Player Turnover

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
wyosports
Buckaroo
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

I wanted to throughout a different take on the BB program for the sake of discussion. It seems to be the opinion of most on this board that the players all left on their own, but what if the majority of them got asked not to return. I don't have any inside information on how the exit interviews went with the players, but I have heard from more than one source that the coach has told players over the last three years to go home and not come back. I read what Maldo had to say about people asking questions and not always deserving an answer, but when a player asks a coach for direction on what they need to work on in order to play more, and a week later is told to go home for x-mas and not come back, that's a problem. The real question in my mind is how many of these players over the last three years left on their own versus being asked not to come back. I am aware of all the changes to college sports over the last couple of years, but the turnover that we have experienced under Linder in like nothing I have ever seen at UW or anywhere else. In my opinion if the coach doesn't take some ownership and make some changes to the way he communicates and treats people, then we will be talking about this again next year or maybe we will be talking about our new head coach.
jwy_poke
Buckaroo

Heresy. Substained.
wyosports
Buckaroo

I was just looking at verbal commits site under UW BB and found a list of all the players who could still be playing for UW and have left and counted over 20 kids (there are more names than that, but I didn't recognize some of them) that have left the program since Linder has been coach. For all the fans getting on the guard who left for Fresno you should understand like many other players, he was not wanted at UW. The problem started well before the Cali kids came to town. If you don't believe me, try finding the some of these kid's parent's comments after they left, not that different from what we heard this year.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 118 times

wyosports wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:13 am I was just looking at verbal commits site under UW BB and found a list of all the players who could still be playing for UW and have left and counted over 20 kids (there are more names than that, but I didn't recognize some of them) that have left the program since Linder has been coach. For all the fans getting on the guard who left for Fresno you should understand like many other players, he was not wanted at UW. The problem started well before the Cali kids came to town. If you don't believe me, try finding the some of these kid's parent's comments after they left, not that different from what we heard this year.
I think I’ll go with Maldos version of playing for Linder. This is all just fluff from my view. Noise…..
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

wyosports wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:13 am I was just looking at verbal commits site under UW BB and found a list of all the players who could still be playing for UW and have left and counted over 20 kids (there are more names than that, but I didn't recognize some of them) that have left the program since Linder has been coach. For all the fans getting on the guard who left for Fresno you should understand like many other players, he was not wanted at UW. The problem started well before the Cali kids came to town. If you don't believe me, try finding the some of these kid's parent's comments after they left, not that different from what we heard this year.
Linder has praised DuSell’s defense (at least to the media). Maybe he was saying something different to the media but it seemed that at least for the 2nd half of the season that Linder was very high on DuSell. Now I do note that in the early going DuSell was not getting too many minutes.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

I don’t buy he wasn’t wanted. Dussel can defend the perimeter and shoot 40% from three. There is a spot for a guy like that in almost any rotation in the country.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:02 pm
I don’t buy he wasn’t wanted. Dussel can defend the perimeter and shoot 40% from three. There is a spot for a guy like that in almost any rotation in the country.
That’s my outside view too. It doesn’t make any sense that Linder would want to run DuSell off. The dude flat out plays hard and can defend with the best of guards when he is in the game.
wyosports
Buckaroo

So if the coach wanted him to stay, why did he leave? If you are going to tell me that FSU was his best offer, then you are wrong, he could have stayed at home and played for a team that was in the NCAA tournament.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

wyosports wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:11 pm So if the coach wanted him to stay, why did he leave? If you are going to tell me that FSU was his best offer, then you are wrong, he could have stayed at home and played for a team that was in the NCAA tournament.
This makes no sense. It suggests that players only leave if coaches don’t want them to stay. We all know that isn’t true. And a coach that has 8 open schollies (at the time DuSell hit the portal) certainly doesn’t want any remaining player with a pulse to leave. Linder appears to have his flaws but he isn’t dumb nor illogical.

The obvious answer as an outside observer is DuSell either doesn’t like Linder and/or Laramie or less likely and perhaps he simply didn’t want to stick around for a rebuild.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:02 pm
Dusell averaged 24+ minutes a game since he was a freshman. 0% chance Linder told him not to come back.