Hoyland

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 611 times
Been liked: 245 times

I read from Thorburn that Hoyland has two of the three longest FGs in the NCAA this year. Wow. He is truly on of the best in the nation
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 34 times

We had a debate on the Roundup the other night whether Rothe or Hoyland was the better kicker. Great case to be made for both.
ImageImageImageImage
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

MrTitleist wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:39 am We had a debate on the Roundup the other night whether Rothe or Hoyland was the better kicker. Great case to be made for both.
Hoyland is way better. How can this be a debate. What is the rationale for Rothe being better? I recall Rothe missing some big ones and he lacked leg strength
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 34 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:41 am
MrTitleist wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:39 am We had a debate on the Roundup the other night whether Rothe or Hoyland was the better kicker. Great case to be made for both.
Hoyland is way better. How can this be a debate. What is the rationale for Rothe being better? I recall Rothe missing some big ones and he lacked leg strength
Rothe was literally one of the top 3 kickers in the nation as a senior, finalist for the Groza Award. Hoyland might break through and win it, but Rothe was a very very good player for us.
ImageImageImageImage
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

MrTitleist wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:43 am
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:41 am

Rothe was literally one of the top 3 kickers in the nation as a senior, finalist for the Groza Award. Hoyland might break through and win it, but Rothe was a very very good player for us.
As a senior Rothe was great, but he had to work up to that point. Hoyland has been fantastic from the moment he stepped on the field.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Rothe had a 94.1% FG conversion rate in 2018 (a number Hoyland has yet to touch in a full season), placing him in the top 3 PKs in the nation and becoming a Lou Groza Award finalist. He's UW's all time leading scorer, still holds the career FG record at Wyoming, and his career long was only 3 yards short of Hoyland's. Coop was very good; let's not try to rewrite history.

Hoyland has a more consistently accurate leg over 40, and is more consistent in general over his career, but the gap isn't as large as some seem to remember. Hoyland may very well end up being the best PK we've ever seen at Wyoming, but I don't think that reflects poorly on Rothe at all.

Can we not just be grateful for the fact that we've had some excellent kickers over the better part of the last decade? Lol.

Having said that, I understand not wanting to hand Hoyland MWC ST PotW twice in a row, but he got straight robbed...just to give the dude from AFA a participation trophy. Makes me mad, lol.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:00 am As a senior Rothe was great, but he had to work up to that point. Hoyland has been fantastic from the moment he stepped on the field.
What are you talking about? Rothe's best statistical years (in %) by far were his Sophomore and Junior years, the Lou Groza Finalist position was in his Junior year, and his most points scored was in his freshman year.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/p ... oper-rothe
Last edited by DamThatRiver22 on Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Rothe career fg% - 77%
Hoyland career fg% - 86%

I just can't forget Rothe missing that kick at Boise in OT. Ugh. Both great kickers though
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:09 am
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:00 am As a senior Rothe was great, but he had to work up to that point. Hoyland has been fantastic from the moment he stepped on the field.
What are you talking about? Rothe's best statistical years by far were his Sophomore and Junior years, and the Lou Groza Finalist position was in his Junior year.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/p ... oper-rothe
OK, junior year, sue me. He took a massive step back as a senior, which was disappointing.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:10 am He took a massive step back as a senior, which was disappointing.
For sure, and I think that's what killed his shot at the NFL. Scored a ton of points as a freshman, was incredibly accurate the next two years, and then kinda blew it his final year. As a kicker you have to stand out all the way to the end if you want a shot at the pros, and he just kinda fumbled it away at the end (no pun intended) by being incredibly average, maybe a bit worse.

I will say to his credit, he hit his career long in his senior year.