Any new transfers?

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

Perhaps Fort Lewis has more talent for us to nab? The Catholic College in Lander surely has someone who has played basketball? The Frontier School of the Bible in LaGrange?
cowpokeguy
Buckaroo
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 4 times

How's N Dakota work? (Only 1 year eligible)
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

cowpokeguy wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:24 pm How's N Dakota work? (Only 1 year eligible)
Literally a repeat of last year (just less sought after 1 year players).

Agbim is comparable to Kot just that Agbin had worse stats than Kot at Fort Lewis.

Ihenacho is comparable to Griffin just that Ihenacho had worse stats and played in a lower tier conference.

Who do we get for 1 year to be the Mason Walters replacement?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Ihenacho shot 28 percent from 3 on the year this past year in the Summit League. Who isn’t excited?
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:58 pm Ihenacho shot 28 percent from 3 on the year this past year in the Summit League. Who isn’t excited?
Just what we need. More guys who couldn’t hit sand if they fell off a camel. This program is in a death spiral.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

LawPoke wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:18 am Perhaps Fort Lewis has more talent for us to nab? The Catholic College in Lander surely has someone who has played basketball? The Frontier School of the Bible in LaGrange?
Are you forgetting about that guy at Northeastern Montana State Normal Indian Teachers College? Sure, he played at a Division IV school and only he's only 5'2", but he's very fast.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:36 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:58 pm Ihenacho shot 28 percent from 3 on the year this past year in the Summit League. Who isn’t excited?
Just what we need. More guys who couldn’t hit sand if they fell off a camel. This program is in a death spiral.
While Kot and Griffin had their limitations, Kot (37.3%) and Griffin (39%) could shoot the 3. They kept us semi-competitive in several games and were largely the reason we won the games we did.

Bringing in a senior guard going on his third transfer and who shot 28% behind the arc in the Summit League doesn’t make any sense to me. I sure hope he brings Hunter Maldonado’s (career 28% 3 pt shooter) unique skill set.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Matija Belic, guard UC-Santa Barbara commits. He is a career 25% 3 point shooter. He averaged 3 points a game last year in his limited action.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:58 am

Matija Belic, guard UC-Santa Barbara commits. He is a career 25% 3 point shooter. He averaged 3 points a game last year in his limited action.
Poke fans, we are in deep, deep trouble. We are going to be cannon fodder in the MoWest next year. We are getting the cast offs' cast offs. Linder told us what his formula for players was when he got here - and folks like Mr. Belic don't come close to fitting that mold. Napoleon is desperate. These are warm bodies - nothing more, nothing less.
The death rattle of Wyoming basketball can be heard from San Diego to Albucracky.

Our 2023-2024 roster would boatrace this coming circus...and that is saying a mouthful.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 107 times

It's pretty clear that the posters that were the loudest about disliking Linder's actions in games and press conferences are the ones that are throwing the biggest temper tantrums on his signings. We get it. You don't like him. How about we support the new players instead of whining about their stats on paper?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:49 am It's pretty clear that the posters that were the loudest about disliking Linder's actions in games and press conferences are the ones that are throwing the biggest temper tantrums on his signings. We get it. You don't like him. How about we support the new players instead of whining about their stats on paper?
Do you think anyone here does not support the players
and does not hope for success?

What’s becoming clear is that Linder’s coaching style is running off talent (both players and assistants) that we do have and bringing in players who on paper don’t match up with those we are losing.

Personally - While admittedly I’ll always be a Wyoming homer, I’m not the type to blindly root for the home team and cheer on a coach that makes $1 million+ a year just because he/she coaches the home team. That mentality has created the Colorado Rockies baseball culture.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

WYO1016 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:49 am It's pretty clear that the posters that were the loudest about disliking Linder's actions in games and press conferences are the ones that are throwing the biggest temper tantrums on his signings. We get it. You don't like him. How about we support the new players instead of whining about their stats on paper?
I support any player that dons the brown and gold so long as they play the game with guts and grit, go to class, and are upstanding citizens.

I will criticize any member of the current athletic department staff who gets paid handsomely and runs a once proud program into the ground, pouts like a child, screams at his players nonstop, and demands unconditional support (financial and otherwise) from the fanbase when he doesn't put a product on the court that can truly compete and thus warrant our unquestioning and unwavering support.

I can do both things at the same time. I see criticism of the TYPE of player Jeff is bringing in as being criticism of him and his program. I will cheer for them - but I don't have to pretend that these signees are the next coming of Fennis Dembo and reflective of the type of talent we need to compete for MW championships. Linder can't attract talent and so we are stuck signing kids that have no business playing for any MW team. Sometimes a stat line lies - but I'm guessing none of these kids move the needle in a positive direction. I hope I'm wrong - but I don't think I am. And neither does anyone else...if they are being honest.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LawPoke wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:47 am
I support any player that dons the brown and gold so long as they play the game with guts and grit, go to class, and are upstanding citizens.

I will criticize any member of the current athletic department staff who gets paid handsomely and runs a once proud program into the ground, pouts like a child, screams at his players nonstop, and demands unconditional support (financial and otherwise) from the fanbase when he doesn't put a product on the court that can truly compete and thus warrant our unquestioning and unwavering support.

I can do both things at the same time. I see criticism of the TYPE of player Jeff is bringing in as being criticism of him and his program. I will cheer for them - but I don't have to pretend that these signees are the next coming of Fennis Dembo and reflective of the type of talent we need to compete for MW championships. Linder can't attract talent and so we are stuck signing kids that have no business playing for any MW team. Sometimes a stat line lies - but I'm guessing none of these kids move the needle in a positive direction. I hope I'm wrong - but I don't think I am. And neither does anyone else...if they are being honest.
Well stated.

I’d add the caveat - I am always hopeful for lightning in a bottle and that the guys coming in have some talent that is not readily apparent from their prior stats and that they do whatever it takes to prove the doubters wrong. But history shows that this is generally the exception rather than the rule.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 34 times

I have never seen such an uninspiring group of recruits. Is the strategy to get players who are so bad no one else could possibly want them so we don’t have to deal with them entering the portal?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

SDPokeFan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:41 pm

I have never seen such an uninspiring group of recruits. Is the strategy to get players who are so bad no one else could possibly want them so we don’t have to deal with them entering the portal?
Belic has 2 years of eligibility remaining. The other transfers are seniors and have only 1 year left so they couldn’t enter the portal again.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

SDPokeFan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:41 pm

Does Linder have so much confidence in his high school recruits that he doesn't think he needs as much from the porthole? Absent that being the case, it seems that we don't have the program or money to attract big-time or mid-tier players and this is what we are left with to move forward. 1-2 year guys that are from lower-tier conferences with no other offers or opportunities left.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 66 times

Linder inherited a real dumpster fire. With the exception of Shyatt's first few seasons, this program has been a complete mess for nearly 20 years. We don't have any NIL to draw transfers here. So, we aren't likely to get another Justin Williams walking through the door.
I'm sympathetic to the Linder haters, to some degree. Frankly, I think he did an amazing job this year to get 8 conference wins out of this group. But this notion that some other coach with a bright and sunny disposition is going to recruit the next Brandon Ewing is wishful thinking.
Wyoming is going to have to join the NIL bandwagon real fast. Even if Linder is not the future, no quality coach is going to come here with the limited resources we offer.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

bladerunnr wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:18 pm Linder inherited a real dumpster fire. With the exception of Shyatt's first few seasons, this program has been a complete mess for nearly 20 years. We don't have any NIL to draw transfers here. So, we aren't likely to get another Justin Williams walking through the door.
I'm sympathetic to the Linder haters, to some degree. Frankly, I think he did an amazing job this year to get 8 conference wins out of this group. But this notion that some other coach with a bright and sunny disposition is going to recruit the next Brandon Ewing is wishful thinking.
Wyoming is going to have to join the NIL bandwagon real fast. Even if Linder is not the future, no quality coach is going to come here with the limited resources we offer.
Other coaches turn around dumpster fires in a year or two. Linder has poured gas on his conflagration.

All that aside, say Linder had $500k in NIL money - who wants to play for him? His guys are leaving to go to Radford. I’m not guessing Radford has a huge NIL treasure chest. It appears that his guys are running as fast as they can from the guy.

I contend that you can’t build NIL here without a team and coach that can excite the fan base. Maybe it’s a chicken/egg question, but anecdotally I know the people in my circles aren’t excited to hand cash to a guy that will pay a kid only to have him run away after a year under Napoleon.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

bladerunnr wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:18 pm Linder inherited a real dumpster fire. With the exception of Shyatt's first few seasons, this program has been a complete mess for nearly 20 years. We don't have any NIL to draw transfers here. So, we aren't likely to get another Justin Williams walking through the door.
Good post - my questions...

How many D1 basketball programs have an NIL that is "higher / better" than Wyoming (or exists even at a better level)? 100 of 351? 200 of 351? Secondly, how much NIL money are the other MWC schools paying out annually toward their athletes?

:popcorn:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:48 am
Good post - my questions...

How many D1 basketball programs have an NIL that is "higher / better" than Wyoming (or exists even at a better level)? 100 of 351? 200 of 351? Secondly, how much NIL money are the other MWC schools paying out annually toward their athletes?

:popcorn:
Most of the information out there is purely anecdotal. So it’s hard to say. Boise State appears to be throwing by far the most money toward athletes in the MWC. Wyoming definitely appears in the lower end of the MWC.

That said - I’d go out on a limb that schools like Radford and Drake probably don’t exceed Wyoming in terms of NIL.