Predictions Texas Tech

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

bladerunnr wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:47 am I would love to see us come out and play action pass on every play. I'm guessing the first 10 plays are scripted and probably 8 of them are runs. And when we do the 3 plays and a punt thing, the excitement of the crowd just deflates and there's this realization that the offense is going to struggle. And struggle. And struggle. For once, I'd like to see the offense do something where I could say "Wow, I haven't seen that before". Dream the impossible dream.
I can see EXACTLY how the offense is going to look in my mind's eye. And it's depressing
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

TheRealUW wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:07 am
phxpoke wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:25 am Nationally televised game. I really hope we keep it close, and the fans stay engaged. The game looks like it’s almost a sellout. Let’s shock the Raiders!
I'm not very familiar with what ticket sales typically look like 4 days out from game day, but it sure looks like there are plenty of seats still available. I'm sure ticket sales are ahead of most home games, but do we really expect this game to sell out? I'm genuinely curious.
Yesterday it was said less than 3,500 tickets available with a few days to go. Walk up sales are usually healthy. I doubt it will sell out, but I think it attendance will be 26k plus. Depends on how big a student crowd there is
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

bladerunnr wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:33 am
307bball wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:26 am

Unfortunately....if Wyoming comes out and does play action pass on every play...I don't think the likelihood of going 3 and out goes down.

Our offense will fail...whether it be via incomplete passes and sacks or via runs averaging 1.5 yards per attempt. The only way we score will be on long field goals, turnovers, special teams play resulting in short fields.
But in the unlikely event that we complete a few passes, it might open up the running game. I'm tired of watching opposing team safeties cheat up to play the run. We need to keep them honest.
Oh I get the concept. I just doubt the ability.

There is a reason nobody respects our passing attack. It is not threatening. Pass heavy or run...either way it's a pretty low percentage play. Play-calling is not the problem, sometimes you catch them off guard but offensive production comes from #1 Talent, #2 Scheme, and #3 Execution. Bohl's offense is all execution with no talent and a terrible scheme.
Matador96
Buckaroo
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 1 time

For what it’s worth, there will be a pretty good contingent of Tech fans making the trip. The Tech Alumni Association is sponsoring a tailgate at the stadium and they sold out that event in a few days.

Looking forward to a good game and cooler weather.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

I’m predicting Texas Tech to prevail 27-16.

I think the defense will play outstanding but I just don’t see it from the offensive side of the ball at this point. I’m predicting a mistake from the offense that will hand Texas Tech some points (hope I’m wrong).
johnywyo
Ranch Hand

Seriously doubt this TT is any better than the Illini.
It’s an opening home game, energy should be good, this RB contingent outside of DQ remains an unknown. If we get an early turnover and Peasley can take off sadly, running rather than passing. it could be tight at half. Get a few receptions from our TE’s and make it a ball game.

Not buying one bit the RR can stop our run, they give up huge defensive #’s per game/ 425 pg. But not sure we can score more than 17 to 20. That’s the real issue Craig, we need to outscore the opponent. Will leave it at that.
At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
Crow Creek
Buckaroo

TT 31
UW 17

Go Pokes!!
Gov of UW
Buckaroo
Been liked: 3 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:46 pm TTU 45-13.

There's nothing here. Not against a team of that caliber. Good defense and special teams, but the defense will get tired and ST by nature isn't as consistent as the primary sides of the ball.

I've spoken with a few TTU fans and they're very confident in their D-line at the P5 level; our offense is going to be obliterated.

Honestly, my prediction may be a bit generous. TTU is twice the team Illinois was, and we all saw how embarrassing that was. I'm giving Johnny two shoes the benefit of a couple long field goals...but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we actually don't score a TD.

Edited to add: We're missing our top two RBs, there's no indication Peasley has any more WR help (plus Pellisier is injured?), and it's still Bohl's system with Polasek in charge and Mike f***ing Grant developing the passing game and WRs.

I really hate to be a debbie downer, but this team doesn't show promise and this year's schedule is freaking rough.
Didn't know the Big 12 programs played defense!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Gov of UW wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:08 pm
DamThatRiver22 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:46 pm TTU 45-13.

There's nothing here. Not against a team of that caliber. Good defense and special teams, but the defense will get tired and ST by nature isn't as consistent as the primary sides of the ball.

I've spoken with a few TTU fans and they're very confident in their D-line at the P5 level; our offense is going to be obliterated.

Honestly, my prediction may be a bit generous. TTU is twice the team Illinois was, and we all saw how embarrassing that was. I'm giving Johnny two shoes the benefit of a couple long field goals...but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we actually don't score a TD.

Edited to add: We're missing our top two RBs, there's no indication Peasley has any more WR help (plus Pellisier is injured?), and it's still Bohl's system with Polasek in charge and Mike f***ing Grant developing the passing game and WRs.

I really hate to be a debbie downer, but this team doesn't show promise and this year's schedule is freaking rough.
Didn't know the Big 12 programs played defense!
Compared to SEC defenses, you're probably right. Compared to mwc defenses, the Big12 plays nfl-level defense.

Context is critical
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

In all fairness, I don't know anything about their backend. I just know that multiple TTU fans have mentioned to me that their line is supposed to be a point of strength for them this year. I also know that we show no indication of having a passing game that can challenge their backend, even if it is a relative weakness of theirs.

Also rag is correct; context matters.

I also think that while B12 defenses may not be as stout as some other P5 leagues, part of that has also been because of the historical style and strength of B12 offenses. Remember, Hazelton went to K-State and largely turned their defense around, but they still struggled at times in conference play. It's just the nature of that league.

Whole different ballgame (no pun intended) against a mid-tier G5 team like Wyoming with an abysmal offense.
rich22
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 6 times

Pokes all day! 35 to 31.

This is a quote from a Missouri article in 2019 and is the reason for my prediction.

"The Tigers were projected to be a possible top two team in the division, and with a couple of strokes of luck, a possible division winner.

Not many outside of the program were even worried about the Week 1 matchup at Wyoming. After a 40-13 win in Columbia in 2018, it was seemingly a foregone conclusion that the Tigers would handle the Cowboys, even with the elevation that Laramie, Wyoming, brings.

Turns out, Wyoming shouldn’t have been overlooked."

From CBS sports,

"Missouri: A major setback for the Tigers who were on the cusp of the Associated Press Top 25 poll entering the game."

I also think this year feels like 2007 against Virginia. That Virginia team ended the season with 9 wins and almost beat Virginia tech to play for the ACC championship. We dominated them that day in Laramie.

I know I am picking only the good games the pokes had but why not hope? Its the start of the season!!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

rich22 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:47 pm Pokes all day! 35 to 31.

This is a quote from a Missouri article in 2019 and is the reason for my prediction.

"The Tigers were projected to be a possible top two team in the division, and with a couple of strokes of luck, a possible division winner.

Not many outside of the program were even worried about the Week 1 matchup at Wyoming. After a 40-13 win in Columbia in 2018, it was seemingly a foregone conclusion that the Tigers would handle the Cowboys, even with the elevation that Laramie, Wyoming, brings.

From CBS sports,

"Missouri: A major setback for the Tigers who were on the cusp of the Associated Press Top 25 poll entering the game."

I also think this year feels like 2007 against Virginia. That Virginia team ended the season with 9 wins and almost beat Virginia tech to play for the ACC championship. We dominated them that day in Laramie.

I know I am picking only the good games the pokes had but why not hope? Its the start of the season!!
One problem....Bohl is NOT Glenn. I honestly think we're going to lose probably by at least 2 TDs, maybe more.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
rich22
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 6 times

Wyokie wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:09 pm
rich22 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:47 pm Pokes all day! 35 to 31.

From CBS sports,

One problem....Bohl is NOT Glenn. I honestly think we're going to lose probably by at least 2 TDs, maybe more.
The Missouri game was Bohl. We scored 27 points in 1 quarter that game! I see this game going like the Tulsa game last year, where we get touchdowns from 3 phases of the game. The 4th quarter we will score 10 unanswered points and win! I refuse to be negative before the season starts. Go Pokes.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

rich22 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:40 pm
Wyokie wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:09 pm

The Missouri game was Bohl. We scored 27 points in 1 quarter that game! I see this game going like the Tulsa game last year, where we get touchdowns from 3 phases of the game. The 4th quarter we will score 10 unanswered points and win! I refuse to be negative before the season starts. Go Pokes.
I like your positive attitude BUT....this is Craig "run, run, pass, punt, rinse and repeat" Bohl we're talking about. Until he gets his head out of his butt and realize this aint the 1970s anymore, we're going to see same ole same ole!!!!!! Rinse and repeat!!!! As my signature says, "I want championships!!! Not chicken poop!!!!"
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

Tech by double digits, thinking 42 - 20. Hope to be wrong as hell.

First play for WYO you ask? Run between the tackles of course! :willybs:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Our O line is pretty young. I hope they hold up well and make some holes to run through. Sucks that our top two backs are out to boot. Man, this is looking like a tall task. Perhaps DQ breaks a few LONG runs. Hope the defense is up to the task. I will be so irate if we hang with them for 3Q only to have our defense tire from being on the field most of the game.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

McPeachy wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:41 pm First play for WYO you ask? Run between the tackles of course! :willybs:
I disagree. I think it should say "Run UP TO the tackles of course"
Gov of UW
Buckaroo

I think if Pokes play our game, we have a good chance of keeping it close. We can't get suckered into TTU game. Is QB1 capable of zone read, I wasn't seeing much mobility from him last year. Use that clock, run that ball at elevation, slowly wear their defense down. Dbacks need to either give their receivers 5-7 yards pre snap or jam the living crap off them at snap.

Curious to how long it will take TTU QB to adjust to 15+ yard throws at elevation. Remember it took Colt McCoy start of 3 to figure out how to control that ball float at 7220 in 2008.

We were able to run the ball against Ohio with running backs that have never seen D1 snap. Yes I know Ohio is not TTU.

We were hanging with WSU till some costly personal fouls towards end of 3. If I recall we had the momentum till back to back 15 yard yellow flags, then the game got away. Pirates offense hasn't left Lubbock.

Coaching staff needs to find a way to get QB1 in rhythm. 2 runs, 1 pass, 1 punt, 2 runs, 1 pass, 1 punt........is not giving your QB a chance to get in rhythm.

Ain't nothing better than under the lights in September at "THE WAR"
Matador96
Buckaroo
Has liked: 7 times

Regarding Tech’s defense, they return something like 16,000 snaps collectively between the starting 11. The two interior DL are Super Seniors and have seen just about everything. The edge players are legit too. The secondary returns all 3 of the 4 starters and Tech added depth there. The only question mark is the inside LBs. They bring back contributors from last year. They are good, but young.

The offense returns just about everyone. (20,000 snaps collectively) We lost a RB, but still have 2 guys that have contributed and scored TDs last year. WR are tall and fast. QB is an NFL prospect.
Udubalum07
Buckaroo

The thing that gets me at least a little optimistic is the fact that tech had real issues stopping the run last year. Big 12 defenses are usually really geared p for stopping passing attacks and aren't setup as well for running attacks. Illinois was a terrible matchup to start the year. They ended up with one of the best defences in the country, and we couldn't do anything against that. Tech will be nowhere close to that level of defense. If the defense can force a couple early stops and the offense could sustain a couple of drives then this could be close.

I'm still going tech but will predict a 34-24 game. The passing offense for tech will end up hitting their stride in the 2nd half but will be close throughout.