Brutal loss

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

TheRealUW wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:27 am
LanderPoke wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:11 am Can someone explain exactly how the review process works in college
My understanding is that most times this process is initiated by a review official in the booth. Of course, he/she has to communicate the need for a review down to the official on the field prior to the next snap so that play can be stopped and the referee can go watch the video replay.

Coaches also have the ability to challenge, but they must call a timeout in order to do so. Each team get's one coaches challenge per game, but they can get a second challenge if the first challenge is successful AND they have a timeout remaining.

I missed some of the first half yesterday, so I'm not sure if Bohl had already used a challenge. If he did, and it was not successful, then he would be unable to challenge another play for the rest of the game. Wyoming did have timeout's remaining, so that would not have been the issue.
If Bohl still had a challenge, and I can’t think of another instance when he would have needed one, then this loss is 100% on the staff. It would be inexcusable not to have made sure the refs looked at that
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

I don’t know what to think about this team. They could end up 10-2 or 5-7.
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I'm angry with losing, but I'm also happy with how the team fought. We always struggle in the Springs, and we were without our offensive star. There's no way in hell Waylee doesn't change the dynamics of that entire game. So many of our failed runs were the types of situations where he's good at making a guy miss, and then taking off for 20-50 yards. Our other backs simply don't do that, yet still tried their best.

I AM a bit upset with our coaching staff. Last week it was the onside kick they failed to even imagine could possibly happen, and yesterday it was the fake punt on a 4th and 1 against a team who LOVES going for it on 4th and short. Like seriously?

Edit: Also getting slightly concerned about our kicking. From perfect to finding a way to miss.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

This team will never win another conference title. It just won’t. I thought this was the year. Crushing.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:46 pm This team will never win another conference title. It just won’t. I thought this was the year. Crushing.
I REALLY hate admitting this but...I honestly agree. We are never ever winning a conference championship.

Hope you all remember 1988 with Paul Roach coaching us 'cos the last time we'll ever say WE'RE THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!

I don't count the 1993 title since that one was shared with Fresno and the unnamed ones whom I REALLY can't stand!!!!!! :tickedoff:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Wyokie wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:26 pm
SDPokeFan wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:46 pm This team will never win another conference title. It just won’t. I thought this was the year. Crushing.
I REALLY hate admitting this but...I honestly agree. We are never ever winning a conference championship.

Hope you all remember 1988 with Paul Roach coaching us 'cos the last time we'll ever say WE'RE THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!

I don't count the 1993 title since that one was shared with Fresno and the unnamed ones whom I REALLY can't stand!!!!!! :tickedoff:
I'm not here until we lose anther conference game.

Win out and get another crack at the flyboys.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Been liked: 45 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:52 pm
Wyokie wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:26 pm

And pray AFA screws up twice so we can host the title game since we play better in Laramie.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 35 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:52 pm

This.

I'm as angry about the loss as anyone, but we're still in the driver's seat for a championship appearance, with a somewhat easier schedule in front of us. We literally still control our own destiny.

I'm also one of Bohl's biggest and most outspoken critics and have been for years, but he and Polasek have made a very obvious effort to make some changes and adjustments this year and I'll give him credit for that.

This is also clearly another down-ish year for the MWC, and dropping divisions makes things a hell of a lot easier.

I'm a pretty big pessimist, but I don't think it's time to pull the plug yet. If we lose to BSU, then we have to rely on outside factors....but until then we control everything still, so why give up? Stay on the wagon for another couple weeks and see, eh?

As far as Hoyland goes, time will tell. All high-level kickers go through this at some point, and I think people tend to forget just how difficult kicking is and also how much of a psychological game it is for them. Luckily Bohl is the kicking coach and had plenty of experience with it and can guide him to the best of his ability...and Hoyland has performed under pressure plenty of times before. He just has to find that "feel" again. At the end of the day, though, that's something that no one else...players, coaches, etc....can control at all.

Anyway...like Zap said....this team could still go 10-2, or could spiral and end up 5-7. It's so hard to tell. We're closer to the former, but the latter isn't outside the realm of possibility. Lol.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

I think on top of giving up the fake punt itself, and the onside kick last week, it is extra frustrating because we all know damn well that we would never pull out something like that to try to swing a game in our favor. We never pull out all the stops, and honestly it feels like we probably aren't even looking for those weaknesses to exploit in the first place. Why would we when the head coach is too stuck in his conservative ways to ever pull the trigger on something like that anyway?

Somewhat related, if our kicker has the yips we are in big trouble. Because I honestly feel like we will keep trotting him out there no matter how bad it gets instead of adjusting to the circumstances.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 35 times

Poke in New England wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:34 am if our kicker has the yips we are in big trouble. Because I honestly feel like we will keep trotting him out there no matter how bad it gets instead of adjusting to the circumstances.
Ironically, the only way to get a good kicker through the kicker version of the yips is to keep trotting them out there. It's a gamble and a double-edged sword; you have to really believe in the kicker in order to take that chance, but it has to be done and you have to give them a couple more misses before pulling the plug. It's something they have to work through.

Also, not putting them out there in what would be obvious/normal FG situations actually does more harm than good. It doesn't just rob them of the ability to work through it; it actively undermines their focus and confidence.

There's a reason kickers usually get a longer leash than most players. Considering Hoyland is/was one of the best kickers in CFB, you gotta give him that opportunity. He's not given us any reason to doubt that he's a guy you can take that chance with. Again, every high level kicker goes through this at some point...I think if there was anyone to stick with and try to get through it, it's Hoyland.

(Also, to be fair, I'm not going to hold missing a 50+ yarder against any kicker, even Hoyland...and I almost never hold blocks against a kicker.)

As for the fake punt stuff, yea, it's infuriating and I actually made the same point elsewhere. It's insult to injury because the only time we try a trick play is some vanilla crap at the worst possible moment when everyone sees it coming from a mile away (see: flea flicker @ Boise State, 2019) and then we use that as an excuse to never do it again. Meanwhile, perhaps because we don't run any kind of trickery ourselves, we're never looking for it....so teams run them against us at will with almost a 100% success rate.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:54 am
Poke in New England wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:34 am if our kicker has the yips we are in big trouble. Because I honestly feel like we will keep trotting him out there no matter how bad it gets instead of adjusting to the circumstances.
Ironically, the only way to get a good kicker through the kicker version of the yips is to keep trotting them out there. It's a gamble and a double-edged sword; you have to really believe in the kicker in order to take that chance, but it has to be done and you have to give them a couple more misses before pulling the plug. It's something they have to work through.

Also, not putting them out there in what would be obvious/normal FG situations actually does more harm than good. It doesn't just rob them of the ability to work through it; it actively undermines their focus and confidence.

There's a reason kickers usually get a longer leash than most players. Considering Hoyland is/was one of the best kickers in CFB, you gotta give him that opportunity. He's not given us any reason to doubt that he's a guy you can take that chance with. Again, every high level kicker goes through this at some point...I think if there was anyone to stick with and try to get through it, it's Hoyland.

(Also, to be fair, I'm not going to hold missing a 50+ yarder against any kicker, even Hoyland...and I almost never hold blocks against a kicker.)

As for the fake punt stuff, yea, it's infuriating and I actually made the same point elsewhere. It's insult to injury because the only time we try a trick play is some vanilla crap at the worst possible moment when everyone sees it coming from a mile away (see: flea flicker @ Boise State, 2019) and then we use that as an excuse to never do it again. Meanwhile, perhaps because we don't run any kind of trickery ourselves, we're never looking for it....so teams run them against us at will with almost a 100% success rate.
Fair enough, but I'm more referring to the less obvious FG vs Go situations. The first missed FG was a 4th and 2 from the AFA 28, and came while our offense was rolling and pushing them around at the LOS. If your kicker is automatic then you can justify not going there, which Bohl never does of course. Even if your confidence in your kicker is 80% rather than 90-100%, it has to change the calculation. But this is all moot anyway because of how Bohl sees things.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 105 times

After taking a day to let myself even out, this game was everything we thought it would be. It was a rock fight between the unquestioned best 2 teams in the conference. We didn't come out with the win, but we're still in great shape for the rest of the season. This is a great time for a bye week, as we are almost always dinged up after playing the zoomies.
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 15 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:04 am To be fair, Boise State just gave up possibly the worst loss in school history to CSU.

Up 30-10 with 4:01 left to play and they actually lost 31-30.

If you've actually watched Boise State football this year, you've noticed that while they still have flashes of dominance, they also have glaring weaknesses...and this is probably the weakest BSU team since 2013 (Petersen's final year).

I'm actually more worried about UNLV at this point.
Boise, CSU, and UNLV are just as big as Fresno and AFA were. Team needs to suck it up and hit it hard.
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 11 times

Pokes are raging pissed at the loss (and for once not at each other). They are going to bounce back and be ready to play.

I was disappointed with how weak our run defense was against AFA. We usually don't give up any sort big play against them. Other than that, defense played well.

Offense played good enough to win that game.

Special teams - yikes - 7 points missed/blocked. A fake punt. Those could have really decided the game.

And some weird stuff too - like that fumble that was coming out that was missed.

Polosek is certainly switching things up a bit. Right, wrong, or indifferent, its leaving me guessing a bit.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

Outlaw Arthur Morgan wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:32 pm Pokes are raging pissed at the loss (and for once not at each other). They are going to bounce back and be ready to play.

I was disappointed with how weak our run defense was against AFA. We usually don't give up any sort big play against them. Other than that, defense played well.

Offense played good enough to win that game.

Special teams - yikes - 7 points missed/blocked. A fake punt. Those could have really decided the game.

And some weird stuff too - like that fumble that was coming out that was missed.

Polosek is certainly switching things up a bit. Right, wrong, or indifferent, its leaving me guessing a bit.
Could you elaborate on that?...I hope you are right...what are you referring to? This bye week feels like it has turning point written all over it. And it could go either way.