Two games left

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

Well.... The pokes are limping closer to the finish line. It seems like we should beat Hawaii at home. My prediction that the pokes will give up and slide up 6-6 is still in play. I couldn't find it but a thread from before the season began had a lot of 6 or 7 win predictions....

If the cowboys win both games, wich is not completely unlikely, it will be more wins than I predicted... So, yay, I guess.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

The depressing thing is if we had won even one of the games @AF, @Boise, @UNLV we’d likely be in the championship game. Barf
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Well...UH just beat AFA and we don't handle "open" offenses very well (Go-Go, Air Raid, Run and Shoot, heavy RPO). They're still not great, but they're starting to settle in a bit under Chang. Luckily we're at home.

Nevada is an FCS-level team, but so are we on the road....so there's that as well.

We've seen Wyoming teams absolutely lay down once the championship game is out of the question, so I have to believe that's a factor as well.

Will be mildly interesting to see how it plays out, but in the end....same sh**, different year.

What pisses me off the most about this year, though, is that it was right there for the taking. The conference was practically f***ing handed to us on a silver platter and we just pissed it away. Hell, AFA just lost again, Fresno just lost again, Boise State is the worst they've been in a decade...again, the conference was gifted to us and we just flailed around incoherently like mentally challenged toddlers. Lmao.

It's actually incredibly comical at this point. As is Bohl's vagueness and increasing amounts of deflection in pressers...which makes me think he's mailed it in too.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 48 times

The most worrying thing to me is that the team, including Bohl, is opening admitting they have no idea how to fix the road woes problem. In the post-game press conference Peasley even said, ‘It’s hard to fix something when you don’t know what the problem is’. It sounds like the coaches stressed ‘starting fast’ all week leading up to the UNLV game - we all saw how effective that approach was.

Good leaders identify problems, get to the root cause, and implement strategies to correct it. If you can’t even identify the problem, you should really think about stepping down from that leadership role.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

TheRealUW wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:54 am The most worrying thing to me is that the team, including Bohl, is opening admitting they have no idea how to fix the road woes problem. In the post-game press conference Peasley even said, ‘It’s hard to fix something when you don’t know what the problem is’. It sounds like the coaches stressed ‘starting fast’ all week leading up to the UNLV game - we all saw how effective that approach was.

Good leaders identify problems, get to the root cause, and implement strategies to correct it. If you can’t even identify the problem, you should really think about stepping down from that leadership role.
I've mentioned this...over the last couple of years Bohl seems more exasperated with a lack of answers in pressers and interviews. Particularly regarding the offensive woes, but also with things like our road performance.

I think he knows he's reached the limits of his own personal coaching ability, and it has taken a long time to sink in.

The UNLV postgame was very telling though...that's probably the most "I don't know and I don't wanna talk about it" I've ever seen Bohl.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:17 am
TheRealUW wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:54 am The most worrying thing to me is that the team, including Bohl, is opening admitting they have no idea how to fix the road woes problem. In the post-game press conference Peasley even said, ‘It’s hard to fix something when you don’t know what the problem is’. It sounds like the coaches stressed ‘starting fast’ all week leading up to the UNLV game - we all saw how effective that approach was.

I've mentioned this...over the last couple of years Bohl seems more exasperated with a lack of answers in pressers and interviews. Particularly regarding the offensive woes, but also with things like our road performance.

I think he knows he's reached the limits of his own personal coaching ability, and it has taken a long time to sink in.

The UNLV postgame was very telling though...that's probably the most "I don't know and I don't wanna talk about it" I've ever seen Bohl.
Do you guys remember late era Glenn? That message was coming through from him as well during the last two years. Him and Bohl just ran out of levers to pull.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

307bball wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:28 am Do you guys remember late era Glenn? That message was coming through from him as well during the last two years. Him and Bohl just ran out of levers to pull.
Yea, but I also think Glenn knew Burman wasn't gonna cut him any slack, and his job was on the line for half his time here. Tom seemed to just be perpetually waiting for an excuse to can him.

Would put me in a consistently apathetic and/or pissy mood too. Lol.

But yea, you can definitely tell when coaches are just...done. They know they have no answers and they know they've done all they feel they can personally do given the situation, and it just bleeds through in their tone and body language in addition to the answers they give.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

TheRealUW wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:54 am The most worrying thing to me is that the team, including Bohl, is opening admitting they have no idea how to fix the road woes problem.
I have one thing to try: Fly to the game on game day, not the night before.
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

I still think they beat Hawaii and despite playing on the road, SHOULD beat Reno (will probably regret typing that). Win this year's match up with a 6-6 MAC school in the bowl and the Cowboys would amass the most wins in a season in 27 years. That has to count for something.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

cowpoke pride wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:44 pm I still think they beat Hawaii and despite playing on the road, SHOULD beat Reno (will probably regret typing that). Win this year's match up with a 6-6 MAC school in the bowl and the Cowboys would amass the most wins in a season in 27 years. That has to count for something.
My guess would be several years extension in that scenario
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

WyomingAgJ wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:18 am
cowpoke pride wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:44 pm I still think they beat Hawaii and despite playing on the road, SHOULD beat Reno (will probably regret typing that). Win this year's match up with a 6-6 MAC school in the bowl and the Cowboys would amass the most wins in a season in 27 years. That has to count for something.
God I hope not. I mean I would like the wins but not an extension. Let Bohl finish out next season and hire someone like the UNLV OC.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

doreno5 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:37 am
WyomingAgJ wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:18 am

God I hope not. I mean I would like the wins but not an extension. Let Bohl finish out next season and hire someone like the UNLV OC.
Read on SM that Brady Hoke is likely retiring in Whale's kitty at the end of the year. Why can't we be so lucky? :cry:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

McPeachy wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:53 am
doreno5 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:37 am

Read on SM that Brady Hoke is likely retiring in Whale's kitty at the end of the year. Why can't we be so lucky? :cry:
Confirmed:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ire-season
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

My bet - Bohl gets a ‘1 year’ extension after this year with the quiet understanding that he will actually retire at the end of next year. You can’t have a lame duck coach and hope to maintain a staff so this makes the most sense.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

The no quit mentality will be tested. HI won't be easy and NV on the road neutralizes a lot of advantage the POKES have.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

I've said it before I'll say it again..
He's not a FBS head coach, even though he's had many NFL caliber players, his tenure at FBS level is still unimpressive and its like Joe Glenn 2.0...2 games below 500 is very disappointing and we'll split these last 2 and lose to a bad Nevada team...and struggle to get it done vs the Rainbows this weekend.....but if they do win outright and go 8-4...a mark that looks good on paper...just think what coulda or SHOULDA been...and i forsee a Hawaii bowl this year if its 8-4, if 7-5 Potato Bowl bound yet again
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:23 am My bet - Bohl gets a ‘1 year’ extension after this year with the quiet understanding that he will actually retire at the end of next year. You can’t have a lame duck coach and hope to maintain a staff so this makes the most sense.
This does make sense...get an extra to ride off into the sunset!!