Bertagnole is returning!!

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:58 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:51 am

Ok so we are moving the goal posts. He made a financial decision his senior year but made a decision merely out of loyalty his junior year.

Look - Josh Allen is my favorite pro athlete. But come on man, let’s be realistic.
smh. Perhaps Josh felt that only one year as a starting QB wasn't enough to the guy that gave him his chance to be a football player. People have a lot of reasons for staying somewhere. Not every decision in life is guided solely by money. Not everyone wantonly chases $$ like a prostitute every chance they get. geez.
I think the above underlined statement is true but it's subject to the particulars. At a certain level of $$, the incentives change. At the level of cash being currently thrown at college QB's, it's in the realm that the loyalty you have to your coach/program that recruited you is coming into conflict with the loyalty that most young people feel for their future selves and families. This conflict does not manifest if we are talking about amounts below a certain threshold. At lower levels, most would view it like you characterized it in the above statement. We are past that threshold for the top players...probably even for the players just below them as well.

In the specific case of JA...we probably also don't know who he thought he would be drafted by if he had come out a year earlier than he did. If he thought he had a high likelihood of getting into a situation that may not be the best for him...why not roll the dice and stay another year? As long as we are wildly speculating...that is as valid of a reason as anything else.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

307bball wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:14 am
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:58 am smh. Perhaps Josh felt that only one year as a starting QB wasn't enough to the guy that gave him his chance to be a football player. People have a lot of reasons for staying somewhere. Not every decision in life is guided solely by money. Not everyone wantonly chases $$ like a prostitute every chance they get. geez.
I think the above underlined statement is true but it's subject to the particulars. At a certain level of $$, the incentives change. At the level of cash being currently thrown at college QB's, it's in the realm that the loyalty you have to your coach/program that recruited you is coming into conflict with the loyalty that most young people feel for their future selves and families. This conflict does not manifest if we are talking about amounts below a certain threshold. At lower levels, most would view it like you characterized it in the above statement. We are past that threshold for the top players...probably even for the players just below them as well.

In the specific case of JA...we probably also don't know who he thought he would be drafted by if he had come out a year earlier than he did. If he thought he had a high likelihood of getting into a situation that may not be the best for him...why not roll the dice and stay another year? As long as we are wildly speculating...that is as valid of a reason as anything else.
Loyalty is not always logical. All we can go by is what Josh said. And that’s what I’m going by. He stayed out of loyalty even when he stood to make millions by leaving
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:25 am

Loyalty is not always logical. All we can go by is what Josh said. And that’s what I’m going by. He stayed out of loyalty even when he stood to make millions by leaving
You might be right....and even if you aren't .... it doesn't make Josh a liar either. He probably did feel some sense of loyalty to Bohl and the program. It doesn't change the fact that nowadays your options are not simply GO TO NFL, and STAY AT UW. Just having more options changes things.

Delaying millions is not the same as forgoing millions. Nowadays a top player does not have to go the NFL to make a lot of money...you can switch programs and make a ton and still go pro the next year. It's sort of a hedge.

What does it threaten to hear what Brandon Ewing said about what he may have done if he had different options? What does it threaten when people like me imagine that past players like JA may not have made the same decisions if they had different circumstances?
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:25 am

If I recall there were 2 or 3 narratives. 1 was the loyalty card you describe. 2 was "trusting" of Bohl's and Wentz's advice that an additional year would benefit Josh's long-term career and 3 was the uncertainty in draft position. My tin foil hat theory was he was afraid Chicago or Cleveland might pick him :lol:

Likely it was a combination of these (other than my tin foil hat thought).
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

Poke in New England wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:23 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:11 am

This is an apples to oranges comparison. For rookie contracts under the CBA in the NFL, draft slot determines the compensation for the next 4-5 years. Josh Allen would not have been picked in the top 10 had he come out after the 2016 season (likely not even in the top 20). He ended up making significantly more guaranteed money on his rookie contract by staying the extra year. So had he flamed out (which we all know he didn't), he made the wise money decision to stay. \

Had the portal been available at the time, I doubt we keep Josh Allen for 2017 but that is pure speculation.
Revisionist history. Allen was top 5 in many 2017 mock drafts before announcing he was coming back. The day of the 2017 draft is when Adam Schefter reported that a scout believed Allen would be the #1 pick in 2018. His stock was sky high at that time. Put it this way - he had a down year (with a shoulder injury) in 2018 and a team still traded up to pick him in the top ten.
Don’t forget, for whatever reason, the “hit piece” put out on Josh about his supposed racist history.
Last edited by Itsux2beaewe on Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

Poke in New England wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:44 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:29 am

Yes, we all love to believe in a good fairytale.

Let the record reflect that Josh Allen returned to Wyoming in 2017 despite being a sure fire top 5 NFL pick and despite losing all of his offensive weapons (including Roullier, Hill, Gentry, etc..).
I mean, he literally went to bed as a declared NFL prospect and changed his mind in the morning. I thought this stuff would be common knowledge for Wyoming fans. Read the quotes in this story.: https://apnews.com/article/sports-colle ... 1261cc3f89

Surefire top 5? Maybe not. But there is no way he was making it out of the top 1/2 of the first round in that draft. Again, he went #7 after a year throwing 16 touchdowns and hurting his shoulder. My point stands - he turned down tens of millions of dollars to come back to Laramie.
I agree 💯, not to mention playing in the spud bowl game. He’ll always have my respect.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:48 pm
Poke in New England wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:44 am

I mean, he literally went to bed as a declared NFL prospect and changed his mind in the morning. I thought this stuff would be common knowledge for Wyoming fans. Read the quotes in this story.: https://apnews.com/article/sports-colle ... 1261cc3f89

Surefire top 5? Maybe not. But there is no way he was making it out of the top 1/2 of the first round in that draft. Again, he went #7 after a year throwing 16 touchdowns and hurting his shoulder. My point stands - he turned down tens of millions of dollars to come back to Laramie.
I agree 💯, not to mention playing in the spud bowl game. He’ll always have my respect.
And mine...The dude was so fun to cheer for!
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

This whole discussion does not give Allen credit for being smart enough to make decisions based on what he felt was best for him at the time. He had spoken with agents and others like Wentz before choosing to stay at UW for 2017. Whatever factors led to his decision, he did what he felt best for himself at that time. With NIL and the portal, today is a different world entirely. No one , not even Allen knows what his options would have been in today's environment or what choices he would have to make.