I feel for Nevada

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

I enjoyed watching Wyoming finally play well on the road - but really felt bad for Nevada. Norvell really screwed them over. He not only left - he took the guts of their team on the way out. I don't know that they recover. I know that Norvell's departure received a lot of attention at the time he left - but this was the first time I saw what he left in his wake in real time. What a jackass.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

Does it make you nervous to move on from Bohl that something like this could happen to us? Sometimes I get that feeling.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:51 am Does it make you nervous to move on from Bohl that something like this could happen to us? Sometimes I get that feeling.
It could easily happen to us. We are far behind even average G5 programs in terms of NIL dollars flowing to student athletes. Accordingly, our best bet is probably to continue to look to overlooked players and develop them.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

I have been a very strong proponent of moving on from Bohl - especially following the debacles against UNLV, Boize, and AFA. The field goal attempt in the 4th quarter against UNLV was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. It typified the Bohl experience. I think that we can be lulled back into thinking he is great when we trounce the likes of Nevada and Hawaii. But to my mind, we shouldn't see those schools as our measuring stick - we should always keep the top tier of the conference as our target. Now, we did beat TTU, App State and Fresno. Those are good wins (TTU at the end of the season was a shell of what it was when we played). Maybe I will rue the day Bohl walks away. But I have to think that we can find another coach to pay $2 million who is also a developmental guy.

Or, maybe Craig finally showed us that he can and will change his style in Reno and against Hawaii and we will see more of that in the future. If so, extend him and let the boys play. The worst that will happen is another .500 season and another Tater Bowl and being further mired in mediocrity. Looking at the turds in Provo and Fart Colons sitting on their couches and longing for a bowl may be a cautionary tale...
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Nevada might've been the worst team I saw play this year... and that includes Idaho State and Butler on that list. Man, just a shell of the Carson Strong years.
ImageImageImageImage
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

MrTitleist wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:28 am Nevada might've been the worst team I saw play this year... and that includes Idaho State and Butler on that list. Man, just a shell of the Carson Strong years.
They were putrid. Worst team I've ever seen us play probably
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

LawPoke wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:17 am I have been a very strong proponent of moving on from Bohl - especially following the debacles against UNLV, Boize, and AFA. The field goal attempt in the 4th quarter against UNLV was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. It typified the Bohl experience. I think that we can be lulled back into thinking he is great when we trounce the likes of Nevada and Hawaii. But to my mind, we shouldn't see those schools as our measuring stick - we should always keep the top tier of the conference as our target. Now, we did beat TTU, App State and Fresno. Those are good wins (TTU at the end of the season was a shell of what it was when we played). Maybe I will rue the day Bohl walks away. But I have to think that we can find another coach to pay $2 million who is also a developmental guy.

Or, maybe Craig finally showed us that he can and will change his style in Reno and against Hawaii and we will see more of that in the future. If so, extend him and let the boys play. The worst that will happen is another .500 season and another Tater Bowl and being further mired in mediocrity. Looking at the turds in Provo and Fart Colons sitting on their couches and longing for a bowl may be a cautionary tale...
I assume most of the posters on this board have competed at some sport in the past or currently. Maybe you make a big change in your golf swing to improve. Whatever. There comes a point when you know where you are isn't going to get better without a big change. That's where we are. We tied for 4th in the league and that seems to be our ceiling with Bohl. 10 years is a hellavu sample size.

Maybe there isn't a coach in the country to take us to the MWC championship. But it's time to find out. Give Bohl one more year, max. And start searching right now.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:09 pm
LawPoke wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:17 am I have been a very strong proponent of moving on from Bohl - especially following the debacles against UNLV, Boize, and AFA. The field goal attempt in the 4th quarter against UNLV was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. It typified the Bohl experience. I think that we can be lulled back into thinking he is great when we trounce the likes of Nevada and Hawaii. But to my mind, we shouldn't see those schools as our measuring stick - we should always keep the top tier of the conference as our target. Now, we did beat TTU, App State and Fresno. Those are good wins (TTU at the end of the season was a shell of what it was when we played). Maybe I will rue the day Bohl walks away. But I have to think that we can find another coach to pay $2 million who is also a developmental guy.

I assume most of the posters on this board have competed at some sport in the past or currently. Maybe you make a big change in your golf swing to improve. Whatever. There comes a point when you know where you are isn't going to get better without a big change. That's where we are. We tied for 4th in the league and that seems to be our ceiling with Bohl. 10 years is a hellavu sample size.

Maybe there isn't a coach in the country to take us to the MWC championship. But it's time to find out. Give Bohl one more year, max. And start searching right now.
Do you really trust the guy leading the search, and signing on the dotted line though?
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
ReecesRiver
Buckaroo
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times

Honestly Norvell did partially screw them but you can't blame him for everything wrong in Reno. Norvell doubled his salary. UNR refuses to invest in an IPF. The UNR rec center has nicer free weights than the athletes weight room. Chris Ault the "hero" of Nevada football did a great job transitioning them from AA to FBS but the University needs to tell him to go. There is no "wolfpack legacy" to hire coaches on.

I live in Reno, went to UW there is way more to do for fun in Reno than in Laramie for a college student. Yet Wyoming out recruits them. As much as I complain about our program I have to reflect how lucky we are that we have students, alumni, and overall the general population that cares. We have an amazing training center, a great IPF, and $100M in stadium upgrades on the way. On the contrary, Nevada plays in a stadium that's worse than Cheyenne East's The entire population of Wyoming is located within 45 min of UNR's stadium and they can't get 2,000 people in the doors unless they're playing UNLV. Overall I'm glad we beat the crap out of them and maybe its a personal reality check for myself and others to count our blessings in Laramie.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

ReecesRiver wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:42 pm Honestly Norvell did partially screw them but you can't blame him for everything wrong in Reno. Norvell doubled his salary. UNR refuses to invest in an IPF. The UNR rec center has nicer free weights than the athletes weight room. Chris Ault the "hero" of Nevada football did a great job transitioning them from AA to FBS but the University needs to tell him to go. There is no "wolfpack legacy" to hire coaches on.

I live in Reno, went to UW there is way more to do for fun in Reno than in Laramie for a college student. Yet Wyoming out recruits them. As much as I complain about our program I have to reflect how lucky we are that we have students, alumni, and overall the general population that cares. We have an amazing training center, a great IPF, and $100M in stadium upgrades on the way. On the contrary, Nevada plays in a stadium that's worse than Cheyenne East's The entire population of Wyoming is located within 45 min of UNR's stadium and they can't get 2,000 people in the doors unless they're playing UNLV. Overall I'm glad we beat the crap out of them and maybe its a personal reality check for myself and others to count our blessings in Laramie.
I have never been to Reno. It's got a terrible reputation nationally, but you make it sounds pretty OK.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

ReecesRiver wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:42 pm Honestly Norvell did partially screw them but you can't blame him for everything wrong in Reno. Norvell doubled his salary. UNR refuses to invest in an IPF. The UNR rec center has nicer free weights than the athletes weight room. Chris Ault the "hero" of Nevada football did a great job transitioning them from AA to FBS but the University needs to tell him to go. There is no "wolfpack legacy" to hire coaches on.

Very good perspective. I've only been to Reno a couple of times - didn't hate it, but didn't love it either. I still think the way that Norvell left and how he decimated them on the way out was sketch.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

The landscape of college athletics is dog eat dog. And NIL hasn’t helped. It’s made it worse. Look at Ohio St trying to lure Arch Manning. I don’t have strong opinions of Norvell one way or another other than he’s at Ft Colon, so for that reason I dislike anything CSewe. But, if I were a head coach, ain’t gonna lie, I’d take all the talent with me I could get if I were moving jobs. It’s ruthless, but he has a job to do.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 146 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:32 pm The landscape of college athletics is dog eat dog. And NIL hasn’t helped. It’s made it worse. Look at Ohio St trying to lure Arch Manning. I don’t have strong opinions of Norvell one way or another other than he’s at Ft Colon, so for that reason I dislike anything CSewe. But, if I were a head coach, ain’t gonna lie, I’d take all the talent with me I could get if I were moving jobs. It’s ruthless, but he has a job to do.
That’s his problem imo, he took all the “talent” from Reno lol
W-Y, Until I Die!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

McPeachy wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:21 pm
bladerunnr wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:09 pm

Do you really trust the guy leading the search, and signing on the dotted line though?
No. But it appears Tom Burman isn't going anywhere. Hopefully, we get the Burman who hired Shyatt and Linder and not the Burman who hired Schroyer and then extended him.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:24 pm
McPeachy wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:21 pm

Hopefully, we get the Burman who hired Shyatt and Linder and not the Burman who hired Schroyer and then extended him.
And Dickface. And Edwards. And Edwards' Extension. And, and, and. Wyoming has the least amount of "all-time" MWC championships, of ALL MWC teams. By a long ways.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...