MWC Week 1

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

Fresno State beat Purdue on the road. Their new QB threw for 350+ yards and 4 TD.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

Poke in New England wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:25 pm Fresno State beat Purdue on the road. Their new QB threw for 350+ yards and 4 TD.
Road to a conference champ looks much tougher that’s for sure
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Utah shart played Iowa fairly tough
Poke in New England
Cowpoke

Boise got spanked as bad as Ive ever seen them.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Looks like the Sheep got murdered. I didn’t watch, but the stats indicate an ass whippin
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

laxwyo wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:29 pm
Poke in New England wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 1:25 pm Fresno State beat Purdue on the road. Their new QB threw for 350+ yards and 4 TD.
Road to a conference champ looks much tougher that’s for sure
Some ding dong on another board was trying to tell me Fresno is a "cupcake" team. I said, Fresno was a conference champion last year. They will play anybody, anywhere. And they won a solid game yesterday. Purdue is no joke.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Most of the conference didn't look great, but the top dogs are still the top dogs. Just in a....slightly different order than we were expecting? Lmao.

We'll be talking about the Wyoming win for years, so I won't add too much to that here. By far the best performance in the MWC, against a high-powered offense and a deep, experienced defense that was supposed to be able to make a BXII title run.

Fresno State beat their P5. Though Purdue isn't exactly a top-tier P5, they deserve a a ton of credit. Definitely gonna be a dangerous team again.

AFA beat the snot out of their FCS opponent, but tbh I expected a little more and there's not really much that can be gleaned from that.

I watched quite a bit of the Boise State game. Yes, they got sh**stomped, but it's overblown by people that didn't watch the game and/or don't know anything about those two teams. Washington is a Top 10 team for a reason...and the mismatch between a Heisman-potential QB with an elite WR corp, and a young, untested secondary, was obvious as day. BSU will still likely be very good in conference play. Green looked like he has matured quite a bit in his control and decisionmaking, and that's a dangerous thing for the rest of the MWC.

Utah State is kinda hard to tell. They hung tough but still got beat; Iowa has one of the nation's best defenses but still has a piss poor offense. An offense that was so bad last year that a 25 PPG stipulation for any extension was built into the OC's contract for this year, and he couldn't even reach that against USU. So...jury's out on them for me.

Hawai'i looked somewhat competitive against both Vandy and Stanford. They're not looking too bad for a team that's still kinda rebuilding, not even playing in a real stadium, is dealing with a TON of poop at home (the wildfire aftermath), and is still working out the kinks in their first actual year with the Run and Shoot back. I think they could be dangerous.

The rest of the conference, though? Oh boy.

-CSU got curbstomped by Wazzu.

-SDSU barely squeaked by Idaho State, a week after barely squeaking by Ohio. Hoke gonna Hoke, as most of us knew he would.

-UNM got blown out by TAMU, although in all fairness to them TAMU is a T25 team and there's barely any expectations for UNM.

-Nevada got completely demolished by USC. Yes, USC is a Top 10 team and that should be considered, but as impossible as it sounds, the game wasn't even as close as the 66-14 score indicates. That team looked absolutely lifeless. Even SJSU played USC waaaay closer last week.

-UNLV handily beat their FCS opponent, but like AFA, I expected a little more of a beatdown. Bryant isn't exactly a top FCS team...having hovered around .500 for years now.

-SJSU was on a bye, but they looked semi-competitive last week for most of what eventually became a semi-blowout to USC.

This is gonna be a mighty interesting season in the MWC, lol.

Edit: I missed that SJSU plays today, my bad.
Last edited by DamThatRiver22 on Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:48 am Most of the conference didn't look great, but the top dogs are still the top dogs. Just in a....slightly different order than we were expecting? Lmao.

We'll be talking about the Wyoming win for years, so I won't add too much to that here. By far the best performance in the MWC, against a high-powered offense and a deep, experienced defense that was supposed to be able to make a BXII title run.

Fresno State beat their P5. Though Purdue isn't exactly a top-tier P5, they deserve a a ton of credit. Definitely gonna be a dangerous team again.

AFA beat the snot out of their FCS opponent, but tbh I expected a little more and there's not really much that can be gleaned from that.

I watched quite a bit of the Boise State game. Yes, they got sh**stomped, but it's overblown by people that didn't watch the game and/or don't know anything about those two teams. Washington is a Top 10 team for a reason...and the mismatch between a Heisman-potential QB with an elite WR corp, and a young, untested secondary, was obvious as day. BSU will still likely be very good in conference play. Green looked like he has matured quite a bit in his control and decisionmaking, and that's a dangerous thing for the rest of the MWC.

Utah State is kinda hard to tell. They hung tough but still got beat; Iowa has one of the nation's best defenses but still has a piss poor offense. An offense that was so bad last year that a 25 PPG stipulation for any extension was built into the OC's contract for this year, and he couldn't even reach that against USU. So...jury's out on them for me.

Hawai'i looked somewhat competitive against both Vandy and Stanford. They're not looking too bad for a team that's still kinda rebuilding, not even playing in a real stadium, is dealing with a TON of poop at home (the wildfire aftermath), and is still working out the kinks in their first actual year with the Run and Shoot back. I think they could be dangerous.

The rest of the conference, though? Oh boy.

-CSU got curbstomped by Wazzu.

-SDSU barely squeaked by Idaho State, a week after barely squeaking by Ohio. Hoke gonna Hoke, as most of us knew he would.

-UNM got blown out by TAMU, although in all fairness to them TAMU is a T25 team and there's barely any expectations for UNM.

-Nevada got completely demolished by USC. Yes, USC is a Top 10 team and that should be considered, but as impossible as it sounds, the game wasn't even as close as the 66-14 score indicates. That team looked absolutely lifeless. Even SJSU played USC waaaay closer last week.

-UNLV handily beat their FCS opponent, but like AFA, I expected a little more of a beatdown. Bryant isn't exactly a top FCS team...having hovered around .500 for years now.

-SJSU was on a bye, but they looked semi-competitive last week for most of what eventually became a semi-blowout to USC.

This is gonna be a mighty interesting season in the MWC, lol.
excellent break down. I agree with all. I’d put us as #3 contender behind Fresno and Boise at this point
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

SJSU plays today against Oregon State
GoPokes86
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 10 times

Watched the first half of the Fresno-Purdue game before heading up to Laradise and their QB and receivers are salty. Defense didn't look bad, but efficient offense and good decision making.

Not gonna read too much into Boise, they've got a ton of talent as always, but Washington is legit. Penix could win the Heisman.

AFA-cruise control
Sheep-yikes
UNM/UNR-no expectations there, no surprises
SUDS-Hoke is Hoking
Hawai'i-Gonna score a lot of points, I don't think they know that defense exists
USU-probably got an exceptionally vanilla game plan from Iowa, hung around, again not much to read into here
UNLV-who knows
Joser-Excited to see them against an interesting Beavs squad, looking forward to that game

Power Rankings
Fres
WYO
AFA
Boise
SUDS
Joser
Hawai'i
UNLV
USU
Sheep
UNR
UNM
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

WyomingAgJ wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:00 pm SJSU plays today against Oregon State
Sh**, I missed that. My bad.
LanderPoke wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:48 am excellent break down. I agree with all. I’d put us as #3 contender behind Fresno and Boise at this point
For sure; I'd agree with that. Obviously the homer in me wants to temporarily seat us as #1, lmao. But I just can't do that a) knowing how good Washington is, and b) knowing Fresno had an equivalent or slightly better performance, against an almost equivalent opponent...plus they have far fewer questions surrounding the team and coaching as a whole. They get the benefit of the doubt over us right now.

And of course we won't know anything definitive about AFA until the play some actual competition, which is two weeks away at the soonest.

Holy sh**; dide we just agree on a whole bunch of stuff? Haha.
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand

Oregon State won, 42-17. I thought for sure SJSU learned something from playing decent against So Cal.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:00 am Looks like the Sheep got murdered. I didn’t watch, but the stats indicate an ass whippin
Between getting their ass beat by Wazzu and CU/Wyoming both getting massive wins, the sheep tears were flowing heavily. Delicious
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

WYO_Fan_inPA wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:20 pm Oregon State won, 42-17. I thought for sure SJSU learned something from playing decent against So Cal.
Yea, definitely looked like they took a few steps backwards. (Although I will say OSU might be pretty good this year if they can clean up their defense a little.)
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Just a thought, but the extra1.8 million a year Boise gets needs to go away. They don’t justify it anynore
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Poke in New England wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:08 am
LanderPoke wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:00 am Looks like the Sheep got murdered. I didn’t watch, but the stats indicate an ass whippin
Between getting their ass beat by Wazzu and CU/Wyoming both getting massive wins, the sheep tears were flowing heavily. Delicious
I took a brief look at their board yesterday. One poster referred to the csewe coach as "Sub prime".
However, another poster had a truly brilliant plan to raise money for csewe athletics. Find a way to charge fans extra for leaving the game early. The amount of money they could make for an early exit fee could pay for all those coaches' buyouts!
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand

Colorado State would be a horrible addition to any power conference.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

bladerunnr wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:02 am
Poke in New England wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:08 am

I took a brief look at their board yesterday. One poster referred to the csewe coach as "Sub prime".
However, another poster had a truly brilliant plan to raise money for csewe athletics. Find a way to charge fans extra for leaving the game early. The amount of money they could make for an early exit fee could pay for all those coaches' buyouts!
That is hilarious. And part of the CSewe culture with FB games, has been that way for quite a while!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WYO_Fan_inPA
Ranch Hand

They haven't won a conference title since 2002. Lol!