Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Home schedule 2023...

11/06 Northern New Mexico
11/11 Cal Poly
12/05 South Dakota School of Mines
12/09 Stephen F. Austin
12/16 Weber State

5 games. All worthless opponents. Holy poop am I glad I renewed my season tickets for this poop. :thumbdown:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

That is brutally bad and uncompelling
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Not surprising to me. With how terrible we did last year and our net ranking back down near 200 the whole year, we do nothing this year to boost other teams at large resumes and would be a resume killer to any decent team if they lose to us home or away.

I expect it will be 2 seasons before we have a decent non conference again and that's assuming we improve over the next 2 years.

Finish in top half of mw this year and we probably get a slightly better schedule next year with maybe a low to mid quality non conference tournament.

Finish again stronger in 2024 and we finally will probably be able to be able to put together a good non conference schedule in 2025.

But last year's fiasco has a 2 year set back written all over it in terms of scheduling quality games that would give us any chance towards an at large bid chance type schedule
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Yeah non conference games at the AA truly is one of the weakest I've seen in many years. Not expecting much this season, hopefully it's a rebuild for great things in the future....might not have many fans at the Dome of Doom this year,,,, oh well.....game by game!!!
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

There were not many fans at the dod last year.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

It's tough to get decent teams to Laramie when the team is good. After poop the bed last season this is going to be the best schedule we could get.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Maybe a bunch of cupcakes and no names is just what this rebuilding teams needs.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:35 am Maybe a bunch of cupcakes and no names is just what this rebuilding teams needs.
Likely. But for the season ticket holder (me) this sucks!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

McPeachy wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:55 am
LanderPoke wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:35 am Maybe a bunch of cupcakes and no names is just what this rebuilding teams needs.
Likely. But for the season ticket holder (me) this sucks!
Me (season tix) too, brother.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 49 times

That's a rough non-conference home slate. Not much to look forward to prior to conference play if you are a season ticket holder.

I get the feeling we are going to see a lot of pre-conference tournaments on the schedule heading forward. It makes sense from a financial and competition stand point. These tournaments usually provide access to 2-3 games against mid to upper tier opponents on a neutral court, and they are often in a desirable location. Unfortunately, most of these teams would never consider coming to Laramie.

The formula seems to be cupcakes at home, mid-tier opponents in tournament format, and a couple tough challenges in a true road environment. Should give us a pretty good idea of what kind of team we have heading into conference play.
Vancopoke
Buckaroo
Been liked: 1 time

So we're playing at BYU on 12/30. Do we get a return game next year?

If like ASU and Colorado in football in the next few years where not returning to Laramie, not worth scheduling. Hate playing BYU period.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

We didn’t renew our season tickets this year (we had great but expensive seats). We will still catch several games but job changes and the team’s outlook for this season led to the decision. Seeing the OOC schedule reaffirms our decision. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a worse home schedule.

I do see the basketball team together quite a bit outside of practice so it seems that the culture is MUCH MUCH better now that the California 3 are long gone.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

Wonder what the transfer portal will look like after this season??? Oh wait...gotta wait
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Been liked: 16 times

stymeman wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:20 pm Wonder what the transfer portal will look like after this season??? Oh wait...gotta wait
Aren't 5 or 6 of the new players transfers? Players only get 1 free transfer then they have to sit out a year if they transfer again, so I would assume most if not all of them will stay no matter how the season goes
stymeman
Bronco-Buster

How bad will this be, eerily similar to the suiting up a manager year, ughhhh
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 49 times

stymeman wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:27 am How bad will this be, eerily similar to the suiting up a manager year, ughhhh
I have absolutely no idea what to expect for this coming season. This will basically be an entirely new team compared to last year. While there is a possibility that things could be even worse than last year, there is just of much of a chance that we are better...maybe even significantly better than last year.

We were recently picked to finish 10th in the conference, only ahead of Air Force. That has to be taken with a massive hand full of salt, because nobody voting has any clue about the players on our roster. And let's not forget, we were picked to finish 2nd last season...and we all saw how that played out.

I am actually quite excited to see this team in the opening game against Metro State on October 27th. I can't remember a previous season where there was so much unknown about the basketball team. It is refreshing in an odd way - I have no expectations, positive or negative, about this team. I can just sit back and see how it all plays out.