Football Transfer Portal

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 115 times

Sounds like we're looking for a punter, and we've had a few guys enter the portal.

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 615 times
Been liked: 248 times

The transfers are at positions coach said we are deficient in
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:26 pm The transfers are at positions coach said we are deficient in
I noticed that too. Makes you wonder if they were told they weren't good enough.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 130 times

WYO1016 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:33 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:26 pm The transfers are at positions coach said we are deficient in
I noticed that too. Makes you wonder if they were told they weren't good enough.
I guess we can't complain about the portal when good players leave :whistle:
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 238 times

Gavin Meyer to hit the transfer portal. I don’t understand that one.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 54 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:35 pm Gavin Meyer to hit the transfer portal. I don’t understand that one.
This is pure speculation, but could be more than just money/football at play with this transfer. Since he has already graduated, maybe he is looking for a specific postgrad program that UW doesn't offer? He is a good football player, but professional football probably isn't in the cards for him. A lot of these guys have to start thinking about the rest of their lives after football.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:35 pm Gavin Meyer to hit the transfer portal. I don’t understand that one.
This one hurts. He was getting all kinds of praise from Sawvel all through spring camp.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 615 times
Been liked: 248 times

damn it. The transfer portal sucks. Makes me lose interest
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 154 times

TheRealUW wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:16 am
This is pure speculation, but could be more than just money/football at play with this transfer. Since he has already graduated, maybe he is looking for a specific postgrad program that UW doesn't offer? He is a good football player, but professional football probably isn't in the cards for him. A lot of these guys have to start thinking about the rest of their lives after football.
Definitely. Picture that you’re graduating and you most likely won’t have an nfl career. You have a chance to earn some NIL coin and possibly get the post graduate degree. Hard to argue with it. In a way, it makes more sense for guys who most likely won’t have nfl career to transfer for nil than nfl guys. I still think if you’re border talent for nfl, it’s better to rack up numbers at a g5 school than p5. Ask neyor. I know he had an injury but even after he came back, he didn’t play. He’s going nfl for sure staying at Wyo imo
W-Y, Until I Die!
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 87 times

laxwyo wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:04 pm
TheRealUW wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:16 am

Definitely. Picture that you’re graduating and you most likely won’t have an nfl career. You have a chance to earn some NIL coin and possibly get the post graduate degree. Hard to argue with it. In a way, it makes more sense for guys who most likely won’t have nfl career to transfer for nil than nfl guys. I still think if you’re border talent for nfl, it’s better to rack up numbers at a g5 school than p5. Ask neyor. I know he had an injury but even after he came back, he didn’t play. He’s going nfl for sure staying at Wyo imo
Neyor is at Nebraska now and is getting lots of pre-season hype again. If he plays well there he will easily be drafted.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

doreno5 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:55 am
laxwyo wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:04 pm

Neyor is at Nebraska now and is getting lots of pre-season hype again. If he plays well there he will easily be drafted.
He transferred to a lesser program to get playing time and exposure? Sounds like he could have done that had he stayed. I think his trajectory at wyo would have easily gotten him drafted.
W-Y, Until I Die!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:25 pm
doreno5 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:55 am
He transferred to a lesser program to get playing time and exposure? Sounds like he could have done that had he stayed. I think his trajectory at wyo would have easily gotten him drafted.
He made big money ($500K plus) at Texas and is making some money at Nebraska. Hard to criticize his decision that we probably all would have made at the time.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:45 am
laxwyo wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:25 pm
He made big money ($500K plus) at Texas and is making some money at Nebraska. Hard to criticize his decision that we probably all would have made at the time.
Do you think he keeps all $500K since he transferred?

Also, college kids are famously known for thinking about long term ramifications over short term gratification. I believe there's a donut experiment with kids that tackles this exact topic. Nebraska didn't have a single player drafted. I think if he's not drafted in the first 3 rounds in 25', then his decision lost him tons of money. He was a top end WR in the portal after his sophomore year. I have no doubts he would have been drafted. I get it, can't predict anything. He's now on a football team who has a worse passing offense than Wyoming. Not even convinced that a 5* recruit is going to change things. Look at CU lol.

Not saying I wouldn't have taken the money but it's not guaranteed. Lots of athletes make short term decisions that suck but benefit them in the long term. Staying an extra year has benefitted lots of players when they could probably declared and make some money. I'm arguing he made a mistake.
W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Major injury. Impossible or rather meaningless debate.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:18 pm Major injury. Impossible or rather meaningless debate.
I have to agree with this. He could have torn his ACL at Wyoming and he would be basically in the same position of having to prove himself.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 5:48 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:45 am
Do you think he keeps all $500K since he transferred?

Also, college kids are famously known for thinking about long term ramifications over short term gratification. I believe there's a donut experiment with kids that tackles this exact topic. Nebraska didn't have a single player drafted. I think if he's not drafted in the first 3 rounds in 25', then his decision lost him tons of money. He was a top end WR in the portal after his sophomore year. I have no doubts he would have been drafted. I get it, can't predict anything. He's now on a football team who has a worse passing offense than Wyoming. Not even convinced that a 5* recruit is going to change things. Look at CU lol.

Not saying I wouldn't have taken the money but it's not guaranteed. Lots of athletes make short term decisions that suck but benefit them in the long term. Staying an extra year has benefitted lots of players when they could probably declared and make some money. I'm arguing he made a mistake.
I believe he keeps every cent he made in NIL at Texas. Most deals I’m aware of are structured on a year to year basis. I believe he probably made a bunch in the first year and significantly less in the 2nd year when he was coming back from the torn ACL.

A mistake would be to forego 100s of thousands to make pennies at Wyoming. The NFL is never guaranteed.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 87 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:50 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 6:18 pm Major injury. Impossible or rather meaningless debate.
I have to agree with this. He could have torn his ACL at Wyoming and he would be basically in the same position of having to prove himself.
Actually worse if he tore it at UW he would not have gotten any NIL money or an offer to transfer to a P5 program. He may have gotten a chance to prove himself at a MW team but that would be the ceiling.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 136 times

I see he hasn’t landed anywhere, along with Chauncey Carter, or Garrett McGriff.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:31 pm
I see he hasn’t landed anywhere, along with Chauncey Carter, or Garrett McGriff.
He will soon
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 317 times
Been liked: 124 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:36 pm
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:31 pm

He will soon
Hearing Michigan State.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...