Does Burman have all of his ducks in a row?

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Poke Around
Ranch Hand

kansasCowboy wrote:Here are some coaches to look at:
1. Gregg Marshall @Wichita St.- Has almost 250 wins between WSU and Winthrop.
2. Gary Waters @ Cleveland St.- 88-63 in 5 years(including 15-1 this year) He's gradually made this program better.
3. Brad Stevens@ Butler- I'm pretty sure that We can spend just as much if not more than Butler is for him. Better nab him now, before the bigger schools do.
4. Mike Lonergran @Vermont- 114-62 6 years. Great Offensive coach.
5. Ben Jacobson@ N. Iowa- 99-49,
6. Joe Scott @Denver- Great Offense and amazing defense. His record show's losing at 142-165, But he has turned every program around from the bottom up that he's coached at.
Waters, at his age and his background, is not coming to Wyojming.
You better check the contracts of Stevens and Jacobson. Think you would be surprised. They aren't going anywhere.
Scott was run out of Princeton in a revolt by players and fans.
Marshall is in the MVC and coaches are rarely going to leave a MVC school to come to MWC. If he has a program going well why make a lateral move. Besides basketball is THE sport at Wichita State, which doesn't have a football program, so it gets prime treatment. If he leaves he's going to a hoops team in a BCS conference level team.
That leaves Lonegran.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

kansasCowboy wrote:Here are some coaches to look at:
1. Gregg Marshall @Wichita St.- Has almost 250 wins between WSU and Winthrop.
2. Gary Waters @ Cleveland St.- 88-63 in 5 years(including 15-1 this year) He's gradually made this program better.
3. Brad Stevens@ Butler- I'm pretty sure that We can spend just as much if not more than Butler is for him. Better nab him now, before the bigger schools do.
4. Mike Lonergran @Vermont- 114-62 6 years. Great Offensive coach.
5. Ben Jacobson@ N. Iowa- 99-49,
6. Joe Scott @Denver- Great Offense and amazing defense. His record show's losing at 142-165, But he has turned every program around from the bottom up that he's coached at.

None of these coaches (save perhaps Lonergan, but that would be an odd fit) are coming to UW. Stevens, Jacobsen, and Marshall all make far more money than they would at UW and they have better jobs. Waters is a quality coach and if he was younger would make more sense, but he isn't moving out to Laramie to rebuild UW at this time. Joe Scott can go pound sand, I hate that prick.

I don't think people really understand just how far this program has fallen and where we sit in the college hoops pecking order (the second part hasn't really changed that much). Suggesting that we would have a shot at a coach from Wichita St. or Butler would get you laughed out of any serious discussion on college hoops (Marshall makes a base of 800k with total comp pushing $1MM and coaches in front of a sold out, totally remodeled Koch Arena every night).

We will need to go after an up and coming assistant or a head coach from a low major league (Big Sky, Southland, etc.). There is nothing wrong with that. That has always been who we have targeted. The only basketball hire in modern times that arguably came from a mid-major league was Joby Wrong (MAC). The rest have either been assistants (Shyatt, McClain, Schroyer) or low major head coaches (Brandenburg, although Montana is a mid-major playing in a low major league, Dees, and you could say Schroyer here as well).

The key is finding a quality AD that can identify and hire an up and coming assistant. It's a tough job and I would want no part of it, although I will of course continue to criticize anyone that has the job mercilessly from behind my anonymous handle on a message board. :D
wyo 1
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 4 times

Hire Dave Rice or BCG and lets get the double A rockin and rollin.

GO POKES!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 324 times
Been liked: 127 times

NowherePoke wrote:The key is finding a quality AD that can identify and hire an up and coming assistant. It's a tough job and I would want no part of it, although I will of course continue to criticize anyone that has the job mercilessly from behind my anonymous handle on a message board. :D
:lol:

Well stated!!!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...