LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Far exceeding my expectations!
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 48 times

UNLV in Vegas this Saturday will be a great measuring stick. UNLV will probably end up somewhere in the middle of the conference standings when all is said and done. A win at their place would really get me believing.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

We had a cute little run but blasted by UNLV and Lobos is not good
W-Y, Until I Die!
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

laxwyo wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:52 pm We had a cute little run but blasted by UNLV and Lobos is not good
NM got a lot of help from the refs.

But, they couldn’t miss a 3. I don’t what their 3 point shooting % was, had to be pretty high.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:09 pm
laxwyo wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:52 pm We had a cute little run but blasted by UNLV and Lobos is not good

But, they couldn’t miss a 3. I don’t what their 3 point shooting % was, had to be pretty high.
NM shot 37% from 3. This is average. We didn’t play well. The refs didn’t impact the outcome.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

There was nothing wrong with the officiating. They shot only ok from 3. They had wide open looks whenever they wanted. We shot 6-25 from 3.
Without the miracle against csewe, we would be 4-6. Frankly, we will struggle to get 2-3 more conference wins. We have no bench, very inconsistent shooting, and most teams will outrebound us like last night. We can play better than last night, but the talent just isn't there to compete with the big boys on a regular basis.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Walters needs to stop shooting threes
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

bladerunnr wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:26 am

There was nothing wrong with the officiating. They shot only ok from 3. They had wide open looks whenever they wanted. We shot 6-25 from 3.
Without the miracle against csewe, we would be 4-6. Frankly, we will struggle to get 2-3 more conference wins. We have no bench, very inconsistent shooting, and most teams will outrebound us like last night. We can play better than last night, but the talent just isn't there to compete with the big boys on a regular basis.
Teams with highly athletic "bigs" will eat us alive. CSU doesn't have any so they are a good matchup for us. Nevada lacks them too to some degree. USU, SDSU, UNLV and NM have them in spades. We won't come close to those teams
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 15 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:57 am NM shot 37% from 3. This is average. We didn’t play well. The refs didn’t impact the outcome.
I would state anything above 30% is above average. I'll see if I can find the national average in D-1.
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 15 times

sandiegopoke wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:25 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:57 am NM shot 37% from 3. This is average. We didn’t play well. The refs didn’t impact the outcome.
I would state anything above 30% is above average. I'll see if I can find the national average in D-1.
Average was hard to find, but median is 33.6%, so I was wrong. See https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-baske ... -point-pct
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

Here's the thing - the officials need to call games like they do in the NCAA tourney - which is exactly how the game was called last night. MW officials do no favors to league teams by doing otherwise. We have collectively gotten smoked in the tourney - save SDSU's run last year - largely because of our inability to adapt.

Beyond all of that, Ore has it right. Teams have adapted to our style and know how to shut us down. Shot selection and, connected, movement on the offensive end continue to cause of huge issues. We are getting open looks from 3 and we aren't hitting them. Maybe, just maybe, teams know that they can give us the 3 until we hit it, because we don't have much else we can attack with.

And why Powell continues to see ANY minutes is beyond me. Kid took 1 shot, which he missed, had 4 fouls, and 2 rebounds.

Bottom line - we don't have quality depth, we don't play defense, we turn the ball over, we have little ability to move the opponents' defenses on the offensive end, if we are hitting 3s we are dead, and we don't make free throws. I think 2-3 conference wins is a stretch. Unfortunately, I don't see much improvement next year with our incoming lineup. Linder has flubbed so many transfers and recruits and has his classes so lopsided that we are hosed for the long-haul.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

Other than Walter’s getting tackled running down the court - no call, and ghost calls, about 4-5 no call travels on NM, nah, nothing to see here…….
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

Shooting has been a big issue. We’ve been cold.

I know we gave up quick buckets right after we scored. Were we not getting back?
W-Y, Until I Die!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

laxwyo wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:50 pm Shooting has been a big issue. We’ve been cold.

I know we gave up quick buckets right after we scored. Were we not getting back?
And defense. Our defense is awful. Larry Shyatt loses a day off his life watching every uncontested 3 and undefended drive to the bucket that we give up.