Bohl, Gameplan, adjustments

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

We have had some pretty good game plans going into games and have a done a good job of executing them, but then there is no adjustments to the adjustments made by the other team. 4th and 4 close to mid field and we do not prepare for a fake punt, everybody but our coaching staff new that is a good time for a fake. I am sure Bohl will make the same old excuses in the press conference tomorrow.
Pokes are gonna have some close games down the stretch. Each game except for maybe Hawaii is gonna be a good game. 10-2 possible but so is 6-6. Lets Go.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Is it my imagination or did the Pokes seem way too conservative offensively after they recovered the fumble late in the game? Very bad offensive planning to go 3 and out at that time.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:41 pm Is it my imagination or did the Pokes seem way too conservative offensively after they recovered the fumble late in the game? Very bad offensive planning to go 3 and out at that time.
Not just after the fumble, the whole second half.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

The quote below is from MW connections power ranking. I would say our offense is pretty good H1 of most games this season. It’s the H2 adjustments that are killing is. No offensive production in the adjustments from H1 to H2. Why?

2) Wyoming
The Cowboys lost a close contest, but they should still be mentioned in the same sentence as Air Force when it comes to the strength of the Mountain West. Their defense is great as usual and while their offense is still keeping them from being an elite team, it is no longer keeping from being a great team.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:40 am The quote below is from MW connections power ranking. I would say our offense is pretty good H1 of most games this season. It’s the H2 adjustments that are killing is. No offensive production in the adjustments from H1 to H2. Why?

2) Wyoming
The Cowboys lost a close contest, but they should still be mentioned in the same sentence as Air Force when it comes to the strength of the Mountain West. Their defense is great as usual and while their offense is still keeping them from being an elite team, it is no longer keeping from being a great team.
I think their point is spot on. How long have we talked about how far this team could go with a passing offense that was just functional? The answer, for this year, is on the cusp of the Top 25. And if we were a step above functional we would be a top 20 team in the country right now. Whether we are functional, above, or below the rest of the year will dictate if this team can be MW champions and win a good bowl game.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

Poke in New England wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:20 pm
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:40 am The quote below is from MW connections power ranking. I would say our offense is pretty good H1 of most games this season. It’s the H2 adjustments that are killing is. No offensive production in the adjustments from H1 to H2. Why?

2) Wyoming
I think their point is spot on. How long have we talked about how far this team could go with a passing offense that was just functional? The answer, for this year, is on the cusp of the Top 25. And if we were a step above functional we would be a top 20 team in the country right now. Whether we are functional, above, or below the rest of the year will dictate if this team can be MW champions and win a good bowl game.
Agreed, I still don’t understand the lack of offense in H2. It baffles me why the change to so conservative against AFA. If the scheme is the same as H1 we win, imo.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:44 pm
Agreed, I still don’t understand the lack of offense in H2. It baffles me why the change to so conservative against AFA. If the scheme is the same as H1 we win, imo.
I think for whatever reason, Polasek has finally figured out how to change things up and come into a game giving a team different looks and rustling their jimmies a bit....but he's not figured out how to adjust to other teams' defensive halftime adjustments.

Although, I think it's a combination of that and some bad luck too. When AFA has the ball for almost the entire third quarter, it's difficult to establish anything, regardless of what you have planned. Then you have a few plays that don't go well for whatever reason...penalties, execution, what have you...maybe he's trying to settle things down and get things grounded again. (It's clearly not working, but yea.)

I do understand that you can't just take low percentage shots downfield every single play, especially when things are already going south, you're running out of time, and you don't have a super accurate QB or receivers that get a lot of separation....but I refuse to believe this is just the way it is and there's no answer.

Alas, there's a reason I'm not an FBS offensive coordinator. /shrug
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 15 times

We do have to credit AFA with a defensive adjustment as well, but that makes the lack of offense all the more frustrating.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

When the opposing team has the ball for the first 10 minutes of the 3d quarter, it's hard to score.
We controlled the ball in the first half and only had a 4 point lead. Our run defense has been bad all year. But they've bent and not broken. They were broken on Saturday. 34 points and an inexcusable big play at the end of the game. There has been way too much focus on the offense. Understandable since the offense has been the weak link for years.
New Mexico just got curb stomped on their home field by San Jose State. New Mexico ran up and down the field on us in the 4th quarter with a backup qb. Our defense doesn't get off the field this year. 3 and outs are the exception to the rule.
I have no idea how the rest of the year will play out. But we won't many games giving up 300 rushing yards. I'm guessing that's the most points we've given up to Air Force since Bohl has been here.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 50 times

bladerunnr wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:35 am When the opposing team has the ball for the first 10 minutes of the 3d quarter, it's hard to score.
We controlled the ball in the first half and only had a 4 point lead. Our run defense has been bad all year. But they've bent and not broken. They were broken on Saturday. 34 points and an inexcusable big play at the end of the game. There has been way too much focus on the offense. Understandable since the offense has been the weak link for years.
New Mexico just got curb stomped on their home field by San Jose State. New Mexico ran up and down the field on us in the 4th quarter with a backup qb. Our defense doesn't get off the field this year. 3 and outs are the exception to the rule.
I have no idea how the rest of the year will play out. But we won't many games giving up 300 rushing yards. I'm guessing that's the most points we've given up to Air Force since Bohl has been here.
100% agree. Our run defense hasn't been good this year and they gave up 6.7 yards per carry to AF. They just haven't been as stout as the last few years. In general, 4 touchdowns from our offense should be enough to beat these guys.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

flyfishwyo wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:32 pm
bladerunnr wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:35 am When the opposing team has the ball for the first 10 minutes of the 3d quarter, it's hard to score.
100% agree. Our run defense hasn't been good this year and they gave up 6.7 yards per carry to AF. They just haven't been as stout as the last few years. In general, 4 touchdowns from our offense should be enough to beat these guys.
The defense has been a mild disappointment.