC, C-USA, etc opponent, and then 2 BCS teams a year before getting into conference play would be an ideal schedule.
I love Pat Hill's philosophy. Always have. He instills a toughness I have not seen at Wyo for YEARS!
Yeah but his teams' keep shooting themselves in the foot at least once a year against opponents that they should've beaten.
Snowman_55
Ranch Hand

Wyokie wrote:Yeah but his teams' keep shooting themselves in the foot at least once a year against opponents that they should've beaten.
True but right now we are doing the same thing, only we do it repeatedly and regardless of the opponent. At this point it would be comical, if it wasn't so embarrassing, the number of ways we find to go out of our way to help the other team kick our ass.
Everyday I wake up and realize it's a great day because I am not a BYU or CSU fan! GO POKES!!!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

Snowman_55 wrote:
Wyokie wrote:Yeah but his teams' keep shooting themselves in the foot at least once a year against opponents that they should've beaten.
True but right now we are doing the same thing, only we do it repeatedly and regardless of the opponent. At this point it would be comical, if it wasn't so embarrassing, the number of ways we find to go out of our way to help the other team kick our ass.
Good point. I just want Wyoming to achieve what Hawaii did last year without getting totally embarrassed in the bowl game. That Sugar Bowl brought back painful memories of the 1988 Holiday Bowl and 1993 Copper Bowl disasters.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Snowman_55 wrote:
HA! Well, expect to see one of our skill players go the wrong way this week, prancing proudly into the wrong endzone, for a Utardian safety. I haven't seen that for a while.

Funny story...anyone remember Don Clayton? Great guy, solid leader, but threw the ugliest pass in all of UW football history, yes, including Marc Cousins and Scott Runyan. There was a play when one of our WR's caught one of his wobblers about 40 yards down field...took off running...and while swinging his arms back & forth, coughed up the ball (behind himself), right into the opponent DB's hands! No contact, nothing, almost looked like he was lateralling it.
Dear Karma,

WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I've seen a few posts that basically said what coach would want to come to UW. I'm not bashing those people for stating their opinions, but I totally disagree. I think after looking at the game films of the team this year, a prospective coach would absolutely jump at the chance to come here and turn this program around.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

WYCowboy wrote:I've seen a few posts that basically said what coach would want to come to UW. I'm not bashing those people for stating their opinions, but I totally disagree. I think after looking at the game films of the team this year, a prospective coach would absolutely jump at the chance to come here and turn this program around.
In all reality...the sky is the limit. The state has billions of dollars in the rainy day fund! And what a better way to market & invest in WYOMING than through WYOMING FOOTBALL! Hell, if you already don't know it, NCAA football SELLS! More people watch NCAA football than ANYTHING.

We need to pay 1.5 - 2.0 million for a football staff (base pay) with other incentives. And then, we can sit and watch, as the $$ comes rolling in from the investment. It is a vicious circle, but it needs to start somewhere...
Dear Karma,