MWC Basketball to go to 20 game conference schedule

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

This is good for us, imo, since we have been struggling to cobble together a out of conference schedule. Two less games to worry about. SDSU fans are being little bitches about it, of course.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

I’m not excited for it. If it meant that we would cut out all of the regular season games against the likes of Adams State, then yes. But I bet it only means 2 less games against teams from other D1 schools.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:39 am I’m not excited for it. If it meant that we would cut out all of the regular season games against the likes of Adams State, then yes. But I bet it only means 2 less games against teams from other D1 schools.
I think that's the aim. Cut out non D-1 opponents and keep the ones we currently have.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 48 times

DU, Northern Colorado, and Montana State should be a staple in our non-conference basketball schedule every single year. Travel is relatively easy with those teams, and I have to believe our fans care more about a game against a regional team they recognize vs. a school they have to google to find out where they are located. Those programs are also stable enough to offer Wyoming a real test and chance to improve before heading into conference play.

Outside of that, if the "big boys" don't want to play us, then I'm fine with us playing a bunch of neutral site games at various tournaments. It would mean not many home non-conference games, but it would at least prepare us for the conference season more than playing D2 or NAIA schools at home would.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

TheRealUW wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:22 pm DU, Northern Colorado, and Montana State should be a staple in our non-conference basketball schedule every single year. Travel is relatively easy with those teams, and I have to believe our fans care more about a game against a regional team they recognize vs. a school they have to google to find out where they are located. Those programs are also stable enough to offer Wyoming a real test and chance to improve before heading into conference play.

Outside of that, if the "big boys" don't want to play us, then I'm fine with us playing a bunch of neutral site games at various tournaments. It would mean not many home non-conference games, but it would at least prepare us for the conference season more than playing D2 or NAIA schools at home would.
No doubt about it, I would also include Colorado, Utard, Weber, Utard Valley, Southern Utard, University of South Dakota, Colorado School of Mines, CSU Pueblo, etc., as possible out of conference games. Build it up regionally. Maybe even discuss bringing back the shitshow in Casper. :thumb:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:45 pm
TheRealUW wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:22 pm DU, Northern Colorado, and Montana State should be a staple in our non-conference basketball schedule every single year. Travel is relatively easy with those teams, and I have to believe our fans care more about a game against a regional team they recognize vs. a school they have to google to find out where they are located. Those programs are also stable enough to offer Wyoming a real test and chance to improve before heading into conference play.

No doubt about it, I would also include Colorado, Utard, Weber, Utard Valley, Southern Utard, University of South Dakota, Colorado School of Mines, CSU Pueblo, etc., as possible out of conference games. Build it up regionally. Maybe even discuss bringing back the shitshow in Casper. :thumb:
As a Mines alum - how does playing Colorado Mines or CSU-Pueblo do anything for us as an OOC game other than presumably add to the win column for a game excluded from NET rankings? I don’t want to see Mines play Wyoming, realistically the game shouldn’t even be competitive. And I’m one of the few who could give 2 poop about Mines at all.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:54 pm
McPeachy wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:45 pm

As a Mines alum - how does playing Colorado Mines or CSU-Pueblo do anything for us as an OOC game other than presumably add to the win column for a game excluded from NET rankings? I don’t want to see Mines play Wyoming, realistically the game shouldn’t even be competitive. And I’m one of the few who could give 2 poop about Mines at all.
I can't believe that you have that short of a memory...??? It does about the same as playing Northern New Mexico, Metro State, South Dakota Mines, etc. Like what we saw this year. Plus, I would like another trip to Golden to hang out if it happens, love that little town. :twocents:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:32 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:54 pm

I can't believe that you have that short of a memory...??? It does about the same as playing Northern New Mexico, Metro State, South Dakota Mines, etc. Like what we saw this year. Plus, I would like another trip to Golden to hang out if it happens, love that little town. :twocents:
My point is that if we are going to a 20 game conference schedule, we should no longer be playing any D2 or NAIA teams.

…and why would Wyoming ever travel to Golden!?!? I’ve actually never heard of a D1 team traveling to play a D2 team on their home floor.

BTW - Golden used to be my favorite town in the world. At one point, I had a streak of 49 consecutive days at ‘Coors Lab.’ Then the wealth moved in and priced every normal person out. It is now the equivalent of Jackson or Aspen.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:03 am
BTW - Golden used to be my favorite town in the world. At one point, I had a streak of 49 consecutive days at ‘Coors Lab.’ Then the wealth moved in and priced every normal person out. It is now the equivalent of Jackson or Aspen.
Cody, my parents' hometown, is going down that same road as Jackson and Aspen.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!