Linder leaving

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 142 times
Been liked: 155 times

johnywyo wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:54 pm Most likely a package deal, Grant probably needed some warm bodies and Linder part of the deal. No honor among thieves. I’ve had it with college sports, it can only continue to unravel. This is a clown show.
If they want what Linder has been bringing in, they can have them.
W-Y, Until I Die!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

Can't say as I blame him as NIL is tearing smaller schools apart and the transfer portal kills our type programs for any sort of building a program unfortunately....but I kinda see him as a quitter as well...hard to say whom we'll go after and maybe we'll make the NCAA's every 18-25 years as opposed to 15 or so....I thought he coulda been special for us but at 46 where does the glamor of being a hc in the MWC get you if u are gonna charge rosters every year. Thanks for the one special year, quitter...
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 324 times
Been liked: 138 times

stymeman wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:03 pm Can't say as I blame him as NIL is tearing smaller schools apart and the transfer portal kills our type programs for any sort of building a program unfortunately....but I kinda see him as a quitter as well...hard to say whom we'll go after and maybe we'll make the NCAA's every 18-25 years as opposed to 15 or so....I thought he coulda been special for us but at 46 where does the glamor of being a hc in the MWC get you if u are gonna charge rosters every year. Thanks for the one special year, quitter...
Not to mention the guy must be unbearable to play for…….

Sprinkles made it work at USU.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 132 times

I guess he's not real excited about the 2024-25 team?

Lol, didn't see that coming. Promising start then complete collapse. I wonder if there is a stipulation in his contact allowing him to leave for an assistant job without penalty?

I know, I know, not his fault at all but man bball has struggled during Burman's tenure.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 126 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:00 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:40 pm Holy crap. Not a good look to have a head coach take a demotion. The bball program is in shambles
I see it as “revenge of Linder” and a big middle finger to the fans, players and University. The way he’s acted, like a child, can’t say as I’m surprised.
Agree with this post - f-word the guy. He ran the program into the ground, and pouted about it, instead of "COWBOYING UP" and riding for the brand - UW. He had to of seen the writing on the wall that he, himself, alienated the fanbase and lost the locker room 2 years ago - to never return. Next.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:19 pm If Burman isn't on the phone with Wicks as we speak he should be shown the door.
You really want a failed AD making another coaching decision? I don't. Time to turn over the department.
Dear Karma,

Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 80 times

https://7220sports.com/who-should-repla ... ome-ideas/

7220 already up with some reporting on possible candidates, including some who are reported to be interested in the job. Steve McClain is one. So is... Doug Gottlieb?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 618 times
Been liked: 250 times

Poke in New England wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:42 am https://7220sports.com/who-should-repla ... ome-ideas/

7220 already up with some reporting on possible candidates, including some who are reported to be interested in the job. Steve McClain is one. So is... Doug Gottlieb?
I'd take Gottleib. That would be a splash hire and may breathe life back into the program.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 56 times

Poke in New England wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 7:42 am https://7220sports.com/who-should-repla ... ome-ideas/

I was attending UW and working part-time as a bartender in the Holiday Inn when McClain came back to Laramie with the Colorado Buffaloes the year after he left Laramie. The CU basketball team was staying at the Holiday Inn in Laramie and a group of UW students showed up to the hotel to heckle McClain when the CU team arrived. He seemed genuinely hurt by it. Once he got inside the hotel, I approached him and told him that I appreciated his time at UW and will always remember the year they went and beat Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament. He thanked me and told me he loved his time at UW and wished things had worked out differently. I'm not surprised he is interested in returning. I think he feels like he has unfinished business in Laramie. Can he have success in today's NIL world? I have no idea.
Last edited by TheRealUW on Fri May 10, 2024 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:05 am

I'd take Gottleib. That would be a splash hire and may breathe life back into the program.
That list, sucks. That is the best WYO can do, my how we have fallen. I am extremely concerned...
Dear Karma,

Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 80 times

It would be an extremely big gamble, which is why I don't believe Burman would ever do it. Just doesn't fit his MO.

I wonder if Gottlieb could even find Laramie on a map.
Hotkarl
Buckaroo
Been liked: 5 times

Bring back Mac
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 68 times

Hotkarl wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:48 am Bring back Mac
Never. He's 61 years old. He was job shopping when he should have been recruiting. Other than a run to the championship game in the MW tournament, his last 2 seasons were terrible.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 116 times

McPeachy wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:10 am

That list, sucks. That is the best WYO can do, my how we have fallen. I am extremely concerned...
That is the best we can do with the timing presented. Linder burned the house down on his way out and left us in the lurch. If he would have left right after the season this list would look a lot different.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 87 times

This is bad. Linder was touted as some sort of coaching savant when hired and granted an extension. His leaving and taking a step down leads me to believe he saw the writing on the wall and wanted out. Burman knows that his own job would be in doubt if there was another poor season. With new coaches in key spots Burman buys himself some time as well.
I hope that Burman had someone lined up before agreeing to let Linder go. I am assuming it was without Linder or TT having to pay the buyout.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 50 times

McPeachy wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:10 am

Who would you try to hire?
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 56 times

What about Eric Henderson at South Dakota State?

He has been outstanding there. In his five seasons there, he has won the conference four times and finished 2nd in the lone season they didn't win it. He has guided the team to the NCAA Tournament twice. It looks like he received an extension in 2021 that aims to keep him in Brookings for 2 more seasons - no idea what a buyout looks like or if UW would be able to afford it.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Burman is going to set the record for most hires by any AD in College sports history. Usually the way this works is the AD is tied to who they hire... Burman has figured out the cheat code and is unctouchable. Good for him.
I'm good for 3!
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 324 times
Been liked: 138 times

doreno5 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:53 am This is bad. Linder was touted as some sort of coaching savant when hired and granted an extension. His leaving and taking a step down leads me to believe he saw the writing on the wall and wanted out. Burman knows that his own job would be in doubt if there was another poor season. With new coaches in key spots Burman buys himself some time as well.
I hope that Burman had someone lined up before agreeing to let Linder go. I am assuming it was without Linder or TT having to pay the buyout.
If they don’t hold Linder to his buyout clause Burmans a bigger idiot than I imagined. Linders timing of this couldn’t be worse for the program. No one would convince me he hasn’t thought about this for a while. The timing is a big FU to everyone involved. If situations were reversed and he was fired he wouldn’t let them off the hook. He needs to pay!
Hotkarl
Buckaroo
Been liked: 5 times

[

Never. He's 61 years old. He was job shopping when he should have been recruiting. Other than a run to the championship game in the MW tournament, his last 2 seasons were terrible.
[/quote]

His last two years would be your wet dream right now