Big 12 Championships

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Great performance by Volk winning the championship! Probably gets him a 5/6 seed in the NCAAs.

Joey Novak wrestled Buchanan really close for 3/4. One of the relatively rare D1 wrestlers who never win a state title. Would be so great to see him place at NCAAs ahead of Buchanan.

Overall, Wyoming tied for 7th with Oklahoma. Much better than they were projected based on season results.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 601 times
Been liked: 239 times

Volk wrestled great! I read somewhere that he has been banged up this season and is just now getting to feeling better. If he can carry this momentum he can make some noise in the NCAAs.

Impressive showing for Novak, too. So much potential for him
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

From what I heard for him to hush the Pro Oklahoma State crowd in Tulsa, I need to pull up that video.

Cajones!!!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Volk gets the 5 seed! Faces Harvard in 1st round. In second round could face 12 seed Noto of Lock Haven who should have been more like a 6 seed. 125 is the most open bracket I’ve ever seen in college wrestling. 20 different guys could win it.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:28 am Volk gets the 5 seed! Faces Harvard in 1st round. In second round could face 12 seed Noto of Lock Haven who should have been more like a 6 seed. 125 is the most open bracket I’ve ever seen in college wrestling. 20 different guys could win it.
Some really dumb seeding this year at the NCAAs. Noto is tough and underseeded, and then you've got Vito getting a 6 seed. WTF?? Also Starocci at the 9 seed and then has to face #1 Mekhi Lewis in the quarters. So unfair to Lewis. Laughable
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:07 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:28 am Volk gets the 5 seed! Faces Harvard in 1st round. In second round could face 12 seed Noto of Lock Haven who should have been more like a 6 seed. 125 is the most open bracket I’ve ever seen in college wrestling. 20 different guys could win it.
Some really dumb seeding this year at the NCAAs. Noto is tough and underseeded, and then you've got Vito getting a 6 seed. WTF?? Also Starocci at the 9 seed and then has to face #1 Mekhi Lewis in the quarters. So unfair to Lewis. Laughable
The worst is David Carr with a 4 seed to end up on the same side of the bracket as his only losses to O’toole. Those guys, both former champs, are undoubtedly the best 2 in that weight and it’s a shame that will be a semi-final and not a finals match.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:42 am
LanderPoke wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:07 am

The worst is David Carr with a 4 seed to end up on the same side of the bracket as his only losses to O’toole. Those guys, both former champs, are undoubtedly the best 2 in that weight and it’s a shame that will be a semi-final and not a finals match.
That one too. Such BS