Cowboy Wrestling

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 601 times
Been liked: 239 times

They beat Western Wyoming juco using a funny lineup. Pokes also wrestled some intrasquad matches and there were some interesting results. Lots of unknowns with this team. I'm confident we've got some good, young wrestlers on this team, as well as a couple impact transfers. I bet we're better than we have been the past few years.

Starting lineup?

125: Jore Volk - Let's go!
133: ? Think this weight is fairly wide open
141: Gabe Willochel - transfer from Edinboro, NCAA qualifier,
149: ? Cole Brooks is a freshman who projects to be very good. He destroyed two cowboys in the intra squad including ^Willochel
157: ? Wide open Voorhees? Noonan?
165: ? Wide open Logan Ours? Freshman Sloan Swan?
174: ? Fairly wide open. Maybe freshman Paolo Salminen from Billings can grab this spot.
184: Ethan Ducca - Edinboro transfer. Should be solid
197: Joey Novak - I think he's going to be a great one. True freshman.
HWT: Kevin Zimmer - I think he'll surprise people this year. There is also Lane Catlin form Gillette whom I think should be a good wrestler.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

It’s Jore Volk and who are these guys. Time will tell but I don’t believe we will be very good this year considering our youth and inexperience. I get that Western Wyoming is a good JUCO but we should not lose any matches to them (let alone multiple matches including a major).
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:53 am It’s Jore Volk and who are these guys. Time will tell but I don’t believe we will be very good this year considering our youth and inexperience. I get that Western Wyoming is a good JUCO but we should not lose any matches to them (let alone multiple matches including a major).
I don't think our best lineup was out there.
wyosports
Buckaroo
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Big win tonight against a below average team, but we are fun to watch. Four true freshman are in the lineup and they all look really good. Also, great class signed yesterday for 2024,. Wrestling is on the rise. Go pokes!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

wyosports wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:32 pm Big win tonight against a below average team, but we are fun to watch. Four true freshman are in the lineup and they all look really good. Also, great class signed yesterday for 2024,. Wrestling is on the rise. Go pokes!
I was following on Twitter. Seems like we just absolutely mauled them. Volk didn’t wrestle for some reason, but if he did then we would have shut them out. No Willochel either. Our freshmen seem legit. Ducca seems like a great addition.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Now I am really confused at what our best lineup is lol. Is volk having trouble making weight at 125? Is he going 133? And where does willochel fit in? Seems like Brooks has locked up 141
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

We beat cal baptist by quite a bit. Novak and Brooks certainly look impressive for freshmen. Ducca solid as well. Looks like we’ve got a HWT in Zimmerman. No volk. Why no Volk??
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

I'm in the where is Volk camp as well. Followed all weekend and didn't see hide nor hair of him, let alone hear anything about why he isn't available.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

aranderson wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:47 am I'm in the where is Volk camp as well. Followed all weekend and didn't see hide nor hair of him, let alone hear anything about why he isn't available.
Yeah, I don't like it when star athletes just disappear from the lineup seemingly for no reason.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:37 am
aranderson wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:47 am I'm in the where is Volk camp as well. Followed all weekend and didn't see hide nor hair of him, let alone hear anything about why he isn't available.
Yeah, I don't like it when star athletes just disappear from the lineup seemingly for no reason.
The last time it happened with Buchanan didn’t turn out so well…
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

https://www.ufc.com/news/jore-volk-wave ... erdog-role
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:05 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:37 am
The last time it happened with Buchanan didn’t turn out so well…
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

We lost the barn battle, but looked like a big success overall. Lots of exposure. Volk was back in the lineup, thank goodness. Campbell seems like a good team, not sure how they are not in intermat’s dual team rankings. They have a couple top 10 ranked wrestlers and three others in the top 20 or so. We lost a few close one
wyosports
Buckaroo

For the most part it was a good day for wrestling at the Cliff Keen Invitational. Volk is wrestling in Quaterfinals tonight, all three true freshmen are still alive, as is Willochell at 149.
125 Volk looks strong. 2-0
133 Birdwell went 1-2, but continues to lose close matches, that he seems capable of winning.
141 Brooks is currently 2-1 on the day, lose came to #2 from NE.
149 Gabe looks pretty good as well. 2-1
157- 165 are the team's weakness, both kids are over matched.
174 Riley Davis is an absolute beast, a motor like no other 2-1 on the day and turning heads.
184 Q Short filling in for injury to Ducca, 1-2, but wrestled solid.
197 Joey Novac- Stud 2-1, with pin over #16 from Ohio State.
HWT 1-2 lost a tuff match.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Yup good stuff from Vegas. Novak beat a really highly touted guy. Brooks and Davis are studs too. Quite the trio of true freshmen. Hoping Jore can realize all his potential and this is the tournament to cement himself as a top 5-10’guy. Missed Ducca. Need some middle weights as mentioned above
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Jore in the semis! Novak and Willowchel still alive. We sit in 16th place. Not a bad day for this young team
wyosports
Buckaroo

We surprised a lot of people today, projected to finish in the bottom three of the team race and we are squarely in the middle of the pack. Even more good news for the future with the recruits we just signed and have committed for the next two years. Two top 60 next year and one top 50 in the 2025 class. Really looking forward to seeing us in person against OSU in a couple weeks. Go pokes!
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Where was Ethan Ducca at the tournament? We probably would have had another placer with him out there.

Edit: I see in the lineup you posted he is out with injury. Is it season ending or just something he is waiting till Mizzou for?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

aranderson wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:57 am Where was Ethan Ducca at the tournament? We probably would have had another placer with him out there.

Edit: I see in the lineup you posted he is out with injury. Is it season ending or just something he is waiting till Mizzou for?
I don't think it's season-ending. But who knows
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Cowboys do pretty well at the Reno TOC. Volk beat Figueroa of Az state who is a top three wrestler. Big win for Jore
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Jore got 2nd to #7 Ayala in a weird match. There was a scramble where both had each other’s leg , but Jore had him on his back 2-3 times for a LONG time while the other guy still had his leg. Imo he should have had near fall 2-3 times.

Joey Novak got 3rd. Good tourney for him with some good wins. He lost to AJ Ferrari.

No Riley Davis, no Cole Brooks, no Willowchel, no Ducca. Where the f are all our wrestlers?? Guess we’re a two man team? Wt freak is going on

Speaking of AJ he lost his mind and pushed and punched his opponent after he beat him , flipped him off, then did the splits while flipping the double bird to the fans . LMAO is was so horrible is was glorious. And he’s supposedly going to Iowa next semester and this was at Iowa’s tournament . lol