Did Cole adapt his system to the team?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Wicks
Blog Team
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

First of all I must say it is great to find another Wyo board after the meltdown on Rivals they are a bunch of tools!

If I remember correctly didn't Cole state in Spring ball or Fall camp that he adpated his playbook to fit what we did last year so it would be easier on the players? If this is ther case, no wonder we can't move the ball. If Glenn and Cole were smart coaches they would have axed everything from last year and started fresh. I think this is the root of our problem. The bottom line is if we don't put up pts Glenn is going to be on his way out and I'm more than all right with that.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 324 times
Been liked: 127 times

I have been pondering this for quite some time. Let's say, the Pokes finish 8 & 4...six wins and two losses in the final 8 games. Does that absolutely give Joe & Staff a contract extension? Let's face it, we are not competing for the MWC crown...and haven't for more than 9 years. We are competing to be one of something like 68 (out of 119) D1 teams to make a bowl game. Whoo Hooo. If the NCAA had 34 (or whatever) bowl games in the 90's, realistically, we would have been in a bowl game 9 out of 10 years...

Week 1: Beat an 0 & 4 Ohio team by 1
Week 2: Got whacked by the AFA by 20 (never scored a TD)
Week 3: Beat a D2 NDSU team by 3 with 5 seconds left in the game (scored 16)
Week 4: Got humilated & pissed our pants.

Granted, it is 2 & 2, but it isn't good. Can it change? I will believe so, until shown otherwise I guess.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
SnipeyPoke
Buckaroo

Wicks wrote:First of all I must say it is great to find another Wyo board after the meltdown on Rivals they are a bunch of tools!

If I remember correctly didn't Cole state in Spring ball or Fall camp that he adpated his playbook to fit what we did last year so it would be easier on the players? If this is ther case, no wonder we can't move the ball. If Glenn and Cole were smart coaches they would have axed everything from last year and started fresh. I think this is the root of our problem. The bottom line is if we don't put up pts Glenn is going to be on his way out and I'm more than all right with that.
Personally I think he is still adapting and seeing how the team works ( or more like doesn't work ) together during games. Every game has some of the same plays but there are different ones being called. It could be simply adjustments to the defense but there is different play calling each game. Who knows but this is suppoesed be a close game lets see how they do. If it wasn't for turnovers I think Wyoming would look near as bad or have confidence issues. Doubt needs to be taken out of the equation so these guys aren't over loaded and might be able to run, catch and throw the ball with extra junk to think about. Maybe accountability will help...
Go Pokes!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 38 times

When Cole was at Montana he ran a very good offense. He was only at UM for a year and they were a playoff team that year. I read where he was supposed to bring a spread offense to the team, but we've seen very little of that so far.. I'd like see more.
ImageImageImageImage
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

What people don't realize is that the spread is a very complicated offense to run. Precise timing and "feel" is essential. Our offense just doesn't have good timing and Crum or Sween don't have that spread mentality. The spread and the flexbone are the two most complex offense's and they require multiple reads every play. We can't get through more than one read before we are sacked. I notice Dax starring down his first read waaay too much. Our QB should be under center EVERY PLAY. We need more motion off balance formations and try and find some mismatches with SIMPLE plays. Then build on it from there. KISS=Keep It Simple Stupid.
I'm good for 3!
wyoforlife
Buckaroo

Sween ran the spread in high school.
"They're a bunch of jealous little dicks who use the anonymity of the internet to insult people who're doing what they wish they were doing." ~ Holden McNeil
pokerupfront
Ranch Hand

You craft your schemes to fit the ability of the players you have, especially in the first few seasons in a program and until players to fit the schemes are recruited.

I would imagine, if given enough seasons, you will see the real Cole offense take shape. Until then, he's just doing what he can, with what he has.
SnipeyPoke
Buckaroo

pokerupfront wrote:You craft your schemes to fit the ability of the players you have, especially in the first few seasons in a program and until players to fit the schemes are recruited.

I would imagine, if given enough seasons, you will see the real Cole offense take shape. Until then, he's just doing what he can, with what he has.
Yep...
Go Pokes!