24-25 Roster

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Apparently Foster has another year now!?!? Must be an additional medical redshirt.

The recent portal entry could be a numbers game if Foster and Wenzel were to return.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 49 times

WYO1016 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:25 am Interesting snippet from Cody Tucker's article on Theodosiou transferring: https://7220sports.com/wyoming-basketba ... er-portal/
Jonas Sirtautas, a 6-foot-10 forward from Lithuania, spent the season with the team in Laramie but was ruled ineligible. According to Linder, he's as "good of an athlete" as he has ever coached.
I assumed that he didn't see the court last season because he was too green and needed a year to redshirt.
I remember him from watching warm ups before the Texas game in Austin this season. Dude was throwing down windmill dunks with relative ease. I remembering wondering to myself why he wasn't seeing any playing time - he definitely looked like the best athlete we had on our entire team. Athleticism doesn't always mean great basketball player though.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

TheRealUW wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:09 pm
WYO1016 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:25 am Interesting snippet from Cody Tucker's article on Theodosiou transferring: https://7220sports.com/wyoming-basketba ... er-portal/

I assumed that he didn't see the court last season because he was too green and needed a year to redshirt.
I remember him from watching warm ups before the Texas game in Austin this season. Dude was throwing down windmill dunks with relative ease. I remembering wondering to myself why he wasn't seeing any playing time - he definitely looked like the best athlete we had on our entire team. Athleticism doesn't always mean great basketball player though.
This sounds like complete horse crap. The best athlete on the team? And he couldn't see the court over Kojenets - a guy who looks like he has trouble getting food to his mouth. If that's true, then Linder should be fired right now for gross incompetence.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

bladerunnr wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:56 pm
TheRealUW wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:09 pm

This sounds like complete horse crap. The best athlete on the team? And he couldn't see the court over Kojenets - a guy who looks like he has trouble getting food to his mouth. If that's true, then Linder should be fired right now for gross incompetence.
Read the article. Or even the post you are replying to. He wasn't eligible to play.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 66 times

Poke in New England wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:36 am
bladerunnr wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:56 pm

Read the article. Or even the post you are replying to. He wasn't eligible to play.
The post doesn't mention he was ineligible. The article is about Jacob Theodosiou. So I didn't read all the way to the bottom of the article where there was a single line about the great athlete being ineligible. But whatever. Nitpick all you want.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke

Poke in New England wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:36 am
bladerunnr wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:56 pm This sounds like complete horse crap. The best athlete on the team? And he couldn't see the court over Kojenets - a guy who looks like he has trouble getting food to his mouth. If that's true, then Linder should be fired right now for gross incompetence.
Does anyone know when or why he was ruled ineligible? I wouldn't think an ineligible player would be allowed to travel with the team. At the very least, I wouldn't expect them to be able to take the court with the rest of the team for warm-ups. Maybe UW was still waiting on the NCAA ruling when they were in Austin early in the season?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Caden Powell - gone

Seems that 2 seasons is the limit for most players under Linder.
Last edited by OrediggerPoke on Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 34 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:00 pm Apparently Foster has another year now!?!? Must be an additional medical redshirt.

The recent portal entry could be a numbers game if Foster and Wenzel were to return.
If he returns he could go straight from college basketball to Social Security.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

SDPokeFan wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:15 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:00 pm Apparently Foster has another year now!?!? Must be an additional medical redshirt.

If he returns he could go straight from college basketball to Social Security.
I hope he does return. A player to root for in what is setting up to be a worse season next year.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:15 pm Caden Powell - gone

Not sure Powell will ever be much of an impact player on any mid-major (or higher) college basketball program. He has very poor hands and is not very poised with the ball in tight spaces down low. I do think he could be successful at a lower level where he can use his length to his advantage.

Good big men are hard to find, but can be an instant game changer if you can get one. Look no further than the effect Ike had on the program and how his injury/sitting out effected the results. Most of the really good ones are gobbled up quickly by the blue-blood programs. Mid-majors have to take a lot of chances with the hopes they can find a "late bloomer" in there somewhere. Most of them don't work out.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

Reminds me of the opening scene in major league when the construction workers ask “who are the f’ing guys?”
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

Addition by subtraction. Whatever will we do without his 4 points, 5 cheap fouls, 1 rebound and 8 turnovers? Whoever is supposed to develop our bigs is hot garbage.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

TheRealUW wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:43 pm

Not sure Powell will ever be much of an impact player on any mid-major (or higher) college basketball program. He has very poor hands and is not very poised with the ball in tight spaces down low. I do think he could be successful at a lower level where he can use his length to his advantage.

Good big men are hard to find, but can be an instant game changer if you can get one. Look no further than the effect Ike had on the program and how his injury/sitting out effected the results. Most of the really good ones are gobbled up quickly by the blue-blood programs. Mid-majors have to take a lot of chances with the hopes they can find a "late bloomer" in there somewhere. Most of them don't work out.
Gotta agree. He foulded constantly and could barely dribble it two consecutive times and couldn't shoot from greater than 5 ft from the basket.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:43 pm Jeebus guys. We were in the tournament 2 years ago! Last year was an unmitigated disaster, mostly due to the worst rash on injuries that has ever happened in college basketball. This year, for all intents and purposes, wasn't bad, considering that we turned over the entire roster. R-E-L-A-X
If we turn over the roster every year can that be used as an excuse for poor results? Asking for an acquaintance.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:50 pm
WYO1016 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:43 pm Jeebus guys. We were in the tournament 2 years ago! Last year was an unmitigated disaster, mostly due to the worst rash on injuries that has ever happened in college basketball. This year, for all intents and purposes, wasn't bad, considering that we turned over the entire roster. R-E-L-A-X
If we turn over the roster every year can that be used as an excuse for poor results? Asking for an acquaintance.
You're worried about a freshman that didn't play, a sophomore that didn't play well, and a guy that graduated? I hate to see anyone go, but losing these three isn't anywhere near "turning over the roster".
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:53 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:50 pm

You're worried about a freshman that didn't play, a sophomore that didn't play well, and a guy that graduated? I hate to see anyone go, but losing these three isn't anywhere near "turning over the roster".
As of now, there appears to be 2 players returning next year who played this year. I suspect 1 of them leaves in the next few weeks.

Do you not consider that turning over the roster or do you consider that the hallmark of a successful program?

Note - I’d have to do the math but it appears we actually returned more minutes this year than we will return next year.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:55 pm
WYO1016 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:53 pm

As of now, there appears to be 2 players returning next year who played this year. I suspect 1 of them leaves in the next few weeks.

Do you not consider that turning over the roster or do you consider that the hallmark of a successful program?
There are 13 scholarship players. These were 3 of them. That is not even close to turning over the roster. Let's take a look at successful programs and their 2023 transfers, shall we?

San Diego State - Lost 4, gained 2
Arizona - Lost 5, gained 3
North Carolina - Lost 7, gained 5
Connecticut - Lost 4, gained 1
Kansas - Lost 8, gained 4

You can whine all you want about players transferring, but the fact of the matter is that this is how college sports work now. It's not always the coach. It's not always about the team's record. It's not always about playing time. What it is about is 18-23 year olds thinking they're better than they are, wanting more playing time, being homesick, or chasing money.

I know very few people that weren't idiots when they were colleged aged. There also appear to be a growing number of grown folks that let the decisions of 18-23 year olds have far too big of an effect on their personal lives.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:07 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:55 pm

There are 13 scholarship players. These were 3 of them. That is not even close to turning over the roster. Let's take a look at successful programs and their 2023 transfers, shall we?

You can whine all you want about players transferring, but the fact of the matter is that this is how college sports work now. It's not always the coach. It's not always about the team's record. It's not always about playing time. What it is about is 18-23 year olds thinking they're better than they are, wanting more playing time, being homesick, or chasing money.

I know very few people that weren't idiots when they were colleged aged. There also appear to be a growing number of grown folks that let the decisions of 18-23 year olds have far too big of an effect on their personal lives.
The entire starting 5 is leaving. The lion’s share of minutes this year is gone. This isn’t about the decisions of 18-23 year olds at all. This is about the ‘leadership’ who has caused these problems.

But if you believe we should blame the infantry and not the officers, well sorry I can’t agree with you.

And comparing programs who have players leave for big NIL dollars is hardly an applicable comparison here. None of these guys are leaving for big dollars. We’ve had exactly 1 basketball player who has (Ike).
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:13 pm
WYO1016 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:07 pm

The entire starting 5 is leaving. The lion’s share of minutes this year is gone. This isn’t about the decisions of 18-23 year olds at all. This is about the ‘leadership’ who has caused these problems.

But if you believe we should blame the infantry and not the officers, well sorry I can’t agree with you.

And comparing programs who have players leave for big NIL dollars is hardly an applicable comparison here. None of these guys are leaving for big dollars. We’ve had exactly 1 basketball player who has (Ike).
That's as disingenuous as argument as I've ever seen. 4 of the starting 5 graduated. One graduated with 1 year of eligibility left transferred to get closer to home. The non-graduate that transferred has been widly panned on this board as someone who should not have been starting.

You don't like Linder. We get it. Christ this board has turned into a bunch of whiners.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

WYO1016 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:25 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:13 pm

That's as disingenuous as argument as I've ever seen. 4 of the starting 5 graduated. One graduated with 1 year of eligibility left transferred to get closer to home. The non-graduate that transferred has been widly panned on this board as someone who should not have been starting.

You don't like Linder. We get it. Christ this board has turned into a bunch of whiners.
You have to be kidding. That’s a disingenuous argument… that Linder has caused a yearly roster meltdown which requires 1 year bandaids from the likes Fort Lewis College. None of the guys graduating and out of eligibility played more than 1 year for Wyoming!! How is that disingenuous!?!?