Peasley needs to sit

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:00 pm Wyoming was just flat yesterday after that big game at Texas last week. They should be fine for a couple of weeks.,Peasley may still be hurt though. Actually think they need to stick to the run more. This team seems to do better with running the ball than previous teams and the line blocks well for it.
Agree about sticking to the run. If there were ever a game when I wanted to see run on first and second down this was it. Polasec has no feel for how to call a game
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

I think Waylee deserves credit. He had 156 yards on 17 carries, which is 9.2 per carry. Take away his 75 yard carry and he's still at just over 5 yards per carry despite App State playing very shallow. Is he an all star? No... but his average would've been even better had we forced App State to spread out even a little bit.

All that said... we just need a QB who can zip passes, even if they're short ones. I'd take 4-8 yard completions at this point. That's what Svoboda brings, with 60% completions.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:35 pm I think Waylee deserves credit. He had 156 yards on 17 carries, which is 9.2 per carry. Take away his 75 yard carry and he's still at just over 5 yards per carry despite App State playing very shallow. Is he an all star? No... but his average would've been even better had we forced App State to spread out even a little bit.

All that said... we just need a QB who can zip passes, even if they're short ones. I'd take 4-8 yard completions at this point. That's what Svoboda brings, with 60% completions.
I think Waylee is an NFL player. He can run between the tackles, hits the hole hard and has elite breakaway speed. Brian Hill would have been caught on both of Waylee’s long TD runs.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:35 pm
Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:35 pm I think Waylee deserves credit. He had 156 yards on 17 carries, which is 9.2 per carry. Take away his 75 yard carry and he's still at just over 5 yards per carry despite App State playing very shallow. Is he an all star? No... but his average would've been even better had we forced App State to spread out even a little bit.

I think Waylee is an NFL player. He can run between the tackles, hits the hole hard and has elite breakaway speed. Brian Hill would have been caught on both of Waylee’s long TD runs.
I agree. He is rarely held to 2 or 3 yards. He hits the hole hard and cuts back really quickly. I don't know how many carries he can handle but 20 carries is not too many. I thought DQ was quick but Waylee is on another level.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

As others have said, Peasley maybe shouldn’t start even if he was healthy. No way he should be starting now.

I think our WRs get open fine. Some of it is throwing with anticipation which Peasley doesn’t do either. Windows are small and Peasley doesn’t have the arm talent nor vision to be very good.

Logan needs to show him how to wear a bandana btw.
W-Y, Until I Die!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

laxwyo wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:07 am

I think our WRs get open fine.
Strong take... Definitely a minority opinion on this board.

By "get open fine", do you mean they are just as open as the average college receiver? If so, I don't see it but I'm just going by eye test.

So many things are holding our passing game back. Solve any one of them and it's probably still a below average passing attack. I don't think Peasley is a bottom third quarterback from a talent perspective.... But he's not top third. IMO, the WR talent and development is largest failing. Just getting that category up to the median in college football would do the most work to raise the efficiency of the passing attack.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

Based on last year I thought Peasely was basically one step above Tyler Vander Wal, and I think that remains true. It's clear he is a very respected leader, so you factor that in too. According to Bohl, Peasley outperformed Svoboda in practice. That's an unusually direct statement from him. Which really makes me wonder - does Peas just get deer in the headlights in game situations?

BTW, Wyoming is now 125th in the country in passing yards per game and 123rd in yards per attempt. Back down in Triple Option territory AGAIN. In year 10.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 48 times

Waylee has been outstanding in the two games he has played in. He has a chance to be 1st team All-MWC and I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up in the NFL. He is clearly a major step above all our other RB's. Let's hope he can avoid injuries this season because that would really hurt us.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

TheRealUW wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:03 am

Waylee has been outstanding in the two games he has played in. He has a chance to be 1st team All-MWC and I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up in the NFL. He is clearly a major step above all our other RB's. Let's hope he can avoid injuries this season because that would really hurt us.
Yeah I find "Is he an all star? No..." kinda funny..

He is the best back I have seen in B&G since Brian Hill (Bohl basically said as much), and as was pointed out by somebody else he finishes runs that Hill could not. Whatever "all-star" is, he is it.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Hell yeah Waylee is an all star. He is as good as any back we've had since Hill. He is f-word legit. Strong, powerful, quick and FAST. I think Waylee has a chance of playing on Sundays, not just on a practice squad, actually playing.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Poke in New England wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:14 am

He is the best back I have seen in B&G since Brian Hill (Bohl basically said as much), and as was pointed out by somebody else he finishes runs that Hill could not. Whatever "all-star" is, he is it.
lol. damn I said the same thing without reading your response
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

307bball wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:04 am
laxwyo wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:07 am

I think our WRs get open fine.

By "get open fine", do you mean they are just as open as the average college receiver? If so, I don't see it but I'm just going by eye test.

So many things are holding our passing game back. Solve any one of them and it's probably still a below average passing attack. I don't think Peasley is a bottom third quarterback from a talent perspective.... But he's not top third. IMO, the WR talent and development is largest failing. Just getting that category up to the median in college football would do the most work to raise the efficiency of the passing attack.
Not saying switching the QB would cure all our woes, or even make us close to average as a passing team, but name a QB in the MWC that you wouldn't rather have over Peasley
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

It cannot be said enough...

5 of 15 for 31 yards and a pick 6.

That is our starting QB stat line. And we fucking won? :eek:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:26 am
307bball wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:04 am

Not saying switching the QB would cure all our woes, or even make us close to average as a passing team, but name a QB in the MWC that you wouldn't rather have over Peasley
You make a good point, but the MWC does not have a ton of top flight qb's....Cordiero, Keene, and maaaaybe Greene are kind of the best. But even they are not elite. I think you could switch out almost any of the rest of the QB's with Peasley and you end up more or less the same.

To answer your question directly, from what I'm seeing in the MW...I would take Peas over Legas and Mayden....but it's not overwhelming.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:23 am

You make a good point, but the MWC does not have a ton of top flight qb's....Cordiero, Keene, and maaaaybe Greene are kind of the best. But even they are not elite. I think you could switch out almost any of the rest of the QB's with Peasley and you end up more or less the same.

To answer your question directly, from what I'm seeing in the MW...I would take Peas over Legas and Mayden....but it's not overwhelming.
Not to debate your last statement, but...

Legas didn't suit up against James Madison. His replacement - Hillstead, went 25/47 for 399 yards with 4 td's and 3 picks.

Mayden went 16/22 for 241 yards, with 1 td and 0 picks.

Both are far superior to the shit we saw Saturday. Just telling it like it is. I am not sure ANYONE IN THE COUNTRY matched the heroic 5/15 for 31 yards, and a pick 6...?
Dear Karma,

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Cordiero, Green, Keene, CSU's little QB looks better, utah shart's new midget QB looks better, UNLV's looks way better, AF does not apply but I bet he can run better and throw about as well, NM looks to have a competent QB, NV QB can sling it a little bit too.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

McPeachy wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:36 am

Legas didn't suit up against James Madison. His replacement - Hillstead, went 25/47 for 399 yards with 4 td's and 3 picks.

Both are far superior to the shit we saw Saturday. Just telling it like it is. I am not sure ANYONE IN THE COUNTRY matched the heroic 5/15 for 31 yards, and a pick 6...?
Oh...If the question is "whose stats would I want"...than it's a different answer...virtually any MW QB has better stats. Our offense does not produce passing yards or passing td's. Peasley is a part of that reason but IMO he's not the primary reason.

I'm not impressed greatly by Peasley....but i'm not impressed greatly by any of the MW qb's. I'm just looking at it from an eye-test sort of approach. Peas impressed a bit during the Tech game...was up and down (more up) during Portland St and then had an abysmall game against App St. That result is on him.... but not totally. The offense on Saturday was really, really bad at most everything....not just passing. Once they cleaned up the penalties, the run game actually sort of functioned but it was not rolling over the mountaineers.

Switching Peasley for Svoboda could provide a spark and a different wrinkle that might lead to better success....andy maybe Svoboda will only get better if he gets under center, but I don't see a glaring talent differential as of right now. I think the case for Svoboda would be that he has higher upside...but I would counter with Bohl's iffy track record of making any signal-caller better.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:38 am

Cordiero, Green, Keene, CSU's little QB looks better, utah shart's new midget QB looks better, UNLV's looks way better, AF does not apply but I bet he can run better and throw about as well, NM looks to have a competent QB, NV QB can sling it a little bit too.
Cordiero or Green under center this year lifts our passing attack from last to ... maybe 9th?...maybe.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:51 am
McPeachy wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:36 am

Oh...If the question is "whose stats would I want"...than it's a different answer...virtually any MW QB has better stats. Our offense does not produce passing yards or passing td's. Peasley is a part of that reason but IMO he's not the primary reason.

I'm not impressed greatly by Peasley....but i'm not impressed greatly by any of the MW qb's. I'm just looking at it from an eye-test sort of approach. Peas impressed a bit during the Tech game...was up and down (more up) during Portland St and then had an abysmall game against App St. That result is on him.... but not totally. The offense on Saturday was really, really bad at most everything....not just passing. Once they cleaned up the penalties, the run game actually sort of functioned but it was not rolling over the mountaineers.

Switching Peasley for Svoboda could provide a spark and a different wrinkle that might lead to better success....andy maybe Svoboda will only get better if he gets under center, but I don't see a glaring talent differential as of right now. I think the case for Svoboda would be that he has higher upside...but I would counter with Bohl's iffy track record of making any signal-caller better.
That, and Bohl's stubbornness disguised as something else - like loyalty!
Dear Karma,

Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Poke in New England wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:14 am

He's been awesome, but I think to be called an all star, you need a bit more than 2 games to prove it. If he can keep doing this every week, then I'll be fully aboard the Waylee Express.