2023 regular season in the books

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

Well...well well.

Looking back at the preseason prognostications on this forum...lots of folks had 6 wins...a few had 7 or higher and a few went lower. Lots of comments (including my own) saying 8 was the ceiling. Bohl got the most out of this group that "he" could have gotten IMO. I think we need move on from Bohl but firing him is the wrong move.

My best preseason observation was that if we beat Fresno, would we lose a home game? Otherwise the team sort of outperformed my expectations. Crapping the bed in Boise was really demoralizing.
J-Bone
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 11 times

We also got a couple big wins in nationally televised games. Hopefully, that can earn us some points in recruiting.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 601 times
Been liked: 239 times

Season review time:

I'll go position by position.

QB: Pretty good improvement this year statistically, but not good enough. Peasley beat up on the bad opponents, but struggled big time against the good teams. We will miss Peasley's running ability as he is very fast. Just wish Peasley could have been a little more consistent for us. We'll always have this decent season he gave us and a win over the sheep. No one can take that away from him.

Svboda?? What do we have here? He can run a bit, but not as well as Peasley, but hopefully will have better pocket presence (something Peas struggled with). Boda has a strong arm and appears to be accurate. I could tell the staff really didn't trust him yet since the only routes he was told to throw to were routes on the sidelines. I am hopeful that he will be an improvement. What would really be cool is if someone beat out 'Boda because that means that guy would be special.. Anderson... May. Whoever.

WR: We lose a lot here. Wieland, Asante, Gentry, Brown, Marquez are gone. Pellisier, Boddie, Sargent and Merritt will need to step up big time. This is the position group that I think can benefit the most from the Portal. Asante turned out to be pretty excellent and was underutilized. I will miss Wieland as he was gritty and consistent.

TE: Welch has been a really good TE for us. I will miss him. He's a solid, solid player. The reigns will be passed on to Gyllenborg, who people have begun raving about. Hope that his fairly pedestrian numbers don't make him a target to get poached away. If he were smart he'd stay in this offense and flourish. Collin O'Brien is gone too. We need another young TE to step up and play alongside Gyllenborg.

OL: It's hard to say what this group needs. They could be the best in the conference, but it wouldn't show based off how our offense is and how easy to defend against it is. It's kind of an impossible task they are asked to do game after game. Pass blocking was OK, but not the best. I give this group a B. We will miss Crum, who was a warrior. I think this group could use an infusion of talent, but good OL are hard to come by in the Portal. The C, Tulafono is a good player, but needs to clean up the snapping issues - that cost us big time in the UNLV game.

RB: Waylee was amazing this year when healthy. One of the best backs I've ever seen. I really hope he comes back next year and is healthy and puts together the best season a Wyoming RB has ever had. That's definitely on the table. Also coming back is Ferrell and Scott. I do not know the status of McNeely. IMO we could use another good back to spell Waylee and take over for when he leaves.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Svoboda is the 2nd most physically gifted QB I have seen in a Wyoming uniform. I am looking forward to watching him next year. If the coaches open up the offense, we could be in for some big games similar to 2016; but we need to take the bad with the good because he is surely to throw his share of picks.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

We need to find two Asante like receivers in the portal. We should be flipping over all rocks (including FCS and Division 2).
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

Hopefully what is troubling Hoyland get straightened out as well. His kickoffs were lacking distance, height and accuracy since the Air Force game when he also started missing FGs.