If true, it's completely laughable

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:05 pm Crystal Ball MWC 2028:
That will be after the next playoff contract. What if the b1g and sec split?

There's a chance we're in a new tier of cfb with p5 left behinds.

So many unknowns.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

McPeachy wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:26 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:05 pm Crystal Ball MWC 2028:
Wyoming
Utah State
Nevada-Reno
SJSU
New Mexico
New Mexico State
UTEP
Air Force
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
(Montana and Montana State - - Less Likely)
(Utah Tech - a possibility)

While I believe that Air Force will have options, this conference will actually fit the Air Force mission better than some far flung PAC conference. So I see Air Force as staying. SJSU is the oddball but I don't see them having any football options other than perhaps the Big Sky which makes little sense. If this is how it shakes out, honestly this is a sensible regional 10/12 team conference for Wyoming. Will there be any TV/media dollars? No, very little. Will this conference be substantially worse than the current MWC? Not really.
I am probably overreacting a bit here, but if that was the conference make-up and only option for Wyoming, I likely will put myself out to pasture as a season ticket buying financial donor. At that point the 10-15k or so spent every year on things "UW Athletics", will be spent somewhere else.
You're not overreacting a bit. That's an awful lineup of schools. And the level of player we could recruit to a conference like that would be a big step down. The television money would be almost non existent and the fan interest might be the same.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

bladerunnr wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:13 pm
McPeachy wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:26 pm

I am probably overreacting a bit here, but if that was the conference make-up and only option for Wyoming, I likely will put myself out to pasture as a season ticket buying financial donor. At that point the 10-15k or so spent every year on things "UW Athletics", will be spent somewhere else.
You're not overreacting a bit. That's an awful lineup of schools. And the level of player we could recruit to a conference like that would be a big step down. The television money would be almost non existent and the fan interest might be the same.
Not an overreaction. That conference is roughly in line with the post MWC WAC. If this comes to pass... Wyoming could try the Boise State route and over invest in an attempt to escape that group but that seems like a long shot.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

Nothing is going to happen to whatever remains of the PAC 10 until the ink is dry on a new TV rights agreement. Like it or not TV money and viewership will be the deciding factor across all of college sports. The fate of UW and the rest of the MWC depends more on what TV executives decide than what is best for competition.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Looking more and more like the Pac as we know it is not going to exist in 24-48 hours.

Tuscon is probably the first domino to officially fall. ASU's president was allegedly wanting to stand pat, but the ABOR is now throwing a fit and is calling emergency executive meetings. Looks like they're both almost 100% gone to the Big 12.

Additionally, Washington has now (as of this morning) called an executive session with counsel present. (They, along with Oregon, were apparently already vetted by the Big 10 a while ago; we've just been waiting for that shoe to actually drop. The "leg work" is already done; they're allegedly just going over financial details with a fine-toothed comb to make sure it works.)

No word from Utah, but the last time major sh** happened Utah was apparently damn near silent until they signed the paper...just seems to be how they work. Very much a "behind the scenes" administration.

Wazzu, ORST, Cal, and Stanford are going to be all that's left. The Pac-12 and MWC are almost certainly going to merge under the PAC name. Only questions are:

Is there a full merger and it goes to the PAC-16? Ideal scenario for us, but probably a total pipe dream.

Does the PAC stay at 12 in a merger scenario, so 4 MWC teams get left behind? Very bad news for UNM, Hawai'i, Wyoming, and probably Utah State.

Do a few more MWC teams get left behind (potentially CSU, AFA, and potentially UNLV and UNR) while the Pac also tries to pick off the remaining top AAC teams (SMU most notably)?

Something to consider is that the PAC in its current position can't afford to pay a sh**ton of exit fees for MWC schools, so this is all highly dependent on just how many MWC teams band together in an effort to dissolve the MWC. I think it requires a 75% vote iirc.
BeachPoke
Ranch Hand

So just curious about the break up of the PAC .. When this is all done, I believe only Washington St. & Oregon St will be left.. combine them with the MWC. Can we get a better media contract when ours is up… right now we have time slots secured for what the next 2 years? which in my opinion is why the PAC could not get their media contract. Along with the BIG10 re-doing theirs ahead of schedule they jump in to grab any and all remaining time slots leaving absolutely no TV times..
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:03 am
bladerunnr wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:13 pm

Not an overreaction. That conference is roughly in line with the post MWC WAC. If this comes to pass... Wyoming could try the Boise State route and over invest in an attempt to escape that group but that seems like a long shot.
I thought conference strength didn't matter for anything? You just play the games in the schedule, right?
Last edited by ragtimejoe1 on Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

It's going to be rough on us, regardless. A pac merger will place us in a conference with 2-4 more teams our if our league in terms of resources and spending similar to tcu, Utah, and byu.

On the other hand, we may not have a conference or be placed in a situation nobody cares about.

I guess I'd rather get our tails kicked in a somewhat relevant conference vs being solid in a completely s.h.i.t. conference
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 232 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:39 am Looking more and more like the Pac as we know it is not going to exist in 24-48 hours.

Tuscon is probably the first domino to officially fall. ASU's president was allegedly wanting to stand pat, but the ABOR is now throwing a fit and is calling emergency executive meetings. Looks like they're both almost 100% gone to the Big 12.

Additionally, Washington has now (as of this morning) called an executive session with counsel present. (They, along with Oregon, were apparently already vetted by the Big 10 a while ago; we've just been waiting for that shoe to actually drop. The "leg work" is already done; they're allegedly just going over financial details with a fine-toothed comb to make sure it works.)

No word from Utah, but the last time major sh** happened Utah was apparently damn near silent until they signed the paper...just seems to be how they work. Very much a "behind the scenes" administration.

Wazzu, ORST, Cal, and Stanford are going to be all that's left. The Pac-12 and MWC are almost certainly going to merge under the PAC name. Only questions are:

Is there a full merger and it goes to the PAC-16? Ideal scenario for us, but probably a total pipe dream.

Does the PAC stay at 12 in a merger scenario, so 4 MWC teams get left behind? Very bad news for UNM, Hawai'i, Wyoming, and probably Utah State.

Do a few more MWC teams get left behind (potentially CSU, AFA, and potentially UNLV and UNR) while the Pac also tries to pick off the remaining top AAC teams (SMU most notably)?

Something to consider is that the PAC in its current position can't afford to pay a sh**ton of exit fees for MWC schools, so this is all highly dependent on just how many MWC teams band together in an effort to dissolve the MWC. I think it requires a 75% vote iirc.
You don’t need to dissolve the MWC to eliminate exit fees. A simple majority of current MWC schools can do so.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:18 pm
You don’t need to dissolve the MWC to eliminate exit fees. A simple majority of current MWC schools can do so.
I'd imagine it would be settled in court over fiduciary responsibilities.

I'm starting to think the side predicting wsu and osu to the MWC might be right. If they are all that's left and with the mwc buyouts, it might be the only option.

Hell, I don't know. This is chaos.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:39 pm

I'm starting to think the side predicting wsu and osu to the MWC might be right. If they are all that's left and with the mwc buyouts, it might be the only option.

I'm one of them predicting that. The only prediction I'm going to be wrong on is what happens to Cal and Stanford 'cos I had no clue on them.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Wyokie wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:43 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:39 pm

I'm one of them predicting that. The only prediction I'm going to be wrong on is what happens to Cal and Stanford 'cos I had no clue on them.
Buyouts and tv partners are pivotal. Just wsu and osu still have a conference banner that can be used to consolidate the best bball and remaining markets.

Smu
Bsu
Suds
Unlv
Csu
Fresno
Wsu
Osu
1 other

Gonzaga oly
St. Mary oly

Covers a lot of the best remaining markets and relatively solid in bball.

I think the step after b12 and b1g raiding is really hard to predict.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:13 pm
307bball wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:03 am

I thought conference strength didn't matter for anything? You just play the games in the schedule, right?
I've explained this six ways from Sunday at this point...I'm not saying you have to agree with me but it's obvious that you either don't understand what I'm saying or unwilling to have a conversation in good faith. **Edit...coming back to say...there is a distinct possibility I have been bad at explaining myself**

And yet....I'll try again. It's better to be in a big time conference than in a lower tier conference for all sorts of reasons...higher revenue, better recruits, national exposure, access to a national championship...the list goes on and on. That list of things is of great interest to AD's, university presidents, and Fans....coaches care about it as well because it directly correlates to how much they get paid, but it almost has no bearing on whether a coach gets fired or extended. I have consistently and clearly taken issue with using conference strength as a metric to evaluate coaching acumen.....that's all. If you want the $$ or you are into conference "pride" then it matters a great deal what conference you are in. If you are trying to decide if a coach is any good...the conference they are competing in is nearly irrelevant. Win a lot and you go down as a legend...lose a lot and get fired...same in every conference, same at every level .... from HS to the pros.

Look at the list of college football coaches with 200 or more wins...There are a lot of familiar names but there are a ton of names you have never heard of ... BTW Joe Glenn is on that list with exactly 200 wins!! If you get to 200 wins...you are a good coach...I don't care what level you are at.
Last edited by 307bball on Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
utaggies
Buckaroo
Been liked: 1 time

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:39 am Looking more and more like the Pac as we know it is not going to exist in 24-48 hours.

It takes 75% of the eligible schools voting in favor of such a motion for it to pass. A majority vote is insufficient according to the conference bylaws. With 12 football teams that means 9 votes would be necessary. There is no way Wyoming, Hawaii, USU, SJS, NM and Nevada would vote in favor of waiving exit fees if they would not be among the teams exiting. The real drama would be if CSU, BSU, UNLV, Fresno, AFA and SDS cajoled 3 other MWC to join them in disbanding the MWC and moving to the PAC with the promise that they wouldn’t be left behind. Airport meeting 2.0?
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

Just to add a little tidbit: The one media offer the Pac does have allegedly expires EoD tomorrow. (This is also assuming it's even still on the table after defections.)

Big XII has apparently approved Arizona; just waiting on ABOR approval (who is in executive session as we speak).

This sh** is moving so fast it's insane. Lol.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:44 pm Just to add a little tidbit: The one media offer the Pac does have allegedly expires EoD tomorrow. (This is also assuming it's even still on the table after defections.)

Big XII has apparently approved Arizona; just waiting on ABOR approval (who is in executive session as we speak).

Safe bet Arizona State will be leaving asap. Both Arizona schools are joined at the hip. Wherever one goes, the other ALWAYS follows.

Heard rumors that Stanford might go Independent. No idea on what Cal does.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand

Wyokie wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:56 pm
DamThatRiver22 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:44 pm Just to add a little tidbit: The one media offer the Pac does have allegedly expires EoD tomorrow. (This is also assuming it's even still on the table after defections.)

Safe bet Arizona State will be leaving asap. Both Arizona schools are joined at the hip. Wherever one goes, the other ALWAYS follows.

Heard rumors that Stanford might go Independent. No idea on what Cal does.
Yea, because the ABOR governs them both. Crow was actually content staying on a sinking ship for whatever bizarre reason, but the ABOR apparently said "oooohhhh no you don't".

HOWEVER, there are limited full-share slots available in the Big XII's media deal as it stands, and it's unclear how the Big XII wants to spend them or if they're holding out for other teams.

And yea, Stanford is in a position to bail and go independent. They're a bottomless pit of money and the top athletic department in the country overall thanks to their non-revenue sports and Olympic programs.

I've heard some Cal fans say it's entirely possible they park their sports in FCS, because admin just doesn't give a f***. They came to play school, as it were. Lol.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 50 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:17 pm It's going to be rough on us, regardless. A pac merger will place us in a conference with 2-4 more teams our if our league in terms of resources and spending similar to tcu, Utah, and byu.

On the other hand, we may not have a conference or be placed in a situation nobody cares about.

I guess I'd rather get our tails kicked in a somewhat relevant conference vs being solid in a completely s.h.i.t. conference
I think you're reading the room wrong. Take away the PAC TV money and Oregon St and Washington St are mid to lower tier MW teams. Both of their athletic budgets would be below Wyoming's.

This could end up being a really good thing for Wyoming.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

flyfishwyo wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:07 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:17 pm It's going to be rough on us, regardless. A pac merger will place us in a conference with 2-4 more teams our if our league in terms of resources and spending similar to tcu, Utah, and byu.

I think you're reading the room wrong. Take away the PAC TV money and Oregon St and Washington St are mid to lower tier MW teams. Both of their athletic budgets would be below Wyoming's.

I agree with flyfishwyo.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Wyokie wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:18 pm
flyfishwyo wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:07 pm

I agree with flyfishwyo.
The young optimistic pokes fan in me also agrees with flyfish.... But that personality is on life support. Given what has happened in college athletics in the last 30 years....I don't think it's going to get better or even stay the same for Wyo.