Next stretch

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

I'm getting more than a little worried...
UNM seems to always know how to play us and we are about to run into some defensive matchups that might be a problem.

Appy State is 59th overall D, 111 against the rush, and 84th in scores allowed. They had a good gameplan.

AF and Fresno D look nasty and their rankings reflect that. AF is top 5 total and rushing D. Fresno is top 30 in those categories.

bsu and csu have terrible ranked Ds at 117 and 124 BUT csu is 31 in rushing D and bsu is 73. For reference TT is 87th ranked rushing D.

I know only 4 games can skew rankings based on an individual game but I think we're about to run into some Ds that are Appy State level or better.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

There is a lot to be concerned about moving forward. AFA, Fresno, and BSU are all good enough and play with enough discipline that you aren't going to win against them by just hoping they have a bad game...you have to go in with a plan and execute it. In the rest of the MWC, if you aren't a screw-up, you can get a lot of victories by just playing mistake-free football.

You are right that it's early in the season to say who has top defenses and offenses but the picture is starting to form.

Fresno looks really good...The way our offense is trending, I would not pick us to win that game...maybe if we have a get-right game this weekend and roll UNM I will feel differently but the offense appears to be moving in the wrong direction.

BSU and AFA feel like a similar challenge though, so far, AFA feels a little inflated. AFA looked fine against two cupcakes and then took care of business against USU. The game against SJSU was weird because the second half was so lopsided. AFA might be really good or just average (IMO)....can't tell. BSU seems to be solid and may be getting better. Hopefully we can beat both of them but likely lose at least one of these games.

As far as the rest...if UNM, or UNLV, or any of the rest have a good gameplan or some great individual performances we could easily drop a game we weren't supposed to.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Wyoming covers UNM easily. Rocky Long is gone and I'm sure Bohl is breathing a sigh of relief about that. Rocky had his number
I'm good for 3!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

New Mexico is the conference team ive seen come to 7220 and beat us handily. I'm never comfortable when the Bozos come to town, and this weekend doesn't make me feel any better about the match up but we find a way and get a win. Fresno St never easy and AFA there is never easy either...we shall see what type of bowl game this team wants to go to...........Cmon Pokes get er done!!
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

Okay "Rocky Long is gone." I had to look this up and it caught me off guard.

He coached at Wyo in the early 80's if I recall correctly. Why did he leave UNM - his alma mater? He's old as hell but.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Change of scenery i guess...like most coaches do...i kinda wish he'd come back to Laramie in some capacity or another
Outlaw Arthur Morgan
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

I'm just trying to take this one weekend at a time and enjoy it while it happens.

I really have no idea what we have on the field. Some games it looks like the players are inspired and the coaching and game plan is genious. The next game it is like painting corn and watching the color change while it grows.

I do like the fact we aren't facing Rocky Long down there. However, UNM seems like they are always ready to derail us. That defies logic honestly.

I hope we score more points than they do this weekend.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Good or bad, we'll know reality the next 2 weeks. Best 2 MWc teams back to back.

Contenders or pretenders? We're about to find out. Going to be fun.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Wyoming's in an interesting spot right now. I think Boise's better than their record and could easily beat us, but even if we lose the next three, we're better than all the last teams on the schedule for sure. Yes, there's the whole Wyoming inexplicably losing to terrible teams thing, but I seriously thought this was going to be a 3-9 or maybe 4-8 season. A little more devil magic in Colorado Springs and at Boise, and we could go 10-2. Unlikely? Sure... but so was our comeback last week. :P
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:32 pm Wyoming's in an interesting spot right now. I think Boise's better than their record and could easily beat us, but even if we lose the next three, we're better than all the last teams on the schedule for sure. Yes, there's the whole Wyoming inexplicably losing to terrible teams thing, but I seriously thought this was going to be a 3-9 or maybe 4-8 season. A little more devil magic in Colorado Springs and at Boise, and we could go 10-2. Unlikely? Sure... but so was our comeback last week. :P
I'm not sure about unlv yet.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:48 am
Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:32 pm Wyoming's in an interesting spot right now. I think Boise's better than their record and could easily beat us, but even if we lose the next three, we're better than all the last teams on the schedule for sure. Yes, there's the whole Wyoming inexplicably losing to terrible teams thing, but I seriously thought this was going to be a 3-9 or maybe 4-8 season. A little more devil magic in Colorado Springs and at Boise, and we could go 10-2. Unlikely? Sure... but so was our comeback last week. :P
I agree on UNLV. They worry me....especially since that game is in Vegas.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

Next weekends game will be on OTA Fox. I want this win REAL bad.

Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

That's fair. I feel in general we match up well with them, but I guess we'll have to watch and see how they play somebody like Fresno to really know.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:38 pm

That's fair. I feel in general we match up well with them, but I guess we'll have to watch and see how they play somebody like Fresno to really know.
Definitely agree. I truly meant I just don't know about them yet...good or bad. Interesting team this year. Curious to see what the season reveals about them.