Bowl Game

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

We are officially on to the bowl game. Although unlikely, I hope we can get a non-MWC bowl in a Texas or Florida location.

My money is on the Hawaii Bowl for Christmas Eve. Personally and for MWC bowls, I’m hoping for the New Mexico Bowl (it is convenient and a good time).
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:24 pm We are officially on to the bowl game. Although unlikely, I hope we can get a non-MWC bowl in a Texas or Florida location.

My money is on the Hawaii Bowl for Christmas Eve. Personally and for MWC bowls, I’m hoping for the New Mexico Bowl (it is convenient and a good time).
I'm with ya. I don't have the time or desire to make that long flight to the islands. I'm very tired of us playing MAC teams. There are so many bowl games. Please let us play somewhere that's not Albuquerque.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

I wanna go to ABQ for a green chile fix, (will be my 3rd NM Bowl if so)
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

I predict New Mexico bowl vs New Mexico State
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

Camellia Bowl.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 49 times

I am hearing Wyoming is getting strong consideration from the Armed Forces Bowl in Fort Worth. Opponent would most likely be Kansas.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

TheRealUW wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:42 pm I am hearing Wyoming is getting strong consideration from the Armed Forces Bowl in Fort Worth. Opponent would most likely be Kansas.
I would think they would want Air Force instead of Wyoming
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 49 times

doreno5 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:42 am
TheRealUW wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:42 pm I am hearing Wyoming is getting strong consideration from the Armed Forces Bowl in Fort Worth. Opponent would most likely be Kansas.
You may end up being correct.

However, Air Force played in the Armed Forces bowl last year and the game was not particularly well attended, even with Baylor (their opponent), being only one hour down the road. Air Force has really sputtered down the stretch - I would not be surprised if the selection committee looks for an alternative to Air Force for a second year in a row.
doreno5
Ranch Hand

TheRealUW wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:13 am
doreno5 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:42 am

However, Air Force played in the Armed Forces bowl last year and the game was not particularly well attended, even with Baylor (their opponent), being only one hour down the road. Air Force has really sputtered down the stretch - I would not be surprised if the selection committee looks for an alternative to Air Force for a second year in a row.
Did not know they played there last year. Both Army and Navy are 5-6 so the winner of that game will probably get the nod.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

doreno5 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:41 am
TheRealUW wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:13 am

Did not know they played there last year. Both Army and Navy are 5-6 so the winner of that game will probably get the nod.
How would that work? I saw where James Madison and Jackson St would likely go bowling because so many teams weren’t eligible.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:00 pm
doreno5 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:41 am Did not know they played there last year. Both Army and Navy are 5-6 so the winner of that game will probably get the nod.
How would that work? I saw where James Madison and Jackson St would likely go bowling because so many teams weren’t eligible.
The winner of the Dec. 9 Army/Navy game is automatically eligible at 6-6. It makes sense that the winner would go to the December 27 Military Bowl.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:07 pm

The winner of the Dec. 9 Army/Navy game is automatically eligible at 6-6. It makes sense that the winner would go to the December 27 Military Bowl.
That makes sense.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

I will be happy with pretty much any bowl game, but don't want:

- Hawaii Bowl - Great destination for the players, but it's in front of an empty stadium, without marching bands, early in the day. It's just not an exciting game.
- Arizona Bowl - Barstool Sports. 'nuff said. I just don't need another "broadcast" watching replays of fat guys running to get tees and listening to sub-standard smack talk. I think those guys were wasted.

I'm sure the players aren't really excited about going to the Potato Bowl, but as a fan not at the game, it's good.
doreno5
Ranch Hand

My preference would be the New Mexico bowl v. New Mexico State. It is relatively easy trip for most of Wyoming and playing against an in state team should mean a good crowd on both sides.
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

MWWIRE is projecting the Cowboys to Frisco Bowl against SMU. This would be fantastic. As a guy that has repeatedly said that bowls ain't what they used to be (since ESPN turned bowl season into 2 weeks of programming with 82 schools participating) and the MWC bowl line up being possibly the worst in the G5 (neither of which are Wyoming's fault). But at least a potential match up with an AAC school (far and away the best G5 conference), that's playing in its conference championship game, that's getting a P5 call up next year, with the Cowboys going for their most wins in a season in 27 years is infinitely more interesting that than any bowl game outside of BYU in the Bohl era.Don't care that its played in a soccer stadium as long as the end zones are painted for the teams playing in the game itself and not Arizona Wildcats.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

cowpoke pride wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:55 pm MWWIRE is projecting the Cowboys to Frisco Bowl against SMU. This would be fantastic. As a guy that has repeatedly said that bowls ain't what they used to be (since ESPN turned bowl season into 2 weeks of programming with 82 schools participating) and the MWC bowl line up being possibly the worst in the G5 (neither of which are Wyoming's fault). But at least a potential match up with an AAC school (far and away the best G5 conference), that's playing in its conference championship game, that's getting a P5 call up next year is infinitely more interesting that than any bowl game outside of BYU in the Bohl era. Don't care that its played in a soccer stadium as long as the end zones are painted for the teams playing in the game itself and not Arizona Wildcats.
I’ve seen projections of the First Responders Bowl, NM Bowl, Frisco, and the Camella. It’ll be interesting to see. I saw a projection NMst and Minnesota as a projection for the NM Bowl. Be an interesting one.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:07 pm

From what I've read, Amy and Navy have to be eligible before their match up to be bowl eligible as the game is after invites go out. This is why Minnesota at 5-7 will get a bowl game this year (highest APR of the 5 win teams). I would have liked to see some bowl say "we'll take the winner of army-navy", but I don't think that will happen.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Hawaii Bowl is out. Will be SJSU v. Coastal Carolina.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 4:08 pm Hawaii Bowl is out. Will be SJSU v. Coastal Carolina.
That's ok, too expensive and hard to get there for Pokes fans...still waiting