Marty English Under Consideration at UNC

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 324 times
Been liked: 127 times

7220 Report wrote:Just a little blurb.......

http://7220report.com/2010/11/19/marty- ... on-at-unc/
As we talked about before...

He was offered the HC position before Downing, and opted to stay (his kids were still in HS I believe). Not a surprise he is a candidate again, and will probably look at the position a little harder.

IMO, he is a goner.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

McPeachy wrote:IMO, he is a goner.
Good. Maybe we can bring in someone who will actually put in a blitz package and can teach d-backs to stay in coverage.

So the question becomes... who should be on DC's short list for D coordinator?

GO POKES!
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

wellpoke wrote:
Good. Maybe we can bring in someone who will actually put in a blitz package and can teach d-backs to stay in coverage.

GO POKES!
If this happens, I hope we can get someone proven at this level. To do this, the UW Trustees and Wyoming Legislature need to make sure the UW athletic budget to pay coaching staffs is at least the average of what the rest of the MWC have to work with. I doubt this is even close to being the case right now. This is the base of the problem right now I believe. If they don't want to fund it at that level, we are screwed and Wyoming will never get out of this hole.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

WYCowboy wrote:
wellpoke wrote:

GO POKES!
If this happens, I hope we can get someone proven at this level. To do this, the UW Trustees and Wyoming Legislature need to make sure the UW athletic budget to pay coaching staffs is at least the average of what the rest of the MWC have to work with. I doubt this is even close to being the case right now. This is the base of the problem right now I believe. If they don't want to fund it at that level, we are screwed and Wyoming will never get out of this hole.
Agree 100%. We are not committed to success at this level. Period.
BigSkyBears
Buckaroo

Anyone have any info on the progress with Marty coming to Greeley? Is he even interested in the job?
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 157 times

BigSkyBears wrote:Anyone have any info on the progress with Marty coming to Greeley? Is he even interested in the job?
Most is conjecture I believe. There are a few guys who have a finger on the pulse at UW, but most is speculation. If his D doesn't get better this next year, he'll be looking for a job anyway, IMO.
W-Y, Until I Die!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

laxwyo wrote:
BigSkyBears wrote:Anyone have any info on the progress with Marty coming to Greeley? Is he even interested in the job?
Most is conjecture I believe. There are a few guys who have a finger on the pulse at UW, but most is speculation. If his D doesn't get better this next year, he'll be looking for a job anyway, IMO.
Tough economic times right now...and a huge paycut. That may be the deciding factor. And as UW football goes...so does the staff. If we finish with 7+ wins next year, nobody is going anywhere.
Dear Karma,

BigSkyBears
Buckaroo

What is he getting paid at Wyo? I imagine he'll get paid about $100,000 at UNC.
cowboyz
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

BigSkyBears wrote:What is he getting paid at Wyo? I imagine he'll get paid about $100,000 at UNC.
Last season USA Today had an article with all of the coaches salaries in D1A football along with a range of the asst. coaches. I believe Wyoming's top end for asst. coaches was $150,000. I assumed that it was The OC and the DC that was getting the $150,000.
Poke Around
Ranch Hand

cowboyz wrote:
BigSkyBears wrote:What is he getting paid at Wyo? I imagine he'll get paid about $100,000 at UNC.
Last season USA Today had an article with all of the coaches salaries in D1A football along with a range of the asst. coaches. I believe Wyoming's top end for asst. coaches was $150,000. I assumed that it was The OC and the DC that was getting the $150,000.
If I remember correctly, when DC came in he changed asst salaries considerably, and the coordinators are more than $200,000.
BigSkyBears
Buckaroo

cowboyz wrote:
Wow, that's incredible. Montana pays the most for their coaches in the Big Sky and I think their head coach makes about $150,00.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 38 times

Poke Around wrote:
cowboyz wrote:
If I remember correctly, when DC came in he changed asst salaries considerably, and the coordinators are more than $200,000.
That's a solid living for asst coaches.
ImageImageImageImage
DanBoon
Buckaroo

wellpoke wrote:
How many times/places have I read that DC said, emphatically, "No more blitzing"?(One poster even quoted DC as saying, 'stop it if you want to keep your job"). Wasn't it on this board?

Do you really think DC is so hands off that Marty is calling all the shots defensively? Or,that DC is impotent to have an impact on our defensive scheme????
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

DanBoon wrote:How many times/places have I read that DC said, emphatically, "No more blitzing"?(One poster even quoted DC as saying, 'stop it if you want to keep your job"). Wasn't it on this board?

Do you really think DC is so hands off that Marty is calling all the shots defensively? Or,that DC is impotent to have an impact on our defensive scheme????
If you knew DC, you would know the answer to your question. He is (or has been early in his first HC gig) a MAJOR power hungry cat. That is shifting...although slightly. And yes, DC made that statement to Marty, but from what I was told, it was at the last fall scrum (not in a game).

DC likes to call ALL the shots. New guy - gotta make a name for myself - syndrom.
Dear Karma,

wellpoke
Ranch Hand

DanBoon wrote:Do you really think DC is so hands off that Marty is calling all the shots defensively? Or,that DC is impotent to have an impact on our defensive scheme????
I would hope he's not entirely hands off, but I would also hope that he'd let the guy he hired do his job.

All I know is our defense was definitely not what it was last year. Some of that is due to graduation, but I think a lot of it falls on English's shoulders. How many times were our d-backs beat over the top because they were cheating up to stop the run? What about the arm-tackling we saw for the first half of the season? Fundamentals were not what they used to be - IMO that falls on the coordinator of that group.

I'm not advocating for English to be fired, but I don't think it would be a terrible thing if he were to find a new job on his own.

GO POKES!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 38 times

Marty doesn't appear to be a candidate for this job, but his former boss Mike Breske is a finalist, along with three other guys.
http://missoulian.com/college/griz/arti ... 002e0.html
ImageImageImageImage