Fire Bohl

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:12 pm If there is an argument that Bohl is better than Glenn, I'm not sure I belive it.

WYO football is probably a fool's errand. Is what it is I guess.
Bohl will go down as a better coach then Glenn but that is not much of a distinction. The only thing Bohl did that Glenn couldn't do was keep the bottom from dropping out of the program. It still could happen to Bohl though.....

In my lifetime, the only coaches I consider "good" are Roach and Tiller.... Everybody else is aggressively average or just bad.
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

307bball wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:58 pm
stymeman wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:40 pm I kept saying at the beginning (the year#10) I didn't know what to think about this team, haven't been to any games, watched early on, then started drinking some of the kool aid amd went to the 1st half of the NM game. I thought that maybe, finally the luck was on our side(for a change) and maybe in Year 10 this was the year that things would go UW's way(and man was it overdue)....BUT...we see bad playcalling in the 4th qtr against AF and have some fg luck go against us.....i tried to stay optimistic going into a bye week, we get somewhat healthy and maybe have a chance to win for the 1st time @ Smurf turf....Then i turn on the 2nd half and hear from many counterparts saying we played a good 1st half. W.T.F. happened and why yet again? What did the coaches study for, what game plan(or lack thereof, like always). Lets say it was truly PATHETIC and i stopped watching yet again. The last 4 are NOT walks in the park as we have a tendency to play down to the competition....why....why....after 10 years it's still truly obvious the "D1" level is too much for Bohl, 57-59...nope its just not in the cards. I'm soooo glad he has 1 more year on his contract, (no extensions needed) lets let him ride off into the sunset, as FCS is what this coach knows, unfortunately and we can't get over the hump in the MWC....nope Bohl thoughts of how a power running game like Nebraska used to be doesnt work at little ol Wyo either. The transfer portal isnt our friend the adjustments dont work there and the run, run, pass, punt is just too predictable and we aren't meant to get past 7-5 and play for "better" bowls. 2024 I'm ready to send Coach Bohl off into the proverbial sunset and thanks for "some" memories but not enough in terms of conference championships(like i expect over the course of time). And maybe you can take Mr Burman with you, and we UW fans can evolve and adapt to youthful coaches that will try to get kids in Laramie that wanna learn and win conference championships not just "make a Bohl"
Yeah... Your experience mirrors my own.....I just don't don't understand why anybody thinks it gets better though. Everybody talks about the"ceiling" for Bohl.... I'm not so sure that is not just the Wyoming ceiling. Up and coming youthful coach? Sure... I'm all for it in theory. Not holding my breath.

Bohl is not the only thing that major college football has left behind...I think the Wyoming program has been left behind.
Here’s why I don’t think this is the ceiling: go back and look at nearly every season since 2016 and on. Every year there a handful of mind boggling games that his conservative poop and terrible playcalling cost them wins. I don’t feel like like looking now, but I can say we should have had at least 2 to 3, 10 win seasons. Maybe the next guy won’t get the players the current staff gets, but I’m on board with seeing what happens. I’m over this poop. We didn’t even cross mid-field today with the offense. He can’t win on the road and he consistently sucks after bye weeks. Today was a prime example of a team that prepared during a bye week and one that played patty cake for two weeks.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

PokeNer wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:22 pm

Yeah... Your experience mirrors my own.....I just don't don't understand why anybody thinks it gets better though. Everybody talks about the"ceiling" for Bohl.... I'm not so sure that is not just the Wyoming ceiling. Up and coming youthful coach? Sure... I'm all for it in theory. Not holding my breath.

Bohl is not the only thing that major college football has left behind...I think the Wyoming program has been left behind.
Here’s why I don’t think this is the ceiling: go back and look at nearly every season since 2016 and on. Every year there a handful of mind boggling games that his conservative poop and terrible playcalling cost them wins. I don’t feel like like looking now, but I can say we should have had at least 2 to 3, 10 win seasons. Maybe the next guy won’t get the players the current staff gets, but I’m on board with seeing what happens. I’m over this poop. We didn’t even cross mid-field today with the offense. He can’t win on the road and he consistently sucks after bye weeks. Today was a prime example of a team that prepared during a bye week and one that played patty cake for two weeks.
You might be right... It may actually be the case that Wyoming has not really been close to a conference championship outside of one year in the last 25 years simply because of bad coaching. I hope that is the case .... I really do.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

Whatever he does to prep for road conference games isn't it either. Really bad record on the road. Did he give the team Ambien for the flight?
W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

WYO can win but the losing abyss is also highly likely with a coaching change.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:56 am WYO can win but the losing abyss is also highly likely with a coaching change.
I’m willing to take that chance to try to bust through the 7-5 pond water bowl state this program is stuck in.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 16 times

Take a look at our recruiting. Most of these kids have been overlooked by many D1 programs, and when we get a kid who excels, many times he bolts for greener pastures. It’s actually pretty amazing we do as well as we do.
HR_Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Time for a change. Joe Glenn 2.0
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

I'm not advocating for Bohl staying. I'm just predicting where we'll be if/once we move on from Bohl whenever that is.

I'd say 70% chance we follow csu and UNM's path of success after they moved on from Sonny and Rocky.

25% chance we stay consistent at 7 wins +/-.

5% chance we hit lightning in a bottle and get the championship.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke

SDPokeFan wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:44 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:56 am WYO can win but the losing abyss is also highly likely with a coaching change.
I’m willing to take that chance to try to bust through the 7-5 pond water bowl state this program is stuck in.
Me too
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke

307bball wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:42 pm

You might be right... It may actually be the case that Wyoming has not really been close to a conference championship outside of one year in the last 25 years simply because of bad coaching. I hope that is the case .... I really do.
It could be a combination of everything. A different coach might be able to get a few better recruits, maybe or maybe not. A different coach might do far better in the transfer portal, or be better at developing players, or make better in game decisions, or might be a little more aggressive on sometimes going for it on 4th down or throwing in a trick play every so often, or might be better at prepping players for road games, or might have a competent passing game.

A different coach might be worse at all of those things. But we know what we have with Bohl which is roughly 5 to 6 losses every year. I'm ready to move on and take a chance on someone else who might do better at some or multiple of those things. We know after 10 years it isn't going to change with Bohl.

So we either live with a very average mountain west team each year who doesn't really ever contend for the top of the conference and is usually middle of the pack, or we take a chance with someone else who might contend for the top or might not. But the might not is no different then what we have right now. The media tries to portray last year as so close, but in reality we just played our two hardest games at the end of the season. Had they been earlier in the season We wouldn't have been in the hunt last year. This year our harder games were earlier in the season and we are now no longer in the hunt midway through the season
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

I know Bohl thinks you can't win in Wyoming with a passing offense. He apparently never heard of Joe Tiller.Yesterday I saw Boise State seemed to know both the play and the snap count. Peasley was inaccurate all night and was tenative when he did get outside the pocket and had a chance to run. We have good tight ends and a back with great speed , yet we never throw screen pass. Taylor was a turnstile giving up play after play..special teams were more like special ed. All around horrible
doreno5
Ranch Hand

I know Bohl thinks you can't win in Wyoming with a passing offense. He apparently never heard of Joe Tiller.Yesterday I saw Boise State seemed to know both the play and the snap count. Peasley was inaccurate all night and was tenative when he did get outside the pocket and had a chance to run. We have good tight ends and a back with great speed , yet we never throw screen pass. Taylor was a turnstile giving up play after play..special teams were more like special ed. All around horrible
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

307bball wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:18 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:12 pm If there is an argument that Bohl is better than Glenn, I'm not sure I belive it.

WYO football is probably a fool's errand. Is what it is I guess.
Bohl will go down as a better coach then Glenn but that is not much of a distinction. The only thing Bohl did that Glenn couldn't do was keep the bottom from dropping out of the program. It still could happen to Bohl though.....

In my lifetime, the only coaches I consider "good" are Roach and Tiller.... Everybody else is aggressively average or just bad.
Glenn coached against a MUCH tougher MWC. Not even comparable
I'm good for 3!
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Cornpoke wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:05 pm
307bball wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:18 pm

I've argued a lot with people on this point and how it relates to how good or bad a coach is considered to be and I'm not eager to re-open it.

In my opinion, in my lifetime, it's Roach, Tiller, then a huge drop to Bohl/Glenn and the rest. IMO, Bohl is the cherry on that turd Sunday. The salient difference between them is that Bohl had kept the bottom from dropping out (so far) in a way that Glenn couldn't and it rightfully cost him his job if you want to consider Glenn better, I'll disagree but I've definitely heard crazier takes on this board.

When it comes to personality I actually prefer Glenn, but I value not being the worst team in the conference to much for that to make much of a difference.
doreno5
Ranch Hand

307bball wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:37 pm
Cornpoke wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:05 pm

I've argued a lot with people on this point and how it relates to how good or bad a coach is considered to be and I'm not eager to re-open it.

In my opinion, in my lifetime, it's Roach, Tiller, then a huge drop to Bohl/Glenn and the rest. IMO, Bohl is the cherry on that turd Sunday. The salient difference between them is that Bohl had kept the bottom from dropping out (so far) in a way that Glenn couldn't and it rightfully cost him his job if you want to consider Glenn better, I'll disagree but I've definitely heard crazier takes on this board.

When it comes to personality I actually prefer Glenn, but I value not being the worst team in the conference to much for that to make much of a difference.
We had some one season wonders too -Akers, Dye, and Erickson. All of them went on to win national championships. Technically you could add Devaney too (I am an old guy) as far as best in my lifetime.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

I'm finally on the bandwagon. Time for Bohl to go. This game and the Fresno debacle last season are 100% coaching failures. There's no other explanation. How the hell do you not have your team ready to play after an effing bye week?!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

WYO1016 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:40 am I'm finally on the bandwagon. Time for Bohl to go. This game and the Fresno debacle last season are 100% coaching failures. There's no other explanation. How the hell do you not have your team ready to play after an effing bye week?!
I don't know how you can be a D1 coach, at the level he is, and come out of a bye week playing so pathetic. There is clearly a disconnect, no matter how cool we think Bohl is. And sure, great, we aren't cellar dwellers. We are meh, and have been for 35 years.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
307bball
WyoNation Addict

doreno5 wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:32 am
307bball wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 7:37 pm

We had some one season wonders too -Akers, Dye, and Erickson. All of them went on to win national championships. Technically you could add Devaney too (I am an old guy) as far as best in my lifetime.
Yeah...I Kind of remember Kincaid but only really became a fan that can remember the teams and games during the Erickson season.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

307bball wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:42 pm It may actually be the case that Wyoming has not really been close to a conference championship outside of one year in the last 25 years simply because of bad coaching. I hope that is the case .... I really do.
I mean, it's definitely been a combination of factors...but the coaching has almost assuredly been the biggest.

Our coaching history has been terrible:

-Dimel semi-successfully rode on Tiller's coattails obviously...then failed miserably at Houston, got booted back to being a coordinator at KState for years and years, and is now falling on his face year after year at UTEP.

-Koenning needs no introduction or explanation. He was never a head coach again (outside of a single game as an interim).

-Glenn's tenure has some nuance for sure and is a brighter spot

-DC literally got laughed out of the country; he's coaching in Poland.

-Bohl is the best of the group, but look at the discussion we're having now.