Former Player

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:31 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:46 pm Guess this all means very little to him. What an ass hole.
You’re completely wrong. As others have pointed out, Ewing is one of the classiest players we have had at Wyoming. He tells the truth and is a great person. You’re way off base here.
He tells the truth that he didn’t want to be here at first and still didn’t want to be here half way through his career. The comment was a slap in the face to the fans that cheered for him every game and loved him unconditionally, me included. Kinda pathetic Wyoming fans just take it and make excuses for him and comments like this. He just told you your school and your support wasn’t good enough and he would not have done it again given the chance. Forget him.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

My $0.02 which doesn't amount to jack squat with inflation being what it is :roll: ...

For those pissed at what he said...let it go...that was a long time ago. Move on. So he had second thoughts and only posted them online now. In the grand scheme of things...who give's a rat's ass!!!!

I've had second thoughts on a lot of things. We all have. So give it a rest. Some of you are going to end up having ulcers if you keep getting pissed at everything. Hate to say this but....LIFE AINT FAIR!!!!!!!.

Gawd football season can't get here any sooner. :roll:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:43 pm

You’re completely wrong. As others have pointed out, Ewing is one of the classiest players we have had at Wyoming. He tells the truth and is a great person. You’re way off base here.
He tells the truth that he didn’t want to be here at first and still didn’t want to be here half way through his career. The comment was a slap in the face to the fans that cheered for him every game and loved him unconditionally, me included. Kinda pathetic Wyoming fans just take it and make excuses for him and comments like this. He just told you your school and your support wasn’t good enough and he would not have done it again given the chance. Forget him.
Wyoming wasn’t my school. Wyoming is my hometown. Similarly to DePaul being Ewing’s hometown school.

Ewing is a smart guy. He told the truth. He didn’t need to say anything but you could learn a lot listening to him.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 14 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:37 pm
flyfishwyo wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:00 pm

Doucheist comment of the year. Either you didn't read the whole thread or you're a dumbass. I'm going with dumbass.
kiss my butt.

He didn’t even add a “but I’m glad I finished my career in the brown and gold” or anything like that. Orbthat he was grateful to be a cowboy and glad that he stayed. And he doubled down on his stance that he should have left UW in the dust in the comments of his tweet. A great was to endear yourself to the people that supported you all these years. Good grief. How can you take it any other way is beyond me
Oh Noes!!!! A Wyoming HOFer didn't kiss your butthurt ass after making a hypothetical statement about what he might have done after a coaching change after his sophomore year. He stuck with the program when HE COULD HAVE TRANSFERED and ended up being one of the all time greats at the University of Wyoming! WTF else does he owe you, as a fan, that he hasn't already delivered?

Dude, get over yourself and your drummed up indignation over something that DOESN"T MATTER!!!!!!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Just curious if you see your own hypocrisy - you railed relentlessly on football player Luke Talich because he dared go to another school other than the hometown Wyoming. Now you rail on Ewing because he basically says given the opportunity he probably would have played at hometown DePaul.

Ewing is being honest. We may be disappointed as fans that he wasn’t enamored with Wyoming at first sight but, likewise, I wasn’t enamored with chicago at first sight. We all have our biases influenced by where we grew up and where our family is. I’m glad former athletes like Ewing speak up and tell their truthful story. It helps us figure out what we need to do to be successful.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 50 times

You're pissed because he said his first choice would have been his hometown team? Dumbass.

"The comment was a slap in the face to the fans that cheered for him every game and loved him unconditionally, me included." What a bunch of cr*p. UW fan support isn't consistent. The real kicker here is that you seem to think you've showed some sort of unconditional love or support to the program. Do you even read what you post? Your obvious lack of self awareness is amazing.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

MF'ing social media. Didn't really exist then for Brandon (or anyone else, maybe except MySpace, lol?!) - and our world was a better place regardless. Was his most recent transfer post necessary though? Honestly, why put it out there? Need some attention? That is my question...and my concern. That's all.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:58 am MF'ing social media. Didn't really exist then for Brandon (or anyone else, maybe except MySpace, lol?!) - and our world was a better place regardless. Was his most recent transfer post necessary though? Honestly, why put it out there? Need some attention? That is my question...and my concern. That's all.
It serves a purpose showing that he understands and supports JO's decision. If anyone might have the insight of what its like coming from Chicago to Laramie, Ewing would. It's better to have the truth out there so that we can address it and makes decisions on where our recruiting efforts should be rather than bury our heads in the sand.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:52 am
McPeachy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:58 am MF'ing social media. Didn't really exist then for Brandon (or anyone else, maybe except MySpace, lol?!) - and our world was a better place regardless. Was his most recent transfer post necessary though? Honestly, why put it out there? Need some attention? That is my question...and my concern. That's all.
It serves a purpose showing that he understands and supports JO's decision. If anyone might have the insight of what its like coming from Chicago to Laramie, Ewing would. It's better to have the truth out there so that we can address it and makes decisions on where our recruiting efforts should be rather than bury our heads in the sand.
Yeah, well, that doesn't answer my question - that is a guess (your guess). He is an alumni, hall of famer, and endeared by WYO basketball fans everywhere. So, he chose to throw that out there in support of JO? For what purpose again? My guess is for the attention (call it being a social media "friendly ladies").

And as far as the Chicago thing goes - I don't buy it. WYO has had 100's of successful recruits from that area, that didn't post anything either way. Read anything about Chicago in the news the last few years? That place is like living in f-word Beirut. I would think some athletes from that area would LOVE the chance to GTFO of there. So once again, I am not sure we should be thanking him and "kissing his ass" for using social media to "understand and support" one of the many former athletes, who happen to be in Chicago.

In fact, I could have (and many other WYO fans as well) done without his dime on the topic.
Dear Karma,

rich22
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 6 times

Do you think this comment had a bit to do with Heath Schroyer getting hired around the time he said he should have transferred? He retweeted a comment about someone saying "Seems like you did pretty good at Wyoming". It seems he liked the McClain Wyoming and not the Schroyer Wyoming. I think I would agree with him. haha! He never said that he wished he would have never gone to Wyoming in the first place that I have seen.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

rich22 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:14 pm Do you think this comment had a bit to do with Heath Schroyer getting hired around the time he said he should have transferred? He retweeted a comment about someone saying "Seems like you did pretty good at Wyoming". It seems he liked the McClain Wyoming and not the Schroyer Wyoming. I think I would agree with him. haha! He never said that he wished he would have never gone to Wyoming in the first place that I have seen.
I think it is this. A guy looks back and sees how those Shroyer years went and in hindsight wishes he had transferred. Not too deep.
W-Y, Until I Die!
wwplayer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 8 times

McPeachy wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:48 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:52 am

Yeah, well, that doesn't answer my question - that is a guess (your guess). He is an alumni, hall of famer, and endeared by WYO basketball fans everywhere. So, he chose to throw that out there in support of JO? For what purpose again? My guess is for the attention (call it being a social media "friendly ladies").

And as far as the Chicago thing goes - I don't buy it. WYO has had 100's of successful recruits from that area, that didn't post anything either way. Read anything about Chicago in the news the last few years? That place is like living in f-word Beirut. I would think some athletes from that area would LOVE the chance to GTFO of there. So once again, I am not sure we should be thanking him and "kissing his ass" for using social media to "understand and support" one of the many former athletes, who happen to be in Chicago.

In fact, I could have (and many other WYO fans as well) done without his dime on the topic.
I have to wonder if you ever have even been to Chicago, or even lived some other place (especially a city) than Wyoming. If people's only knowledge of a place is what they've seen on the news, they are definitely not getting the whole picture. I was born and raised in WY and am a proud graduate of UW. That said, I have lived a number of other places (western Nebraska, eastern Washington, Denver, Tucson, New York City) and now have been in Chicago (not the suburbs) for several decades. It's a great city and very livable. I've never had even the slightest problem. Sure, anytime you put a lot of people in a small geographic there will be "news", but to call a city "f-word Beirut" without first hand knowledge is not helpful. So for a native big city kid to always thrive in a small isolated town like Laramie is just not going to happen. Some might, some might not. The culture shock is a lot to handle. From my own personal experience, moving from Laramie to rural western Nebraska was a much, much bigger culture shock than this Cowboy ever felt moving to NYC. City life can be very appealing. BTW, over the years (while I was teaching), I would always promote UW to my students, even worked a bunch as a volunteer rep for UW at college fairs. As positive as I could be about the kind of great, reasonably priced education I got, UW was always a really hard sell for city kids. I personally think that railing against JO or Ewing like this is just counterproductive and should be avoided.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

wwplayer wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:19 pm

I have to wonder if you ever have even been to Chicago, or even lived some other place (especially a city) than Wyoming. If people's only knowledge of a place is what they've seen on the news, they are definitely not getting the whole picture. I was born and raised in WY and am a proud graduate of UW. That said, I have lived a number of other places (western Nebraska, eastern Washington, Denver, Tucson, New York City) and now have been in Chicago (not the suburbs) for several decades. It's a great city and very livable. I've never had even the slightest problem. Sure, anytime you put a lot of people in a small geographic there will be "news", but to call a city "f-word Beirut" without first hand knowledge is not helpful. So for a native big city kid to always thrive in a small isolated town like Laramie is just not going to happen. Some might, some might not. The culture shock is a lot to handle. From my own personal experience, moving from Laramie to rural western Nebraska was a much, much bigger culture shock than this Cowboy ever felt moving to NYC. City life can be very appealing. BTW, over the years (while I was teaching), I would always promote UW to my students, even worked a bunch as a volunteer rep for UW at college fairs. As positive as I could be about the kind of great, reasonably priced education I got, UW was always a really hard sell for city kids. I personally think that railing against JO or Ewing like this is just counterproductive and should be avoided.
Well said. Living in different parts of the country definitely opens your eyes to what preconceived ideas people have about a place. Most of them unfair or half-true. It's hard to see the true pros and cons of a place (and EVERYWHERE has pros and cons) until you have roots there.

As far as UW athletics goes, I tend to think that winning cures all. Plenty of peer schools aren't located in the hottest destinations (ABQ, Fresno for example) but have found sustained success before. Is Laramie really so much more of a hard sell than those places? I guess if it is, then having a legit recruiter is that much more important. But again, win and set the right culture and dudes will come play for you.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

First question - yes, numerous, for a substantial amount of years. And yes, I am very familiar with Northern Illinois / Chicago. Question back - do you venture south of 80 at all, spend any time in neighboring Gary, or are you a northern Chicago burb regular? And sorry to adamantly disagree, but railing against JO or Ewing? I am calling it like I see it, a former HOF basketball star trashed (my perception) his former university (MY university), in support of an athlete that walked out / quit. f-word that...I won't ever be a fan of something like that.
Dear Karma,

McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Poke in New England wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:49 pm
Well said. Living in different parts of the country definitely opens your eyes to what preconceived ideas people have about a place. Most of them unfair or half-true. It's hard to see the true pros and cons of a place (and EVERYWHERE has pros and cons) until you have roots there.

As far as UW athletics goes, I tend to think that winning cures all. Plenty of peer schools aren't located in the hottest destinations (ABQ, Fresno for example) but have found sustained success before. Is Laramie really so much more of a hard sell than those places? I guess if it is, then having a legit recruiter is that much more important. But again, win and set the right culture and dudes will come play for you.
Chicago isn't for everyone, neither is Laramie. But why poop on Laramie (and UW) on social media like that? Hopefully you will get my point - all places can be poop on - but that opinion (on social media for all to read) that is coming from a former HOF basketball star toward the place he earned it all, is ridiculous and low class. Sorry, call me a despicable venomous Wyoming fan if you want...I will defend UW and all things Wyoming until I am dead.
Dear Karma,

wwplayer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 8 times

McPeachy wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:31 pm
Poke in New England wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:49 pm

Chicago isn't for everyone, neither is Laramie. But why poop on Laramie (and UW) on social media like that? Hopefully you will get my point - all places can be poop on - but that opinion (on social media for all to read) that is coming from a former HOF basketball star toward the place he earned it all, is ridiculous and low class. Sorry, call me a despicable venomous Wyoming fan if you want...I will defend UW and all things Wyoming until I am dead.
I appreciate your passion. It's obvious that you care about Cowboy athletics and Wyo in general. I just don't think that Brandon Ewing was really crapping on Wyoming. He was just stating that JO wanted to play for his home town team and could sympathize and support his decision. Being honest about the culture shock he must have felt coming to Laramie from Chicago, and the feelings he had about the coaching change just do not rise to the level of actually dumping on UW and the state, IMHO. And in answer to your question: no, very little time in Gary, IN; some time south of I80; not in the northern suburbs much. I did spend a lot of years teaching on Chicago's South Side and (especially) West Side - definitely not the best areas.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

wwplayer wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:16 pm
McPeachy wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:31 pm

I appreciate your passion. It's obvious that you care about Cowboy athletics and Wyo in general. I just don't think that Brandon Ewing was really crapping on Wyoming. He was just stating that JO wanted to play for his home town team and could sympathize and support his decision. Being honest about the culture shock he must have felt coming to Laramie from Chicago, and the feelings he had about the coaching change just do not rise to the level of actually dumping on UW and the state, IMHO. And in answer to your question: no, very little time in Gary, IN; some time south of I80; not in the northern suburbs much. I did spend a lot of years teaching on Chicago's South Side and (especially) West Side - definitely not the best areas.
Fair statement. I spent most of my time in Bloomingdale and Schaumburg, and when I had to - some in Naperville and OP. The latter were just not my favs.
Dear Karma,

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

flyfishwyo wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:24 am
You're pissed because he said his first choice would have been his hometown team? Dumbass.

"The comment was a slap in the face to the fans that cheered for him every game and loved him unconditionally, me included." What a bunch of cr*p. UW fan support isn't consistent. The real kicker here is that you seem to think you've showed some sort of unconditional love or support to the program. Do you even read what you post? Your obvious lack of self awareness is amazing.
Hey screw you, butt wipe.

These players don't care about my school, town or state. So I'm beginning to wonder if I should give a crap about them. And you're pathetic. I bet you're the kind of guy that wishes all our former players that transfer well and roots for them. I bet you root for the guy that stole your girlfriend. No pride whatsoever. It's honestly pathetic.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:21 pm

These players don't care about my school, town or state. So I'm beginning to wonder if I should give a crap about them. And you're pathetic. I bet you're the kind of guy that wishes all our former players that transfer well and roots for them. I bet you root for the guy that stole your girlfriend. No pride whatsoever. It's honestly pathetic.
Just curious- are you a fan of any pro sports team?
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:21 pm

This isn't the first time I've heard the "root for the guy that stole your girlfriend" on this board...I'm guessing it was you the other time as well. What is the relationship you have to the sports teams you cheer for? If it rises to the level of a partner (spouse or otherwise) then I guess your weird animosity towards players that transfer is at least somewhat explicable.

My advice....get some perspective...the 18 or so year old kids that play for Wyoming have way to much impact on your mental state.