Coming to Texas State/Wyoming game

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
SM_Bobcat
Buckaroo

I am planning on coming to the Texas State/Wyoning game. Can anyone give me suggestions on where to stay, good places to eat, good breweries to try out, etc?
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

Greetings,
Hotel-wise, there aren't many within walking distance of the stadium outside of the Hilton, usually is taken over by the team prior to a game though and its more expensive, not my recommendation. I would try to stay in one of the usual chains on Grand, Holiday Inn, Comfort Inn, Hampton Inn, or a couple places on south 3rd St., like the Ramada. Most of the chain hotels are on the "outskirts" of Laramie, although relatively speaking nothing is that far away.

Places to eat; Lovejoys, Altitude, Grand Avenue Pizza, other people in Laramie can help on this.

(Secret Hint: Best breakfast in Town at a little place downtown on 2nd st. called Prairie Rose Cafe.)
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 38 times

There are a few hotels across from the Stadium.. HI Express, Comfort Inn (or something like that). Lovejoys and Altitude are good places to eat. The Library and Altitude both have Wyoming brewed beers, I believe. The Laramie peeps will definitely fill you in on the details.
ImageImageImageImage
Kougar78
Ranch Hand

The new hotels close to the stadium are good, but probably need to book early as they are all walking distance (in nice weather!).
Far as places to eat....I don't think any place is consistent. Ate at (?)Jack's on Grand and 3rd a year ago for supper and was really good. This year for lunch before one game and it was genuinely awful at every level.

Ate at Lovejoys and it was fair, but there are only about 2 or 3 places downtown and after games they are packed with hour wait.

That's if all your doing is going to the game. If you plan on staying and doing some outdoor stuff, then head to Centennial or Albany. Not fancy, but in the mountains and outside Laramie about 40 minutes.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Stay in Cheyenne or Fort Collins (if there is no game there that weekend), since you will have to have a rental car anyway. It's about an hour drive from either of those places.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 324 times
Been liked: 127 times

Adv8RU12 wrote:Stay in Cheyenne or Fort Collins (if there is no game there that weekend), since you will have to have a rental car anyway. It's about an hour drive from either of those places.
Oh sure...great idea.

Whatever you do, don't help UW (ETC) by spending money in Laramie. WTF Adv8RU12.

Even though I am not a Laramieite (huh?) I still do what I can on gamedays to help out.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
SM_Bobcat
Buckaroo

McPeachy wrote:
Adv8RU12 wrote:Stay in Cheyenne or Fort Collins (if there is no game there that weekend), since you will have to have a rental car anyway. It's about an hour drive from either of those places.
Oh sure...great idea.

Whatever you do, don't help UW (ETC) by spending money in Laramie. WTF Adv8RU12.

Even though I am not a Laramieite (huh?) I still do what I can on gamedays to help out.
Don't worry, I am definitely spending atleast 2 nights in Laramie.

I might spend Friday night in Cheyenne, and see things around Cheyenne. And then spend Saturday and Sunday night in Laramie.

Does anyone have any tips on tailgating before the game?
mrtnt3x
A Real Cowboy

Drink beer! haha
Powder River ... Let 'R Buck!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

SM_Bobcat wrote:I might spend Friday night in Cheyenne, and see things around Cheyenne.
That would be a mistake, unless you are into unemployed meth heads & thier buddy politicians.

Laramie, Friday night, before a game, is a blast. Streets blocked off, UW band goes bar-to-bar playing the fight song, RTCJ, & beer song, etc...

As far as tailgate, UW has a good tailgate park set up, south of the stadium...opens 3 or so hours prior to KO.
Dear Karma,

SM_Bobcat
Buckaroo

mrtnt3x wrote:Drink beer! haha
Don't worry, I plan on doing plenty of that. I was talking more about where to go.
SM_Bobcat
Buckaroo

McPeachy wrote:
SM_Bobcat wrote:I might spend Friday night in Cheyenne, and see things around Cheyenne.
That would be a mistake, unless you are into unemployed meth heads & thier buddy politicians.

Laramie, Friday night, before a game, is a blast. Streets blocked off, UW band goes bar-to-bar playing the fight song, RTCJ, & beer song, etc...

As far as tailgate, UW has a good tailgate park set up, south of the stadium...opens 3 or so hours prior to KO.
Thanks, you convinced me.....
TSpoke
A Real Cowboy

I'm always partial to the Library. Its great prior to the game. Best beer in town.Its an easy walk to the stadium. In fact we usually show up to the library early hang out then walk towards the game and stop by the tailgate area for another beer or two.
PokePride.com
Cowpoke

Place to stay could not tell you as I live here and don't stay at the hotels/motels. Good places to eat if you like Mexican go to Corona Village or their Rapido place on Grand. Also the Chuckwagon is not bad for just that comfy food, I think they are as good as the Parairie Rose Cafe.

Grand Avenue Pizza has good pasta but I have had better pizza but I know many who do like it (I am really picky with pizza I like it so much) so I may be the wrong person to talk to on pizza.
sdpoke
Ranch Hand

The library is a must. I go there everytime in laramie.

I have also always enjoyed going to bud's bar. Sure it can be a pain to find if you're not use to laramie but its a fun little dive bar. Had a great time chatting with some really cool guys that were boise fans this last season. Staff was very nice to all as well.

Notable others:
Coppers, 3rd ave, buckhorn, and the cowboy (either one as there is 2)
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

sdpoke wrote:The library is a must. I go there everytime in laramie.

I have also always enjoyed going to bud's bar. Sure it can be a pain to find if you're not use to laramie but its a fun little dive bar. Had a great time chatting with some really cool guys that were boise fans this last season. Staff was very nice to all as well.

Notable others:
Coppers, 3rd ave, buckhorn, and the cowboy (either one as there is 2)

Agree...the Library is a win. That being said, I wouldn't step into Bud's for anything (neither will a ton of people I know that live in Laramie), and I will leave it at that.

Top 3 places to eat (IMO):
El Conquistador (mexican, best green chile)
Luciano's (italian, new chef - great food)
Altitude Chophouse & Brewery (classic american)

Top 3 places to tip a few (IMO):
The Library (microbrewed beer)
Buckhorn (classic must see)
Tommy Jack's (best martini's & mexi-margaritas)

There are plenty of others...
Dear Karma,

mrtnt3x
A Real Cowboy

If you want to shoot a game of pool - Mingles is the place up by the stadium
Another place I like to visit is Mulligans, although I go kicked out last time because I told the bartender how I felt about her poop service
Powder River ... Let 'R Buck!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 38 times

McPeachy wrote:Top 3 places to eat (IMO):
Man I miss El Con. Stuffed sopa's topped w/ green chili was the best food... any time of day.
ImageImageImageImage
PokePride.com
Cowpoke

MrTitleist wrote:
Man I miss El Con. Stuffed sopa's topped w/ green chili was the best food... any time of day.
El Con puts black pepper in their green chili ruins it for me!!!

For Mexican again I will say I prefer Corona Village.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

MrTitleist wrote:

I haven't lived in Laramie for 30 years, but the El Conquistador was one of my favorite Mexican Restaurants when I lived there. I knew the owner and was there the day they opened - not sure if they still own it though. You are right, their sopas were great.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
Poke Around
Ranch Hand

You want strong drinks and the college Friday night atmosphere? Check out 3rd St. Bar. Nobody pours a stronger drink in continental United States.

Even Texans love the Mexican food at Corona Village. Altitude is solid place to eat.

Close to stadium is Hilton, where UW stays, and a Holiday Inn. Prices can be a bit high. There is a Comfort Inn, AmericInn and Hampton Inn nearby but not walking distance. On West side there are a lot of chains, including a two-year-old Fairfield Inn and Suites and Days Inn.

Centennial is less than 30 miles from Laramie. There's a solid hotel there.

And if you'd like a wonderful bed and breakfast the VBar Ranch is great, about 20 miles west, on road to Centennial.

I'd stay in Laramie on Friday night, not Cheyenne.