Laramie

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:14 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:47 am

I’ve personally never heard anyone say the current Prexy’s statue is offensive.

What it is to me and many others, is ugly, weird, out of place and a poor representation for the most visible place on campus. A huge steamboat like the one in front of the gateway center would make an infinite amount more sense. Statues like the ‘nuclear family’ have their place…just not in the center of Prexy’s IMO.
There was a student group that did find it offensive and protested it because it was the color white. The group also said that the nuclear family was a symbol of offensive whiteness.
:rofl: :rofl:
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:08 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:14 am
There was a student group that did find it offensive and protested it because it was the color white. The group also said that the nuclear family was a symbol of offensive whiteness.
People today are either too stupid OR just want to bitch about everything just to get their 15 minutes of fame!!!! :roll: :roll:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 82 times

Wyokie wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:49 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 3:08 pm

People today are either too stupid OR just want to bitch about everything just to get their 15 minutes of fame!!!! :roll: :roll:
I doubt they were serious. Sounds more like a prank and they thought the reaction was funny.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

MrTitleist wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:52 am
McPeachy wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 8:12 am

No!! Come on Mr. T! The Russin sculpture is spectacular. Called the "University Family Statue" is was extremely appropriate and important for its time (1983). Of course, with any institution of higher education, you are going to see blow-back / protests / etc., but personally, I love the art, the artist, and what it stood for when placed. Then again the whole "woke" and "cancel culture" mantra adds a bunch of unnecessary drivel.

https://www.wyomingnews.com/laramieboom ... 67fce.html
I would have never in a million years guessed you'd be going to bat for this statue. My comment was more in jest, but it is a strange statue for the middle of Prexy's.
LOL - I know, I hear what you are saying. All statues can be deemed strange (offensive, not representative, misunderstood, etc.) - in one persons eyes or another. I have a personal tie to Robert Russin, which likely pushes my defense of that one in particular, more than others.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

*slaps some purple hair on the non-binary kid statue and declares that it’s a statue of two dads

Good to go!

In all fairness, I agree with oredigger. It is sort of a poop statue and doesn’t really fit in with anything else. Move it and let’s get something more W-Y-O themed. Definitely not f-word skater dude.
W-Y, Until I Die!
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 15 times

doreno5 wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:54 am I doubt they were serious. Sounds more like a prank and they thought the reaction was funny.
That's my adopted nephew in a nutshell. He says things just to make others react and laughs. I tell him every time to "be nice" and that there is an implied ", a$$hole!" at the end of that statement when I say it.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Laramie is the land of dumb statues

McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:57 pm Laramie is the land of dumb statues

That is one of the worst in all of Wyoming. Wonder why no group protested and bitched? ;)
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:47 am
McPeachy wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 9:28 am

It is a University - everything offends everyone anymore. And I agree 100% with you...we are clearly eye-to-eye!

For the article to even reference replacing it with a "skater guy" statue? Give me a mufu'ing break. What a joke that would be, and UW would be laughing stock of the USA.
I’ve personally never heard anyone say the current Prexy’s statue is offensive.

What it is to me and many others, is ugly, weird, out of place and a poor representation for the most visible place on campus. A huge steamboat like the one in front of the gateway center would make an infinite amount more sense. Statues like the ‘nuclear family’ have their place…just not in the center of Prexy’s IMO.
The statue of Steamboat is outstanding. The last time I visited the campus me and another guy from out of state were just standing mesmerize and in awe of the statue. awesome.
WyoRev
Buckaroo

McPeachy wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:12 am
LanderPoke wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:57 pm Laramie is the land of dumb statues

That is one of the worst in all of Wyoming. Wonder why no group protested and bitched? ;)
Hmph. I drive by it everyday on my way to work, and I think it's pretty rad. It's a very unique piece. Before we get too salty about those protesting statues/on campus art-work, let's not forget about "Carbon Sink." We sure can get worked up about the silliest things.
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

Howdy boys. I'm sorry I have been away the last several weeks. Just got out of Ivinson yesterday and all I can say is that God is good. I see that the season is not too far away.