Portland state game thread

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

Eckler is the only player on d that came to play today.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Many more missed tackles this week. Not sure I really noticed a single one last week, but I think there's been about five missed tackles at least in the first half today
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke

Good first quarter, ugly 2nd quarter
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Hoyland!

Nice 57 yard FG.

I had to look this up: the UW record is 62 yards from 1977.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke

Nice 3rd quarter across offense, defense and special teams. Hoyland has an amazing leg and accuracy
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times

Do we switch quarterbacks for the last quarter?
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

Why don't we let Svoboda throw? Like, at all?
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke

Not a great series but glad we are getting svoboda some reps
I hope we let him throw it sone this quarter too. Need some passing reps
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke

I hope we didn't go to backup QB too soon.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke

2 score game still with 7 minutes left. Do we go back to Peasley? Another 3 and out by offense could be very costly
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke

I guess coaches are confident Peasley will stay healthy the whole year. Hard to believe we play backup QB for an entire quarter and don't let him try a single pass. If Peasley goes down we will have to play a QB with 0 pass attempts
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 14 times

Quality snaps for Svoboda...FFS :thumbdown:
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke

Disappointing 4th quarter in my opinion. Glad we gave Svodoba some reps, but don't feel like we gave him a full opportunity with no passes. Defense gave up a touchdown and nearly a second one making the game feel a bit close for comfort. Glad it didn't come down to us recovering another onside kick
wwplayer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 8 times

After last week's big win, this game was kind of a letdown. We won, but there certainly shouldn't have been ANY drama, especially in the 4th quarter. Don't understand not giving your (inexperienced) back-up qb at least a few pass attempts.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Absolutely embarrassing and pathetic display of coaching and playcalling in the 4th quarter.

We've seen enough good things that it's not like it's the end of the world, but we better have some goddamned answers for that sh**show of an ending.

Overall, the offense and playcalling seems much improved, our DL continues to show why they're going to terrorize the MWC, and our ST is money as always. Our secondary seems to be pretty slow and continues to be a weak spot, but luckily our insanely good line makes up for it.

But that last stretch was absolutely bizarre and raises serious questions about our QB room. Peasley has a concussion history stretching back to last year, and he seems to be taking the hits worse and worse as time wears on. What are we going to do if he isn't healthy? Is our QB room really that bad, where we can't let our #2 throw a single pass in what was a near-blowout...even though almost every single run play had us going backwards?

And even if you don't want to or can't let him throw, fine...why were we calling the exact same run play over and over again, even though it wasn't working? The majority of the first-team offense was still in, so it's not like it was all a byproduct of having all 2nd and 3rd string guys in. Strange all around, and damn near let PSU back in this thing.

Oh well. On to Texas.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:24 pm Why don't we let Svoboda throw? Like, at all?
It’s ridiculous. Let the kid play . So annoying
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 146 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:30 pm
BackHarlowRoad wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:24 pm Why don't we let Svoboda throw? Like, at all?
It’s ridiculous. Let the kid play . So annoying
On 3rd on long at midfield, it made zero sense not to throw it deep along the sideline. If it’s incomplete, you punt. If it’s intercepted, it’s just as good as a punt.
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:08 pm Absolutely embarrassing and pathetic display of coaching and playcalling in the 4th quarter.

We've seen enough good things that it's not like it's the end of the world, but we better have some goddamned answers for that sh**show of an ending.

Overall, the offense and playcalling seems much improved, our DL continues to show why they're going to terrorize the MWC, and our ST is money as always. Our secondary seems to be pretty slow and continues to be a weak spot, but luckily our insanely good line makes up for it.

But that last stretch was absolutely bizarre and raises serious questions about our QB room. Peasley has a concussion history stretching back to last year, and he seems to be taking the hits worse and worse as time wears on. What are we going to do if he isn't healthy? Is our QB room really that bad, where we can't let our #2 throw a single pass in what was a near-blowout...even though almost every single run play had us going backwards?

And even if you don't want to or can't let him throw, fine...why were we calling the exact same run play over and over again, even though it wasn't working? The majority of the first-team offense was still in, so it's not like it was all a byproduct of having all 2nd and 3rd string guys in. Strange all around, and damn near let PSU back in this thing.

Oh well. On to Texas.
Most of what you say I agree with, but aside from the sacks, I thought the d line got pushed around. The LOS was instantly two yards not in our favor all game. They ran pretty consistently on us. It is concerning. They ran power a lot better than we did for the most part