UW Block Grant Budget Amendment

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:03 pm I have mixed emotions. If schools in general would educate students rather than indoctrinate them then I suppose I might have more concern. You could blow up (not literally - figuratively) the whole College and University system, and outside of athletics……..I’m not sure I’d be real bothered.
How is UW indoctrinating students and to what?

You don’t believe college students are capable of forming their own reasoned opinions even if they run across an off their rocker professor?
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:47 pm
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:03 pm I have mixed emotions. If schools in general would educate students rather than indoctrinate them then I suppose I might have more concern. You could blow up (not literally - figuratively) the whole College and University system, and outside of athletics……..I’m not sure I’d be real bothered.

You don’t believe college students are capable of forming their own reasoned opinions even if they run across an off their rocker professor?
There’s plenty of info, and evidence. There is definitely an agenda within higher academia of indoctrination.

https://www.mindingthecampus.org/2017/0 ... n-is-real/

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... ts/253607/
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 14 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:38 pm

There’s plenty of info, and evidence. There is definitely an agenda within higher academia of indoctrination.

Apologies in advance, but opinion pieces are not evidence and far from factual info.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

PokeTransplant wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:40 pm

Apologies in advance, but opinion pieces are not evidence and far from factual info.
I believe it’s real, and it’s happening. We can agree to disagree.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

What evidence?
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:37 pm

What evidence?
As stated, I believe it’s real, and it’s happening. We can agree to disagree. I do get a right to believe what I believe, and my opinion whether you agree or not.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:05 pm

What evidence?
As stated, I believe it’s real, and it’s happening. We can agree to disagree. I do get a right to believe what I believe, and my opinion whether you agree or not.
Those in the system will adamantly disagree with you. Those outside will depend on their political leaning.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 15 times

bullbugle307 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:18 pm You need to turn off the TV, or AM radio, or wherever you’re getting this ridiculous idea that UW is indoctrinating students. Maybe quit listening to our poop politicians that are espousing that nonsense as well. What a stupid take on the situation. As someone that graduated from UW in the past ten years, it’s really irritating to see stupid comments like this posted in a public forum.
I got into this argument with my mother-in-law. I'm very involved in what my local school curriculum is and I don't see anything I would regard as "indoctrination." However, the wackos running for the school board think otherwise, likely from whatever "alternative" media they are consuming.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:34 pm

Those in the system will adamantly disagree with you. Those outside will depend on their political leaning.
Indeed, the bias seems to be of the liberal leaning direction.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

bullbugle307 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:18 pm
You need to turn off the TV, or AM radio, or wherever you’re getting this ridiculous idea that UW is indoctrinating students. Maybe quit listening to our poop politicians that are espousing that nonsense as well. What a stupid take on the situation. As someone that graduated from UW in the past ten years, it’s really irritating to see stupid comments like this posted in a public forum.
Seems to have hit a nerve. Toughen up buttercup, or “the world needs more Cowboys”.

As Tuff Hedeman told Lane Frost, Cowboy up, folks in society have views that oppose yours. The earlier you learn this, the more mature you become.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

What evidence?
Some folks believe in flying spaghetti monsters and wear colanders on their head. They are certainly free to have and espouse such beliefs. It becomes a problem when they force others to wear colanders through legislation.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:09 am

Some folks believe in flying spaghetti monsters and wear colanders on their head. They are certainly free to have and espouse such beliefs. It becomes a problem when they force others to wear colanders through legislation.
Hmmm, remind me where I said anything about spaghetti or kitchen utensils.

This has become beyond absurd. Have a good day to all. I’ll resume my normal posting regarding UW athletics.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:43 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:09 am

Some folks believe that the spaghetti apocalypse is real and it is happening. You may disagree with them but they are entitled to this belief are they not? Should the legislature pass laws to save us from the upcoming spaghetti apocalypse?
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:46 am
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:43 am

Some folks believe that the spaghetti apocalypse is real and it is happening. You may disagree with them but they are entitled to this belief are they not? Should the legislature pass laws to save us from the upcoming spaghetti apocalypse?
If it means that they will be distracted from the truly harmful things they are and are not doing, absolutely.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Either way, if you agree or not, there is a growing sentiment that Universities are only for people of a certain political ideology.
This action and future actions by the legislature won't change that trend. Enrollment for those disenfranchised with the university will likely continue to decline.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 15 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:15 pm Either way, if you agree or not, there is a growing sentiment that Universities are only for people of a certain political ideology.
This action and future actions by the legislature won't change that trend. Enrollment for those disenfranchised with the university will likely continue to decline.
Unfortunately, it will likely be more harm than good to avoid more education. In my chosen career, the number one indication of success is your desire to continue learning.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

sandiegopoke wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:45 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:15 pm Either way, if you agree or not, there is a growing sentiment that Universities are only for people of a certain political ideology.
Unfortunately, it will likely be more harm than good to avoid more education. In my chosen career, the number one indication of success is your desire to continue learning.
UW is already in a tailspin. What is it now, 8300 on-campus students and a 15%-20% decline in total enrollment over the past 10-15 years?

This isn't going to do anything substantial compared with what's already happening.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:59 pm
sandiegopoke wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:45 pm

UW is already in a tailspin. What is it now, 8300 on-campus students and a 15%-20% decline in total enrollment over the past 10-15 years?

This isn't going to do anything substantial compared with what's already happening.
I can’t see how the legislature directly limiting the courses and degrees available for students as helping enrollment. For those students (perhaps unwisely) desiring to study and/or earn a degree in Women’s Studies, clearly Wyoming is no longer a viable option.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:31 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:59 pm

I can’t see how the legislature directly limiting the courses and degrees available for students as helping enrollment. For those students (perhaps unwisely) desiring to study and/or earn a degree in Women’s Studies, clearly Wyoming is no longer a viable option.
How many students is that? 5? 10? Not being a jerk but from a practical standpoint, I doubt lack of women's studies impacts UW that much. Most likely those that are interested in Women's Studies AND UW will just pick another major. I might be wrong but I seriously doubt UW was pulling a lot of students solely for the Women's Studies program.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:52 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:31 pm
How many students is that? 5? 10? Not being a jerk but from a practical standpoint, I doubt lack of women's studies impacts UW that much. Most likely those that are interested in Women's Studies AND UW will just pick another major. I might be wrong but I seriously doubt UW was pulling a lot of students solely for the Women's Studies program.
From the last graduation I went to, I believe that there are a considerable number of minors in the Women’s Studies program. Could be the difference between some students attending or not. Or just the fact of the legislature’s decision might turn them off. I don’t know about you, but I saw a lot of pink hats in my Facebook feed a few years ago. Whether it has a significant impact or not, I see no way it can help enrollment.