NIL what does it take?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

Just read where Florida State is being sanctioned over an assistant coach putting a Georgia O lineman in touch with an NIL organizer. Apparently the offer was for $15,000.00 per month. Is there any where you can see what some of these deals are? I read stuff like the Boise QB transfer getting a half Million but do not see where that fits in the market. Is it a good deal, too high , too low - just what is the going rate for some of these players?
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 302 times
Been liked: 128 times

WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

When Chip Kelly took the OC job at OSU, there were many people wondering why the "step down". Among many of the theories were that Kelly could see the writing on the wall with UCLA moving to the Big Ten. Multiple sources were stating that there are several Big Ten schools with NIL war chests in the 8-figure range while UCLA's wasn't even in the 7-figure realm.

That should give everyone an idea of the chasm between the haves and have nots. If UCLA is being outspent by a factor of 10+, that means the majority of schools even in the power conferences are way behind, let alone the small conferences.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

The haves vs the have nots like always
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:59 pm When Chip Kelly took the OC job at OSU, there were many people wondering why the "step down". Among many of the theories were that Kelly could see the writing on the wall with UCLA moving to the Big Ten. Multiple sources were stating that there are several Big Ten schools with NIL war chests in the 8-figure range while UCLA's wasn't even in the 7-figure realm.

That should give everyone an idea of the chasm between the haves and have nots. If UCLA is being outspent by a factor of 10+, that means the majority of schools even in the power conferences are way behind, let alone the small conferences.
Ole Miss is nearing 10K members in their collective. Do we even have that in Cowboy Joe Club, let alone the NIL collective?
ImageImageImageImage
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

MrTitleist wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:44 am
WestWYOPoke wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:59 pm When Chip Kelly took the OC job at OSU, there were many people wondering why the "step down". Among many of the theories were that Kelly could see the writing on the wall with UCLA moving to the Big Ten. Multiple sources were stating that there are several Big Ten schools with NIL war chests in the 8-figure range while UCLA's wasn't even in the 7-figure realm.

Ole Miss is nearing 10K members in their collective. Do we even have that in Cowboy Joe Club, let alone the NIL collective?
There was a big celebration a few years ago when CJC reached 5000 members. If it wasn’t for the required membership for certain football sections, I doubt there would be more than a few thousand.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 302 times
Been liked: 128 times

ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

When student athletes become employees of the university with unlimited transfers and thousands if not millions in NIL money I will no longer be interested. Entitled little $hits can go to hell.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

ZapPoke wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:56 pm When student athletes become employees of the university with unlimited transfers and thousands if not millions in NIL money I will no longer be interested. Entitled little $hits can go to hell.
If your comment about Entitled little $hits can go to hell. is about the NCAA, conference and university leadership, or broadcast and media entities.... Then I agree wholeheartedly. If you are aiming that at the athletes, you need to reconsider. They didn't create this mess and outside of the powerhouse football\men's basket programs and a small handful of female athletes, the vast majority of college athletes are not benefiting from this.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

307bball wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:22 am
ZapPoke wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:56 pm When student athletes become employees of the university with unlimited transfers and thousands if not millions in NIL money I will no longer be interested. Entitled little $hits can go to hell.
If your comment about Entitled little $hits can go to hell. is about the NCAA, conference and university leadership, or broadcast and media entities.... Then I agree wholeheartedly. If you are aiming that at the athletes, you need to reconsider. They didn't create this mess and outside of the powerhouse football\men's basket programs and a small handful of female athletes, the vast majority of college athletes are not benefiting from this.
Hey 307, although I agree with your post & sentiments, and agree with where anger should be pointed, there is more to it. How does a recruiting coach deal with a "helicopter" parent that tells him "$100,000 and my kid will sign with you". Almost every "higher quality" 3* / 4* / 5* recruit has either greedy parents, or are greedy themselves. I know this for a fact. Right is right, and fair is fair, and this NIL model isn't either.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-pot ... 14055.html

Williams made $10 million in 2 years playing college ball.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

McPeachy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:27 am
307bball wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:22 am

Hey 307, although I agree with your post & sentiments, and agree with where anger should be pointed, there is more to it. How does a recruiting coach deal with a "helicopter" parent that tells him "$100,000 and my kid will sign with you". Almost every "higher quality" 3* / 4* / 5* recruit has either greedy parents, or are greedy themselves. I know this for a fact. Right is right, and fair is fair, and this NIL model isn't either.
"Right is right, and fair is fair, and this NIL model isn't either." ... Truer words were never spoken.

Greed was around before NIL, the parents stuff is tough but it was going on before the NIL stuff came about as well. Jonny Manziel went on Shannon Sharpe's podcast recently...very interesting. Manziel was at A&M for two seasons. Apparently his father approached coach Sumlin and said that if he could get $3 million cash...Jonny would stay for the next two seasons. According to the story, Sumlin scoffed at that and turned them down. The way it was discussed, it was like Sumlin was the dope for not figuring out how to give him the money!!! Can you believe that! To me, that shows that Sumlin at least had some respect for the rules and that makes him the good guy in that situation, but in todays world it would be silly to not find that money somewhere.

Chuck Klosterman, in a podcast with Bill Simmons talked about college sports at length and Klosterman had a thought provoking quote: "So then I started wondering so are we supposed to now rethink the period of college sports when it was illegal to do this and no longer see anything wrong with the teams that were paying players? Klosterman continues, "But regardless, it's like, are we supposed to now look back and sort of think that all the schools that were playing players were actually, like, morally correct? That they were supposed to be doing that? And at the schools who weren't playing players, The schools who were playing at the time above board, Are they actually the illegitimate ones?".

I recommend that podcast (Bill Simmons discussion with Chuck Klosterman) to anybody that wants to hear a good discussion about the state of college sports...the college sports discussion starts around minute 24 and goes for 20 or so minutes.