Congrats to the POKES - Game thoughts

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 601 times
Been liked: 239 times

Oh man. What a magical season. This has been fun. This team just has IT. They just find a way to win. I don’t care how it looks at this point.

The defense is nasty. They held Fresno to below their season averages and just make timely plays. We have some big time players, plain and simple. Godbout with the tip and INT was so so excellent. Big time players make big time plays. DeVonne Harris is a stud. Siders is a stud. Gibbs is a stud. Suianoa is a stud. White is just steady and solid wow. Taylor played fantastic and so did Hawkins. Total team effort to win us the game after the offense went MIA.

The offense was a thing of beauty in the first half. If we could just bottle that we’d run the table. Peasly played well. The TEs played well especially Welch and weiland had his best game ever. O line protected so well.

The elephant in the room is injuries. Please let Waylee be ok. Hope Tulafono is ok. Harsh? Need him back. Did eckler go done too? Need all hands on deck this week

Go poke. Darn proud of this team
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

My thoughts, if they can put 4 strong quarters together they could be unbeatable. The second half of Fresno St wasn’t anywhere near as good as the 1st half, but I’ll take the win. I don’t know if Bohl just gets conservative with a large lead or what. Anyway, nice win and 5-1 and headed toward a conference championship.

Go Pokes!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 3:42 pm My thoughts, if they can put 4 strong quarters together they could be unbeatable. The second half of Fresno St wasn’t anywhere near as good as the 1st half, but I’ll take the win. I don’t know if Bohl just gets conservative with a large lead or what. Anyway, nice win and 5-1 and headed toward a conference championship.

Go Pokes!
Scoring 0 points in the second half was the most predictable thing ever. Bohl knew it would probably be enough. I hate it but that’s how the coach operates
Last edited by LanderPoke on Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Waylee is the most critical player for us (I see Svoboda being as good as Peasley). I’m really hoping for some good news.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

Loved the way they came out on Sat. I thing Fresno was drinking some of their own Kool-aid and Tedford had them looking different in the second half but the Cowboys hot start and overall excellent first half was too much.

That On-side kick was unreall...it was totally predictable but it was also one of the better on-side kicks I've ever seen...Unless I'm mistaken .... the cowboys were not mis-aligned, the guy on the outside just got killed by an amazing kick.
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

Really hoping Waylee just got a little banged up and isn't hurt. The Pokes looked great last night, definitely bummed that Hoyland missed his first FG this season. Not even that much of a blemish on an otherwise outstanding game. Next Saturday in CO Springs is going to be intense.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

307bball wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:58 pm Loved the way they came out on Sat. I thing Fresno was drinking some of their own Kool-aid and Tedford had them looking different in the second half but the Cowboys hot start and overall excellent first half was too much.

That On-side kick was unreall...it was totally predictable but it was also one of the better on-side kicks I've ever seen...Unless I'm mistaken .... the cowboys were not mis-aligned, the guy on the outside just got killed by an amazing kick.
I was in the stands opposite the guy on that side - he wasn’t suspecting an onsides kick. He was going back into kick block coverage and wasn’t even close to the ball. They were totally unprepared for that.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:56 pm
307bball wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:58 pm Loved the way they came out on Sat. I thing Fresno was drinking some of their own Kool-aid and Tedford had them looking different in the second half but the Cowboys hot start and overall excellent first half was too much.

I was in the stands opposite the guy on that side - he wasn’t suspecting an onsides kick. He was going back into kick block coverage and wasn’t even close to the ball. They were totally unprepared for that.
I was there live as well and thought the same thing you did in real time. After I watched it back though...#20 definitely reacted like he knew the on-side was coming. On all the earlier kicks he moves toward the middle of the field hard and bends back to go block... on that kick he is much more tentative and when he does move it is toward the kicker...then the bounce went over his head...that was a sick bounce. *not actually sure it was a bounce*

Either way...very well executed by the Fresno kicker.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

307bball wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:56 am

I was there live as well and thought the same thing you did in real time. After I watched it back though...#20 definitely reacted like he knew the on-side was coming. On all the earlier kicks he moves toward the middle of the field hard and bends back to go block... on that kick he is much more tentative and when he does move it is toward the kicker...then the bounce went over his head...that was a sick bounce. *not actually sure it was a bounce*

Our guy should have signaled for the fair catch.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:53 am

Our guy should have signaled for the fair catch.
Yeah..that is the play on those pooch kicks....I originally thought it was a bounce where you can't fair catch it, but after watching...I don't think it bounced. #20's initial two steps towards the kicker put him out of position....the FSU guy caught the ball maybe 1 yard from where #20 was standing to start the play. If all he does is not move and call for a fair catch ... Wyoming would have retained possession. He moved like he thought it was going to be a traditional bouncy on-side kick and by the time he recognized the pooch kick he was already out of position.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

I was there as well. The problem was Wyoming's coaching staff stayed in there standard formation instead of one used when an onside attempt is likely. It was a great play by the kicker and Fresno's outside gunner but the real issue was our coaches got caught thinking Tedford would coach conservatively like Bohl and kick away instead of rolling the dice and trying to win the game.
PS #20 reacted in response to Fresno's shift prior to the kick which was different than their other kickoffs.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

doreno5 wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:14 am

I was there as well. The problem was Wyoming's coaching staff stayed in their standard formation instead of one used when an onside attempt is likely. It was a great play by the kicker and Fresno's outside gunner but the real issue was our coaches got caught thinking Tedford would coach conservatively and kick away instead of rolling the dice and trying to win the game.
PS #20 reacted in response to Fresno's shift prior to the kick which was different than their other kickoffs.